Tannehill 5th Ranked as a "Passer" | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill 5th Ranked as a "Passer"

FinfanInBuffalo

Perennial All-Pro
Club Member
Reaction score
Originally from an article on the Sen Sentinel site:

'What's interesting (as Alert E-mailer "Larry Larry" pointed out) is that Tannehill ranks fifth when only the passing component of the QBR is figured. Brady, more in keeping with what you might expect, is fourth. In fact, the passing-only filter includes many of the names you'd expect (in order): Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Brady, Tannehill, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo, Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger and Matthew Stafford."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/sort/cwepaPassesCondensed

No!!!!....It cant be.It's basically his EPA rating.

Someone cue Shouright to come in and steer you to some obscure NFL site in the edge of the universe with ratings he likes....

* Season Leaders: On pace for 250 action plays.
* All-time data reflects 2006 onwards.
PASS EPA: Clutch-weighted expected points added on plays with pass attempts.
RUN EPA: Clutch-weighted expected points added through scrambles, designed rushes and fumbles/fumble returns on running plays.
SACK EPA: Clutch-weighted expected points added (lost) on sacks.
PEN EPA: Clutch-weighted expected points added on penalties.
TOTAL EPA: Total clutch-weighted expected points added.
ACT PLAYS: Plays on which the QB has a non-zero expected points contribution. Includes most plays that are not handoffs.
QB PAR: Number of points contributed by a quarterback over the season, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of a quarterback who plays very rarely and is on the fringe of the NFL.
QB PAA: Number of points contributed by a quarterback over the season, accounting for QBR and how much he plays, above the level of an average quarterback.
TOTAL QBR: Total Quarterback Rating, which values quarterback on all play types on a 0-to-100 scale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Now look here and see where Tannehill's 65 falls, for a bit of perspective:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/0/type/alltime-season/sort/cwepaPassesCondensed

EPA = "clutch-weighted expected points added on plays with pass attempts"

This gives us absolutely ZERO clue how it is calculated. All I know is that he led 4th quarter game winning drives against Superbowl-winning HCs and QBs in back to back weeks, one of which was on the road in the snow... If that is bottom-ranked EPA, so be it!

I hate the "passer" label. WTF else should a QB be judged upon? "Man, he is the best at handed off the ball!" Just dumb. People say Marino was the best passer ever but a lot say not the best QB. How ignorant. A QB IS a PASSER. A running back is a runner. A WR catches the ball. The o-line blocks. ETC...ETC...ETC... The only thing a QB should ultimately be judged on IS AS A PASSER.

I love Tannehill but to single out one part of QBR doesn't prove anything. His total QBR is pretty low. 25th in the league. My eyes tell me has has been a top 15 QB at worst this year and that is my favorite stat.

Everything about QBR is trash and if it says Tannehill is the 5th best passer in the NFL, whoop dee doo.

They won't even reveal the full methodology they use to compute QBR.

Let's stop using the espn qbr, I rather not spread any opinion that the stat is worth anything. Maybe if we don't pay attention it will go away

QBR is a joke, but even Shourigt's link, there are only 22 QBs above him all time, and most of them are either hall of famers or borderline hall of famers. Not bad company.

QBR is a joke, but even Shourigt's link, there are only 22 QBs above him all time, and most of them are either hall of famers or borderline hall of famers. Not bad company.
The stat has been kept by ESPN.com only since 2006.

The stat has been kept by ESPN.com only since 2006.

And how many QBs have started in the NFL since 2006? Probably near 200. On the Dolphins alone we've had 4 or 5 QBs start in that time span. Now multiply that by 28 or so.

Here are the QBs with higher Passer EPA seasons than Tannehill's current season:

Drew Brees
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Aaron Rodgers

Tony Romo
Matt Ryan
Brett Favre
Ben Roethelisberger

Matt Schaub
Phillip Rivers
Matthew Stafford
Kurt Warner
Jay Cutler
Chad Pennington
Carson Palmer
Eli Manning
Marc Bulger
Matt Hasselbeck
Russell Wilson
RG3

*the bolded are surefire HOFers

Tannehill's current season Passer EPA comes ahead of any season thus far by:

Andrew Luck
Donovan McNabb
Sam Bradford
Cam Newton
Joe Flacco
Colin Kaepernick
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith
Michael Vick
Steve McNair

I'd say that is pretty good for a 2nd year player with only a year's worth of college experience at the position who is operating without a strong running game and a makeshift OL.

Back
Top Bottom