Sun Life Stadium | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Sun Life Stadium

I've always felt it's a terrible facility for watching football games, but I think the big problem is that there is terrible football being played there.

Correct on both accounts. The stadium is awful with the seats much too far from the field and the product on that field is even worse. I miss going to games in the actual Orange Bowl.

The Orange Bowl game has failed to sell out properly quite a lot in recent memory. Obviously, people don't like going to this stadium, whoever is playing.

I despise the place. I barely tolerate it for Canes games but once you look at an old video of a game in the Orange Bowl you realize the difference in atmosphere and home field edge is even more dramatic than mere memory allows.

I had an opportunity to go to the game tonight but declined. I was offered two tickets for 30 bucks total in a good location, low upper deck at the goal line. The reason I didn't go was very simple...I'm not driving 45 minutes to a stadium I despise if I'm forced to pay 30 bucks to park. That doubles my investment and makes me curse throughout the process of entering the lot. I can do plenty with 60 bucks, like buy a new fancy golf wedge from a discount website or ebay. As someone who has spent decades in Las Vegas I prioritize value and 30 bucks to park ain't value. If that stadium were within a public transportation area, or park and ride access, or even home lots where I could haggle for price, I might have a slightly different evaluation of it. I'd damn sure attend more games. That's the bottom line. I'm unnerved at $20 to park but I'll reluctantly go along with it. At $30 I'm elsewhere.

Should scrap this hideous stadium and build something more intimate like the Seachickens or Bengals have. even a retractable like Houston or Indy would be awesome. Sun Life Sucks.

Weren't a couple of the games this year declared a 'sellout?' All of the fans for that game are imported anyway.

Every game was pretty much declared a sellout, but that doesnt mean anything because Ross and the local media bought up the remaining tickets.

Well...if we're restricting ourselves to the last ten the starting point is 2003. The 2003 game between OU and LSU was excellent. 2005 Texas/USC is one of the greatest of all time really. Florida/OU in 2008 was a fantastic game. Auburn/Oregon in 2009 went down to the last play of the game. That is just in the last ten. Go deeper than that and you can pull in Ohio State/Miami in 2002, FSU/Nebraska in 93, Alabama/Miami 92, Penn State/Miami, Penn State/Alabama (forgot the year).

Bottom line, the statement from the original poster is ridiculous. Everything we have to go by from this season suggests that this will be a forgettable championship game except for the fact that two large brands are participating.

Sorry but Alabama is going to steam roll Notre Dame.

Saban will get his 4th National Championship, 3rd with Bama.

I thought the field looked great last night at the orange bowl tbh, the stadium looked good too but too many empty seats based largely on NIU being there, I think they said in commentary that they brought 1,500 fans, lol !!!

I'm not from Miami or Florida or even the US, but I lfollow the Dolphins for a big part of the reason that they are a Florida based sports team, I lived in Orlando and Jacksonville for 5 of the happiest years of my life and love the state, it's just a great place. So not trying to be antagonistic here at all, but if these half empty scenes continue how long do people think it will be before debates begin to surface about a move to a different location for the franchise ?

How much does it cost to go to a Canes game??? just wondering

Prices are all over the place, depending on where you sit. They ask for donations to the Hurricanes Club for club level and prime seating, and first crack at tickets to away games. It might even be required, in some instances. I'm not sure. My parents were members of that club for a long time but they gave up their season tickets, after more than 45 years, upon the move away from the Orange Bowl. It was quite hilarious, BTW, when the University of Miami ticket office called repeatedly that offseason, wondering why the tickets had not been renewed. Their tone was anything but pleasant. Meanwhile, my dad had told them beforehand via several letters that he hated the Robbie Bowl, as he called it, and wasn't going to follow the team there.

But once my dad was diagnosed with an untreatable lung condition and realized he didn't have many more years, we got season tickets again in 2010. Low upper deck on the south side, the sun at our back. I think they were somewhere between $37 and $45 apiece.

You certainly can do better than that on a game by game basis, on eBay and elsewhere. Buying season tickets is a safe route and provides convenience and familiarity, but the gambler in me prefers to go game by game. These days the Dolphins and Canes are good bets to have lackluster seasons so certain games can be swooped up for a pittance, if you know what you're doing. Season tickets are valuable only if the team has a great season and every game is in demand. Lots of clods don't know market value so they put up tickets with extremely low Buy It Now on ebay. It's even better if they are out of state since you don't have to pay Florida sales tax on the transaction. Always make sure to look for that. Somebody out of state who realizes they can't attend the game often will list them at low Buy It Now, weeks ahead of time. That's when to look. Approaching game day the price invariably rises.

Parking for Canes games is $25 in the orange lot, where we parked. But if you buy the season ticket package it's 5 dollars cheaper per game. Maybe it's $25 ahead of time and $30 on game day. I can't remember. The parking prices at that stadium unnerve be beyond description. I know it's $5 less when purchased early. Those passes are also available on eBay and on the ticket sites and somehow fools will pay above face value, often far above face value. It's hardly uncommon for $30 parking passes to sell for $40 or $45 on ebay, even though you can drive up on game day and pay the $30. Those sellers have to be laughing their asses off.

Oh yeah, the field did look tremendous last night. They always take special care of the field for the championship game. It looked dramatically different than our final home game versus Buffalo. Must have be resodded almost immediately after that game.

Texas/USC in 06 was a far superior matchup than this bama/nd game is supposed to be.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Well...if we're restricting ourselves to the last ten the starting point is 2003. The 2003 game between OU and LSU was excellent. 2005 Texas/USC is one of the greatest of all time really. Florida/OU in 2008 was a fantastic game. Auburn/Oregon in 2009 went down to the last play of the game. That is just in the last ten. Go deeper than that and you can pull in Ohio State/Miami in 2002, FSU/Nebraska in 93, Alabama/Miami 92, Penn State/Miami, Penn State/Alabama (forgot the year).

Bottom line, the statement from the original poster is ridiculous. Everything we have to go by from this season suggests that this will be a forgettable championship game except for the fact that two large brands are participating.
Very well said, sir.

A Lot of people hate the stadium, and the reputation is spreading and getting worse, kind of like a cancer, few understand how it impacts our culture in a negative way.

It's something called intimacy, and our stadium is the worst in football for it, The best part of being a fan at a stadium is to be engaged into the game, and feel like your players can feel your energy...unfortunately because of the absolutely moronic vision of a past owner, the distance built in simply doesn't allow the intimacy, which then creates a passiveness, a spectator type atmoshere, where fans just want to sit and watch, this in turn can absolutely affect human beings who are playing a game on emotion.

I'm certainly not saying its responsible for everything, but it's a major issue, and it's affecting everything about our culture..

Replacing a legendary venue like the orange bowl with sun life was and is costing this franchise tens of millions of dollars..

What made the orange bowl famous, why was it a great venue?....because of the intimacy, the noise we could create, and how we could lift our players to come out fired up..

Not possible in the antiseptic piece of crap.

Back
Top Bottom