Stephone Anthony Film Study 2015-2016 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Stephone Anthony Film Study 2015-2016

It's definitely sad to see a LB without athleticism these days. But honestly, just being athletic isn't enough. I still maintain that LB is the most instinctive position on the football field. It requires constantly reading signals all around you and knowing tendencies. Athletics only really comes in at the point you figure out what's going on around you. If you take a tick to process that, you become a Channing Crowder type, with all-world physical ability but average to below average production. He goes from point A to point B in 1.5 seconds, but it takes him 0.5 more to figure out that he needs to get to point B, so his total travel time ends up being 2.0 seconds ... which negates most of his athleticism.

Guys like Zach Thomas looked fast because they figured stuff out before everyone else. Their eyes took in information all across the field, not just in front of them, but also wide peripheral vision. Then they processed that information lightning quick and matched it up with the patterns they had studied on film. So, they concluded that there was a 75% chance that they'd need to get to point B before it even happened, so they'd cheat and take 1 step in that direction. Then when the play took a half-beat more the likelihood went up to 90% that they were going to point B, they took off, arriving way before they were expected and royally pizzing off the offensive players who couldn't figure out why this small slow guy kept beating them to their spot. When you pair that kind of eyes and mind with elite athletic skills, you get guys like Patrick Willis. And honestly, Anthony's athletic ability is probably ahead of Willis' but he's not even in the race with vision and processing.

Alas, our scouting department keeps thinking that foot talent is 90% of what they're looking for in a player. Speed, quickness ... sure, it's very important ... but so is technique. The Patriots prioritize technique ... we never do.

Yeah, I'd definitely put instincts as a priority for a linebacker. It's huge. Not sure it can be coached up. Perhaps a little bit.

That Anthony lacks there makes you wonder, but the coaching staff must have a specific plan with him. I don't think they are viewing Anthony as a starter by any means. If he can contribute then that's more than a lot of 5th rounders give you --- even though Miami has had a lot of success in that round.

a couple of things, if the biggest gripe is he is brain dead, it is easier to live with that, than a talentless LB'er and easier to fix or deal with than a slow LB or non athletic one. First off no one is going to giving him Mike duties here and a good Mike will corral him and get him place and can get him to his assignment pre snap, if he could at least learn the defense calls for just himself not the whole defense he should be fine. From what i have read kid was overwhelmed not that he sucked, good coaching which we have can fix these things, NO has horrendously bad defense coaches/scheme/tirefire, this kid fell threw the cracks. Now another good useful thing is he can be a monster on special teams were very minimal thinking is needed, all he needs to be is a human missile, seek the ball you big dummy and blow up who is carrying it, this team can use a guy just like that. all he needs is to be put in situations where he can succeed and let his natural talent take over, and this coaching staff from Gase on down has shown it can do that.

I gotta say, this dude LOOKS like a LB! Im happy about the potential here!!

I know we've been knocking New Orleans for having a bad defensive coaching and scheme, and rightfully so, but why are some so confident that we are any different in those areas?

Back
Top Bottom