The 2022 Running Back Debate | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The 2022 Running Back Debate

No. That's not how it is. It's not an eye test!
First, need a RB with over 200 carries, a running back who has played a lot, carried the ball, and has good production, over 5 average with 200+ carries, and preferably in more than one or just the last season.
Second, combine, needs to be physically explosive. can jump160 inches combined vert and broad.
And finally, we need a running back with all that plus size to move the pile and punish defenses.
Only then, you can look at film to see if you like them.
Your armchair scouting technique & criteria are ass backwards. Film is #1 over everything. Second is size & measurables w/measurables used just to verify the film. College stats mean absolutely nothing to scouts & teams. They don't care about something arbitrary & irrelevant like 200 carries. You should prefer a back with low usage that's not worn down. And nitpicking Kenneth Walker over five pounds? He leads the country in broken tackles in the toughest defensive conference in the country. Go down to your basement & pick up your wife's five pound dumb bell. You don't think we or another NFL team can add that to his frame, if desired, in an offseason?

Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith..Curtis Martin, Walter Payton Etc, hall of famers.

Want a good Player, good instincts, good vision, hands, tough, finisher, don’t care of the size.
Agreed. Measurables are a good tool to utilize but you’re still looking for football players, and they don’t necessarily fit a particular physical mold.
I think KW3 plays a lot bigger than he is and I do think that’ll translate to the NFL.

Brian Robinson had an impressive game, 198 yards at 8 a pop.
Kevin Harris SC 182 yards at 6 per run.
Kennedy Brooks 142 yards at 10 a pop, impressive.
Chris Rodriguez standard 100 yard game, 5 per pop.

Two of those guys would be very nice.

Jerome Ford had an okay game, 77 yards at 5 per.

I'm a BIG fan of Notre Dame RB Kyren Williams. Love to have him on our roster.

I would as well.

Not sure I’m making him my second round pick though. Ideally for me we trade up in the third round to get the RB we really want, after acquiring two players at more premium positions first. It’s definitely to grab some talent at RB and Kyren fits the mold of what we need.

Im not a fan of drafting RBs high this year. We'll know more after the combine, but I would be okay with let's say Jerome Ford CIN, Kennedy Brooks OK, one of the runners from Ok St, there will be good runners later.
The running backs we have were all late draft picks, and they all blow. If there are so many available later in the rounds, why do they not produce in Miami?

I hear you, but after Jonathan Taylor and Travis Etienne (health pending), I don't have anyone from the last two classes ahead of Hall. He gets the yards that are there (really good and pressing the line and exploding through the hole) has dynamic feet (cutbacks and jump-cuts remind me of Shady McCoy), and he breaks arm tackles. Not super fast, but he's fast enough. His combo of elusiveness and power is high-end imo. Guys who move the way he does aren't typically big and strong enough to consistently get yards after contact.

His pad level was a bit of a concern for me in 2020, but I didn't see any issues with it in 2021, and he also looks smooth catching the ball. Has a drop in the clip I posted, but he generally looks smooth transitioning from catch to run, and he made a gorgeous one-handed catch vs Oklahoma.

And thanks SF! Always good to see you, and I hope all is well with you, too 🙏

Corrall went down early, but this Baylor D just held Ol' Miss to 7 points.

I would as well.

Not sure I’m making him my second round pick though. Ideally for me we trade up in the third round to get the RB we really want, after acquiring two players at more premium positions first. It’s definitely to grab some talent at RB and Kyren fits the mold of what we need.
I just worry that he would just be more of the same - committee type RB - I've seen him make some awesome plays at ND. But it seems like our rb's never translate to the nfl... but say, round 3 - sure I'm down

I would be ecstatic with Leddie Brown in the later rounds. I haven't seen a pure RB like him at WVU in a long time. He was easily the best offensive player who was criminally underutilized at times.

I am generally in the camp of spending your resources on a quality OL and then being more frugal at the RB spot.

But I am starting to think we can't build a strong OL so maybe investing in a top RB is the way to go.

Although a talented back would be wasted behind the Fins OL anyway so there appears to be no winning choice. :(

I am generally in the camp of spending your resources on a quality OL and then being more frugal at the RB spot.

But I am starting to think we can't build a strong OL so maybe investing in a top RB is the way to go.

Although a talented back would be wasted behind the Fins OL anyway so there appears to be no winning choice. :(
I'd get two offensive linemen in free agency and probably draft a mid-rounder. Some young players will have to step up on the line, but that would be a good start. Miami's draft position is getting lower and lower in that first round. Maybe the team can trade out of the first and take the best running back from this class, whoever that is...Hall, Spiller etc.

I also like the idea of doubling up. Cook and Robinson are two I like in that 3rd round range.

tots of talk here about Cook if Miami waits a little bit longer. As things stand right now, I think it's a good bet that the Dolphins get an offensive lineman in R1 and a running back R2. Although, free agency can change that.
Im not a fan of waiting for round 4 to take our RB. Main reason is, everyone knows we need a RB and teams can trade up and swipe him as moving up that late is fairly cheap. Then we end up with no RB.
I'm all for drafting a RB in round 2 and 4.

Back
Top Bottom