Tannehill's college gametape tells me were not using him correctly | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tannehill's college gametape tells me were not using him correctly

After almost every game I watch I am left wondering why we do not effectively use screens and the bootleg to maximize RT's abilities.Especially in the Redzone, a playaction (stretch play) bootleg where RT has a run/pass option would be an effective play that is severely under utilized in this offense.

I think IIFRC he has run 2 bootlegs on the goal line and scored BOTH times.

It's difficult to say his former college coach isn't using him as properly as he was used in college. I understand wanting to use that great ability he has to throw outside of the pocket, but I think a concerted effort has been made to keep him in the pocket and learn to be better at it. That's what this is for him, a learning year.

bootlegs are about seeing on tape a de crashing down to the inside off run action and running down things from the backside when you run stretch and off tackle...they don't work when a de stays home and doesn't respect the action to the opposite side...so you have to be careful when you go to them...you also need a running game that the opposition really respects and must compensate for...of which miami does not have...

that said there's a lot of things this oc could be doing to give the qb more options and put him in better position to succeed than we've shown thru 13 games...i can tell ya that

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that Sherman, his HC in College (for 4 years) and OC now, would know any more of how to use him that a Phins poster.

Sorry but C'MON MAN, no way in hell can you be taken seriously.

You mean like he has used Bush in the passing game?
or getting the ball in Millers hands?
Or having Fasano's ypc dropping over 6 yards per catch over last season?
or another offensive line guru for over 18 years and have no clue with our own offensive line
not having any creativity to get into the end zone via a pass
or his questionable play calling(to numerous to mention)

No,Sherman hasn't proved to me and many others here that he's nothing more than "vanilla at best"
with this offense

He may have been his coach in college but if he doesn't wtfu he'll be unemployed...again

I know our running game has been bad lately, but can you imagine how much Tannehill would benefit from bootlegs and rolling out on fake handoffs? I think we are forcing this kid to play a style of QB which he isnt. I see this a lot in college, and the person to blame is the coach not the player...you cant force players to be something theyre not. We need to use this kids tools and adjust to make him shine with what hes good at. until then, he will struggle.

This is the NFL. That means that defensive players are very fast. Very fast defensive players destroy quarterbacks that run willy nilly all over the place. Think about the number of times that Michael Vick has gotten hurt. RG3 has gotten banged up a lot more than Andrew Luck. Tannehill was running away from players that will not be playing football again in their lives after college. Everything that players do in college cannot be replicated in the pros.

That was a great closing summation. Pure roll outs are not nearly as effective in the pros compared to college. Far too often you are merely cutting off half the field on yourself. You can see it in the quarterback's face when that happens. The design is blown up and he's stuck. He wanders the extra step or two. He knows he shouldn't force it back over the middle but that's the only thing available, other than winging it to the sideline or over everyone's head.

It's very similar to screens in that respect. With wide hash marks and terrorized unsophisticated defenses, college offensive coordinators can make a living on cheap screen passes and roll outs. Take it up a notch and those plays are often wiped out. I'm not surprised when they are shocked by it and can't adjust in the early going.

I found out about roll out variance from college to pro in that stats office where I worked for a few years. It was a cupcake job but very enlightening. Frankly, when I was invited to visit I thought I'd be telling them everything. Turned out it was shared enlightenment. The pure stats guys knew angles from a pure strategy standpoint that I had never thought of, while they knew very little about stats related to wagering. I ended up leaning over the shoulder of the sharpest most descriptive guy in the room. He pulled clips of roll outs in pros compared to college. It took perhaps 45 seconds to make the point.

If we drafted Tannehill based on roll outs, that wasn't especially brilliant.

However, I did talk to one of my old buddies from the stats office about a month ago. He called after finding out my father died. We chatted for a while and he mentioned a few new developments. One has been hinted at in this thread. Play action off stretch plays is proving extraordinarily successful right now, with well above average completion percentage, yards per attempt, and burst plays. We used to call them burst in that office ("Burst on 12" meant big play unfolding on monitor 12). I guess Billick defines them as explosive plays for his toxic stat. Anyway, my friend says the play is most lethal if the quarterback bounces back into the pocket after the stretch fake, not if he rolls outside. Brady had a long touchdown pass last night on that play. Obviously the better the play action fake the higher the upside. Tannehill should spend countless hours in the offseason working on extending the ball effectively and bringing it back.

BTW, Robert Griffin is a fascinating case study of whether or not he's being used correctly. I can't stand the guy. Let me put that out there. He's definitely performed better than my biased expectation. Shanahan installed an offense that's brilliantly designed to use Griffin strengths and frustrate NFL defenses, while at the same time exposing Griffin to all the weaknesses and dangers, like poor pocket awareness and inability to avoid the big hit. In evaluating Griffin toward the NFL I never expected we'd see him in an offense like that. Pure roll of the dice. I'm not sure Shanahan would have done it in his younger years. Right now as an older coach with a notoriously impatient owner Shanahan knows he has to produce otherwise he's out the door. A few weeks ago I couldn't believe what I was hearing when Shanahan said he'd use the remainder of the season for evaluation purposes. What? Snyder won't tolerate that, not after such an investment in Griffin and fan frenzy in the region.

You mean like he has used Bush in the passing game?
or getting the ball in Millers hands?
Or having Fasano's ypc dropping over 6 yards per catch over last season?
or another offensive line guru for over 18 years and have no clue with our own offensive line
not having any creativity to get into the end zone via a pass
or his questionable play calling(to numerous to mention)

No,Sherman hasn't proved to me and many others here that he's nothing more than "vanilla at best"
with this offense

He may have been his coach in college but if he doesn't wtfu he'll be unemployed...again

My post was on Sherman's knowing how to use RT. Nothing to do with your reply on others.

That was a great closing summation. Pure roll outs are not nearly as effective in the pros compared to college. Far too often you are merely cutting off half the field on yourself. You can see it in the quarterback's face when that happens. The design is blown up and he's stuck. He wanders the extra step or two. He knows he shouldn't force it back over the middle but that's the only thing available, other than winging it to the sideline or over everyone's head.

It's very similar to screens in that respect. With wide hash marks and terrorized unsophisticated defenses, college offensive coordinators can make a living on cheap screen passes and roll outs. Take it up a notch and those plays are often wiped out. I'm not surprised when they are shocked by it and can't adjust in the early going.

I found out about roll out variance from college to pro in that stats office where I worked for a few years. It was a cupcake job but very enlightening. Frankly, when I was invited to visit I thought I'd be telling them everything. Turned out it was shared enlightenment. The pure stats guys knew angles from a pure strategy standpoint that I had never thought of, while they knew very little about stats related to wagering. I ended up leaning over the shoulder of the sharpest most descriptive guy in the room. He pulled clips of roll outs in pros compared to college. It took perhaps 45 seconds to make the point.

If we drafted Tannehill based on roll outs, that wasn't especially brilliant.

However, I did talk to one of my old buddies from the stats office about a month ago. He called after finding out my father died. We chatted for a while and he mentioned a few new developments. One has been hinted at in this thread. Play action off stretch plays is proving extraordinarily successful right now, with well above average completion percentage, yards per attempt, and burst plays. We used to call them burst in that office ("Burst on 12" meant big play unfolding on monitor 12). I guess Billick defines them as explosive plays for his toxic stat. Anyway, my friend says the play is most lethal if the quarterback bounces back into the pocket after the stretch fake, not if he rolls outside. Brady had a long touchdown pass last night on that play. Obviously the better the play action fake the higher the upside. Tannehill should spend countless hours in the offseason working on extending the ball effectively and bringing it back.

BTW, Robert Griffin is a fascinating case study of whether or not he's being used correctly. I can't stand the guy. Let me put that out there. He's definitely performed better than my biased expectation. Shanahan installed an offense that's brilliantly designed to use Griffin strengths and frustrate NFL defenses, while at the same time exposing Griffin to all the weaknesses and dangers, like poor pocket awareness and inability to avoid the big hit. In evaluating Griffin toward the NFL I never expected we'd see him in an offense like that. Pure roll of the dice. I'm not sure Shanahan would have done it in his younger years. Right now as an older coach with a notoriously impatient owner Shanahan knows he has to produce otherwise he's out the door. A few weeks ago I couldn't believe what I was hearing when Shanahan said he'd use the remainder of the season for evaluation purposes. What? Snyder won't tolerate that, not after such an investment in Griffin and fan frenzy in the region.

RGIII is on his way to becoming another Vick, This kid isn't going to last long if he keeps running the way he has.
I think he's out for his next game.

Have you considered looking at the athleticism of the OL? Just a thought, past Pouncey.

To run boots and screens on a regular basis like Houston and GB yes but to run them a few more times a game for us it doesn't matter. DE's crash hard on us because there is zero threat of a bootleg or screen. If we were to have that threat it would help slow down the pass rush a little and open up a little more running room.

To run boots and screens on a regular basis like Houston and GB yes but to run them a few more times a game for us it doesn't matter. DE's crash hard on us because there is zero threat of a bootleg or screen. If we were to have that threat it would help slow down the pass rush a little and open up a little more running room.

Think Sherman is doing this to look bad, and get a higher draft pick? LOL

I'm thinking that maybe they used this season to work on the things that Tannehill needs to develop (like throwing from the pocket & decision making from the pocket). Philbin & his staff probably saw this year as nothing more than a developmental year for Tannehill. I mean, it makes sense to use this season do make Tannehill a more complete QB, since we don't have enough talent to make signifigant noise in the playoffs. Tannehill is already a gifted athlete & has probably been running zone reads & rollouts for most of his QB life, so maybe the coaching staff figured that this year can be used to just get a head start on developing the things he hasn't had much experience with.

I know, it's exteme optimism, but hey if this was the logic for them using him the way they are- then I could get behind it.

They are not coaching with the mindset that the year is completely developmental or a wash. Every year is a developmental year, that's the game. Every year is one to try and win as well though. Coaches weigh how much time they need to work on:

what works vs what they need to work on

I think that practice time is where developing happens, where they experiment.. i can't imagine coaches using what isnt a players strength in a game just to give developmental reps, that's what happens in practice am i right?

We ran some screens recently with some success,, against san fran,,, it was stunning cause we have been sooooo baaaad at them. rg3 is gonna be damaged permanently if he continues to get hit like he has this season,,, thought his dang knee might dislocate on that hit, your qb can't take hits like that, he must slide. the rules are in place to protect qbs and the qb must use them to his advantage.

RGIII is on his way to becoming another Vick, This kid isn't going to last long if he keeps running the way he has.
I think he's out for his next game.

Another Vick? Not so fast bro. The difference is RG III has a brain in his head. And that alone will carry him to a terrific career.

Back
Top Bottom