Surprise Draft Pick | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Surprise Draft Pick

the fresno te looks like trash to me only thing that stood out about him was his flat tire he was carrying around in the mid section...escobar for san diego st and otten for san jose st are interesting developmental guys...but they're also guys i wouldn't count on contributing from the jump...very raw...likely be sitting on them a while...neither would i consider in the top 3 rounds...maybe more 5th round type stuff...mid round at least

As has been recently discussed within the Miami Herald, Ireland knows the team needs playmakers, on both sides, meaning WR's & TE's on O and passrushers and DB's on D. As we have seen lately, an offense with plamakers and an average line is way better off than a good line and below average playmakers.
He knew it last year. Does not mean he will do anything about it.

I think, after the Hawaii bowl, we have to get Margus Hunt. But I'm biased because my cousin went to school with him and is a good friend. I'm hoping he doesn't get into the first round, but we may have to blow our first 2nd rounder for him.
Margus Hunt is interesting, but he is extremely raw. He has barely been playing football for 4yrs. The guy is an athletic freak being a track and field athlete before he took up the pigskin. Obviously, since his time in the sport has been so short; he does not possess a wide array of moves in the pass rush. But his 82 in. wing span helps to keep defenders away from his body. Also, his pad level is a concern. If you watch his games, there are times when he gets blown off the LOS because the OL is able to get underneath him. He is 26 and that will be a knock on him, but I do not think that is that big of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Otten is a terrible blocker. Eifert should go in the 28-35 range, because he looks ready made for the NFL. But is he big enough of a playmaker that would warrant him being taken higher? I'm not sure what his ceiling is.

i like Gragg and Jake Stoneburner of Ohio St. Meyer achieved wonders with Hernandez so he knows TEs in the modern college game. When he moved Stoneburner to WR with the plan of having him all over the field, on paper it looked a great plan. But it took half the season for the move to click, so he's looking like a mid rounder at this stage. I wouldn't hesitate in the 5th.

Speaking of Ohio St, TEs and the possible need for a lineman in Miami, Reid Fragel is a Te converted to RT and is simply incredible. This kid is the real deal and will be available in the third or fourth. Big, mobile, long arms, hands like magnets. Check him out.

otten from san jose st is interesting...raw but interesting...not very good in line as a blocker...i like reed also but he looks a little undersized to me...might be an nfl h back

sims isn't explosive enough to get me excited about his seam abilities...he's like fasano to me underneath guy...no real burst...sims is too large for what we covet...if we lost fasano i'd be more interested and even then heck no in the 2nd round...i might look at him in the 4th

leveon bell is the only thing on mich st that really interest me... golston or whatever the de's name is is a big bag of hype the corner name escapes me maybe it's adams??? can't remember anyways meh...sims is a bloated te that's not even for his size all that great in line even...

bells got sweet feet for his size and he's downhill and he catches the ball like a scat back...terrific pass receiving abilities for his size...
I like Bell as a good compliment to Miller/Bush. That said, we have so many other needs I can't see Miami looking RB early.

Mangus Hunt is interesting, but he is extremely raw. He has barely been playing football for 4yrs. The guy is an athletic freak being a track and field athlete before he took up the pigskin. Obviously, since his time in the sport has been so short; he does not possess a wide array of moves in the pass rush. But his 82 in. wing span helps to keep defenders away from his body. Also, his pad level is a concern. If you watch his games, there are times when he gets blown off the LOS because the OL is able to get underneath him. He is 26 and that will be a knock on him, but I do not think that is that big of an issue.
He is one of the more interesting guys in the draft. I think a good coaching staff could bring out his talent. He could be similar to JJ Watt at least in terms of blocking/knocking down passes.

JJ Watt with Jason Taylor speed and non-stop motor.

hunts got the initial burst off the edge that few in this class possess...for a 280 lb 6 ft 8 guy he's rediculously explosive and quick off the ball...that stuff gives tackles fits and they always have to account for that speed off the ball and it just opens up so many things for you as a pass rusher...

i don't care that he's 26 i fully acknowledge he is a liability in the run game early on and that height plays against him you want to see elite get off and fire out of a hand in the dirt stance take a look at that guy off the edge...filthy...rediculous for his size...

stop worrying about the run and think situational pass rusher with the ability to rush from the inside in the nickle if need be...so much meat on the bone still with that kid it's not funny...the age will drop him but for a guy that raw he has elite rush tools

stop worrying about the run and think situational pass rusher with the ability to rush from the inside in the nickle if need be...so much meat on the bone still with that kid it's not funny...the age will drop him but for a guy that raw he has elite rush tools

Agreed. Too many around these parts are programmed to think "size" and the run game.

pass rush ability is the premium.

run defense can easily be fixed (see cam wake). You can't fix someone into natural pass rush ability.

hunts got the initial burst off the edge that few in this class possess...for a 280 lb 6 ft 8 guy he's rediculously explosive and quick off the ball...that stuff gives tackles fits and they always have to account for that speed off the ball and it just opens up so many things for you as a pass rusher...

i don't care that he's 26 i fully acknowledge he is a liability in the run game early on and that height plays against him you want to see elite get off and fire out of a hand in the dirt stance take a look at that guy off the edge...filthy...rediculous for his size...

I am generally not the best at projecting what rd these guys will go, but when I look at Margus - I am thinking third rd. What would you say? I think the fact that he played in Conf. USA will drop him the same way it dropped Jason Taylor coming out from the MAC. He is going to blow up the combine, but I think the assoc. with a Mid-Major is going to hold him back.

If I want a situational interior pass rusher then Margus Hunt is among the first names I'd think of.

If I want a situational outside pass rusher he's not in the top 5, and he'd be hard pressed to sneak into the top 10.

Hunt could sneak into the 2nd or even 1st round on measurables but I don't imagine him being worth it.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:42 PM ----------

Back to the thread topic a potential surprise draft pick for Miami would be Dee Milliner. I say it would be a surprise just because Miami fans almost serially refuse to consider it as a corner is not sexy enough for them.

I've been a fan since 72 and I had never wanted us to draft a TE with our first round pick but this might be the year to do it. Actually, I wanted us to take a TE very early 2 years ago and again last year but we didn't. Not sure that kid's worth taking at 15 or so but if we can move down for more picks and take him in the 20's then I'd consider it. I'd hate to move down but if we're drafting 15 to 18 then droping back could be the way to go since the drop off is not that big and for once we could have the TE that Tannehill needs.

Ozzy rules!!

I've been a fan since 72 and I had never wanted us to draft a TE with our first round pick but this might be the year to do it. Actually, I wanted us to take a TE very early 2 years ago and again last year but we didn't. Not sure that kid's worth taking at 15 or so but if we can move down for more picks and take him in the 20's then I'd consider it. I'd hate to move down but if we're drafting 15 to 18 then droping back could be the way to go since the drop off is not that big and for once we could have the TE that Tannehill needs.

Ozzy rules!!
That would be a nice scenario for Miami. I do think Eifert will move up as the draft approaches, but if Miami could add another pick and cross tight end off the needs list that would be big.

Back
Top Bottom