The Biggest Issue Facing Miami – Mike Sherman | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Biggest Issue Facing Miami – Mike Sherman

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Mike Sherman must Go, Go-Go.
This is not a recommendation to be cruel to the man, I think given the positives he has brought throughout his career in football as well as his friendship and mentorship to both Joe Philbin and Ryan Tannehill mandate that it be done respectfully. The fact remains it needs to occur, and it needs to occur immediately following the Jets game this weekend - win or lose. There are few easy tasks for an NFL coach, and being the one to force retirement upon a friend and mentor would possibly be the hardest thing that Philbin has to do in his NFL career. It must be done, and it must be Philbin who does it. Having Stephen Ross or Jeff Ireland remove Sherman would not send the right message, and would undermine Philbin as the coach with his staff, the players and the fans. It can occur behind the scenes, giving Mike Sherman the opportunity to save face in the public eye by retiring or resigning. He can have the opportunity to retain his pride in doing so, that would be the ideal scenario here.
Below, we’ll examine five key points in the evidence that illustrates the fact that the game has indeed passed him by.
Read more:http://phinphanatic.com/2013/11/28/biggest-issue-facing-miami/

Everything would look better if we had a more productive running game. Is that on the coordinator ,head coach ,or gm ?

Terrible article but I agree with the premise. If Sherman cares for Tannehill or Philbin at all he should either resign or let somebody else design and call plays while he just focuses on coaching. They say poker is a young mans game and I think the same can be said for coordinators.

I can almost guarantee the go/go-go thing is Philbins idea too.

Not so sure I agree.

I would say that we absolutely need to get better coaching on the OL and QB side of things and as is clearly obvious we need better talent up front. Sherman has made clear that he prefers to run the ball more than he is, and...as he insinuated, he has a different view on things to Philbin. Give this guy a better OL and the opportunity to have better balance and I think you see better output from Sherman. But as a I said at the start, QB & OL coaching do need to improve - so I would welcome a change at both those spots.

IF... I were to ask for a change at the coordinator level, for me it would be on Defense. There's a lot of talent there, which I think better suits a 30 front style of play, but even with that... there are times where I simply don't understand what our DC is trying to accomplish. I'd very much like to see what a Kirby Smart type who has experience in the 30 scheme and goes against an array of offensive philosophies, could do with this talent.

I read the article and expected a prediction that Sherman was set to step aside in a week or two and his son-in-law Zac Taylor, the QB Coach would be appointed Offensive Coordinator. That would get Vaark and a few others fired up.

Sherman's not Don Corleone - he shouldn't put family first at the expense of the team. Zac Taylor qualifications: 2 good QB years at Nebraska, washing out as a UFA at TB and a year as a scrub in the CFL and then a couple of years as a Tight End Coach as a Graduate Assistant under daddy in law dearest at A&M. Are these the credentials of someone a team should be entrusting the development of an impressionable, raw, valuable promising asset? I think not. For the blatant nepotism if not for everything else, Sherman's gotta go and take his QB coach in training along with him!

Thanks for the article, but I don't agree with it. Especially that part about the snap count. If it were as simplistic or archaic as described in the article, do you really believe someone as 'cerebral' and as experienced with offensive coordination as Philbin would allow it to continue, especially at the expense of his own reputation? I think that part is BS in the article. Having read that, I didn't read on. Why would I?

Sherman's not Don Corleone - he shouldn't put family first at the expense of the team. Zac Taylor qualifications: 2 good QB years at Nebraska, washing out as a UFA at TB and a year as a scrub in the CFL and then a couple of years as a Tight End Coach as a Graduate Assistant under daddy in law dearest at A&M. Are these the credentials of someone a team should be entrusting the development of an impressionable, raw, valuable promising asset? I think not. For the blatant nepotism if not for everything else, Sherman's gotta go and take his QB coach in training along with him!

Are you certain that Philbin didn't insist on having Sherman's son as QB coach for whatever reasons? Perhaps there's something Philbin knew about him that we don't, overruling the certain charges of nepotism that would come? It's never as simple as it appears on the surface. I'm not saying it was the right decision, but it also may not be Sherman's fault. We just don't know, do we?

Are you certain that Philbin didn't insist on having Sherman's son as QB coach for whatever reasons? Perhaps there's something Philbin knew about him that we don't, overruling the certain charges of nepotism that would come? It's never as simple as it appears on the surface. I'm not saying it was the right decision, but it also may not be Sherman's fault. We just don't know, do we?

You're right, that could have happened. However, taking a step back, without Sherman lobbying for a son in law who had no track record either qb'ing in the NFL or coaching it at any level, why would Philbin, out of the entire universe of QB coaches and cerebral players like Pennington from which to select, specifically want a tight end coach from an also-ran NCAA program to mold the QB he'll be hitching his career wagon to?? Remember, he went through the motions with Matt Flynn, so Joe had to be likely aware that his fledgling career would be rising or falling with his designated guy under center.

I agree the nepotism is outrageous.

You would think, that at the very top in football they would only want the most highly qualified, innovative people under them. But it doesn't happen. Parcells brought in Sparano because he was loyal, not because he was brilliant. Zac was hired because he's a relative of Sherman, not because he's the ideal guy to develop Tannehill. And both regimes (Parcells and Philbin), started out with a safe, conservative offensive coordinator. First Henning and now Sherman. I guess it's because when you take that level of responsibility you don't want to have a risky pick at OC, you just want to lay a foundation. But at this point, we need a change.

The offense producing this little, is a red flag. Tannehill developing very slowly, is a red flag. Hitting record sacks, is a red flag. Keep in mind, Ross was looking for coaches who were offensive geniuses and would design an offense which was explosive. Is that what happened?

You're right, that could have happened. However, taking a step back, without Sherman lobbying for a son in law who had no track record either qb'ing in the NFL or coaching it at any level, why would Philbin, out of the entire universe of QB coaches and cerebral players like Pennington from which to select, specifically want a tight end coach from an also-ran NCAA program to mold the QB he'll be hitching his career wagon to?? Remember, he went through the motions with Matt Flynn, so Joe had to be likely aware that his fledgling career would be rising or falling with his designated guy under center.
Exactly. Why would he? We don't know. But I'll bet you there are some very compelling reasons. At least, they are compelling to Philbin.

The offense producing this little, is a red flag. Tannehill developing very slowly, is a red flag.

I'm not sure he's developing slowly but that's a topic for another thread. To be honest, he looks like he's developing faster than players like Jake Locker, Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin, and yes, even Cam Newton (IMO).

I'm not saying the QB coaching is good or bad, but I am suggesting that we just don't know how well he's being coached.

I think Sherman should step aside and let Ken O'Keefe become the Offense Coordinator. I feel that O'Keefe could do a great job as the coordinator (didn't think about it until I read the article), he was the coordinator for Iowa, no they didn't win a National Championship, but they were always a solid team offensively while he was there.

I don't think we get rid of Sherman all together, he would be an excellent GM for us, he knows the system which would allow him to select the best type of players for the offense. He still knows some of the college players coming out, since he is only 2 years removed from the college ranks. He was a decent GM/Head Coach in Green Bay, I think his down fall is in coaching and not in getting the right players for the system. He couldn't do any worse than Mr. Ireland, just saying.

Happy Thanksgiving to all Finheaven.

I'm sorry but that linked article was terrible. Why does everyone with a keyboard think they are an online expert? I agree Sherman needs to go, but it's much more complex than cadence. Blaming cadence is like blaming the structural integrity of the twin towers as to the reason they fell.

Back
Top Bottom