The Book on Ireland's Drafts | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Book on Ireland's Drafts

*Whiff* is definately NOT the right term to describe our draft picks from the 1st round. First Whiff is a swing and miss without even touching the ball on a strikeout. Long Obviously is a good player. Vontae was good enough to still have a 2nd round value. NOT Whiffs.

The Book on Ireland's Drafts

They made a book about THIS? Good luck selling that!

Find me another team whose 1st round picks over a 5 years span are still all starters in the same team in year 6? I would actually be very interested to know.
Same time period that Ireland has had:

Atlanta
2008 - Matt Ryan, Sam Baker
2009 - Peria Jerry
2010 - Sean Weatherspoon
2011 - Julio Jones
2012 - None, traded to Cleveland in trade up for Jones.

Cleveland
2008 - None, didn't have a pick till the 4th round
2009 - Alex Mack
2010 - Joe Haden
2011 - Phillip Taylor
2012 - Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden

Detroit
2008 - Gosder Cherilus
2009 - Matt Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew
2010 - Ndamukong Suh, Jahvid Best (miss all of last season due to concussions)
2011 - Nick Fairley
2012 - Riley Reiff

Houston
2008 - Duane Brown
2009 - Brian Cushing
2010 - Kareem Jackson
2011 - J.J. Watt
2012 - Whitney Mercilus (only 4 starts though)

I'll stop there.

So buying high and selling low is a shrewd strategy for team building? Its perfectly acceptable for your first round picks to not be on your team so long as you get lower value for them?

And what wins did Vontae contribute towards? He was drafted in '09. We havent had a winning season since '08. Were those 7-9 and 6-10 seasons that valuable to the history of this franchise? It wouldnt surprise me if some on this forum felt that they were.
Also, Clay Matthews would still be on the team.

Solid in Round 1
Poor/Mediocre in Round 2 & 3
Good/Solid in Round 4 - 7
Good/Great with Undrafted FA

Doesn't bode well for the 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, but this seems to be the book on his drafts. He has yet to completely whiff in Round 1 which is good, but he has some notable gaffes in round 2 & 3. Does a pretty solid job on all the late round picks.

Agree or Disagree?

So, is it good or bad that we have 4 picks this year in the range where Ireland drafts the worst?

Same time period that Ireland has had:

Atlanta
2008 - Matt Ryan, Sam Baker
2009 - Peria Jerry
2010 - Sean Weatherspoon
2011 - Julio Jones
2012 - None, traded to Cleveland in trade up for Jones.

Cleveland
2008 - None, didn't have a pick till the 4th round
2009 - Alex Mack
2010 - Joe Haden
2011 - Phillip Taylor
2012 - Trent Richardson, Brandon Weeden

Detroit
2008 - Gosder Cherilus
2009 - Matt Stafford, Brandon Pettigrew
2010 - Ndamukong Suh, Jahvid Best (miss all of last season due to concussions)
2011 - Nick Fairley
2012 - Riley Reiff

Houston
2008 - Duane Brown
2009 - Brian Cushing
2010 - Kareem Jackson
2011 - J.J. Watt
2012 - Whitney Mercilus (only 4 starts though)

I'll stop there.

Thanks for the info. It is interesting to see that 2 of those teams finished with far worse records than the Dolphins, and 1, the Browns have been dreadful. In all honesty, I really don't even recognize that many names on that list and I consider myself a pretty well informed NFL fan. A lot of those names are marginal starters, and probably on their way out (Fairley) You certainly can't argue against the job Houston has done. They have had incredible drafts, but even with all that, they will won't advance past the divisional round in the playoffs. But I certainly would trade our drafts for theirs. Same goes for Atlanta.

That being said, our first round picks are still what one could consider "solid". The main gripe I have with Ireland's drafts is that he has failed to ever acquire a player that I would term a superstar at their position. That is a failure. However, at least we aren't wasting 1st round picks on dreck like Jason Allen or Ted Ginn anymore. I never claimed the 1st rounders were great, merely solid, and thats what they are. They have all been solid, starting contributors during their time on the team.

Solid in Round 1
Poor/Mediocre in Round 2 & 3
Good/Solid in Round 4 - 7
Good/Great with Undrafted FA

Doesn't bode well for the 5 picks in 1st 3 rounds, but this seems to be the book on his drafts. He has yet to completely whiff in Round 1 which is good, but he has some notable gaffes in round 2 & 3. Does a pretty solid job on all the late round picks.

Agree or Disagree?

Agree! I also agree with your comment he has not drafted a total real stud either. Like you I have been following our drafts a very long time and we have had a ton of misses in the first round so I do give Ireland credit there. I also believe you have to consider that the players Ireland drafted for Sporano will be jettisoned from Philbin team in many cases just because they just do not fit the scheme well. That in itself does not make them bad picks either. I also believe this year that some of then picks made under Sporano played much better under Philbins guidance thus making me consider how many of the picks that did not work out have to do with the coaching.

Now before I get creamed for this post let me add I have never been in favor of the Vonte trade plus I am never opposed to improving the talent on then Phins roster and if that includes replacing Ireland I am OK with that but not in favor of just making a change at GM position just for change sake because I do believe we have endured a lot worse for a lot longer around here.

Jake Long went to 3 pro bowls on this team. He contributed. How can a pro bowl player be a whiff if he contributed on a high level for several years? If RG3 is out of the league in 3 years due to injuries, is he a whiff too? I think you guys are aging semantics at this point. Both Vontae and Jake contributes greatly to the team while they were here, unlike Ginn and Allen. For that reason, I wouldn't consider them whiffed picks.

They were not whiff picks, but they were the wrong picks using long term thinking. Ireland is an impulse shopper.
Ireland cannot ever get it right. He is constantly creating new holes to fill. That is why we are stuck in mediocrity.

They were not whiff picks, but they were the wrong picks using long term thinking. Ireland is an impulse shopper.
Ireland cannot ever get it right. He is constantly creating new holes to fill. That is why we are stuck in mediocrity.

At the time of the picks under Ireland the picks made sense and they were not on implulse if you follow his drafts. Now whiffing on the picks is a whole other subject and is all in opinion of the person. Lets look back at the picks made and what was happening at the time that led do many of the decisions of those picks. I will break it out by draft and year.
Long, Merling, Henne, Langford, Murphy, Thomas, Hillard, Parnalle, Dotson in 08
V. Davis, Pat White, Sean Smith, P. Turner, B Hartline, J Nalbone, Clemons, Gardner, Folsom in 09
Odrick, Msi, Jerry, AJ Edds. Carroll, Jones, Spitler, McCoy in 10
Pouncy, Daniel Thomas, Gates, Clay, Krearse, Wilson in 11
R. Tannehill, Martin, Vernon, Ednew, Miller, Kaddu, Cunningham, Randall, Mathews in 12

Year of the line. In 2008 the trificita arrived and Parcells announced his philophy to the world prior to the draft that for building the team was first build the lines on the team so he sent his boy Ireland shopping and we drafted 3 offensive, 3 defensive lineman along with 2 late picks on RB and the 2nd rounder on Henne in that draft. We also traded a late pick for Tony McDaniel so make that 4 picks used on defensive linemen. At the end of this year the decision was made that the Wildcat was out path to sucess so next was the
Year of the playmeakers. In 2009 to take the next step and draft for the wildcat and offensive and defensive play makers. So we drafted 3 recievers, 3 defensive backs and Pat White to make the wildcat hum along with another offensive lineman late and a linebacker. After 2009 Parcells realized that the Wildcat failed, we needed a offensive playmaker plus our defense had collasped so we fired the defensive coodinator and tht next years draft was the Year of the new defense, linebackers and Brandon Marshall. In 2010 we drafted 3 linebackers, traded 2 picks for Brandon Marshall, drafted 2 defensive ends types and OL Jerry. After the phins offense failed to deliver in 2010 the offensive coordinator was fired , Ricky Williams, Ronnie Brown, Patrick Cobb L. Polite and the ground and pound were jettisioned and 2011 becames the Year of the new offense and the need for speed. In 2011 with our offensive line still in shambels and no running backs our first 4 picks were spent on offensive weapons to spread the field with the emphsis on speed with the last couple of late picks thrown in for defense. At the end of 2011 after firing the head coach, jettisioning the starting QB and enduring the worst right tackle in the league we enter the this year as the Year of the new Quarterback. Our first pick was spent on a QB and our second on a tackle to protect him.

So Irelands picks are not random at all in fact you can almost predick them and under Parcells you could almost pick the players we were going to draft before the draft because of the requirements of size that Parcells demanded in his drafted players. I believe that Ireland has moved away from that model after reviewing the players selected in 2011 and 2012. I beleive this is a good thing because now Ireland has a greater pool of players to choose from. In other words if the guy is a little shorter and lighter than what I call the Parcells model Ireland is drafting the guy. During his frist 3 -4 drft under Parcells you could see the positions that Ireland was going to draft early in the draft along with the probable players but later in the draft Ireland would sway from that model and in many cases as have been commented his later picks and college free agents have worked out better than his picks in round 2-4. In this years draft Jeff I believe finally broke that mold and other than Egnew and possibly Kaddu the picks look fairly solid all the way down the line.

So what to expect in the 2013 draft I am predicting spending that first picks on defensive end to rush the passer, with the next 3 picks to be WR/TE, CB and OL maybe not in that order.
I expect and hope in FA we pick a big name reciever, good guard, punishing RB and qb. In FA other than the reciever type these other positions should be affordable with the veteran QB a backup type.
I hope and expect us to resign Hartline, Fasano, Clemons, Smith and maybe Bush. These guys except maybe Smith should be affordable, young and fit the system.
Because of salary, age and depth at certain positions I see us letting Starks, McDaniels, Long, Moore and Bush probably walk

Lazy thread. lazy lazy lazy. you have to attach the players names in order to asses the totality. But what Datruth did on VIP was totality of the entire league. Which showed so many misses in the league its not funny. the grass is always greener somewhere other than south florida.

Those "solid picks" were Ireland's picks.....then Parcells drafted guys in the 2 and 3 round(bad picks are his fault, never Irealnd)and then Ireland took over at the start of round 4.Then look at Ireland getting undrafted rookies......he got us Bess(Parcells was in charge that year but Bess was Ireland's idea of course) and who else did we get as an undrafted rookie? I'm getting a little older and I'm sure I'm missing a few starters that Ireland got us after the draft was over.....just can't remember any of them right now....can someone help me out here?....hard to believe I'm missing all the names of all the "solid picks" that Ireland got from the 4 till the 7 round.

Ozzy rules!!

Those "solid picks" were Ireland's picks.....then Parcells drafted guys in the 2 and 3 round(bad picks are his fault, never Irealnd)and then Ireland took over at the start of round 4.Then look at Ireland getting undrafted rookies......he got us Bess(Parcells was in charge that year but Bess was Ireland's idea of course) and who else did we get as an undrafted rookie? I'm getting a little older and I'm sure I'm missing a few starters that Ireland got us after the draft was over.....just can't remember any of them right now....can someone help me out here?....hard to believe I'm missing all the names of all the "solid picks" that Ireland got from the 4 till the 7 round.

Ozzy rules!!

Well this year was a banner year for college fa makint the team with Lane, Shelby, Thigpin, Samuda for one.

These are the draft picks that I know of still in the league

Thomas, Hillard, Parmalle,in 08
B Hartline,, Clemons, 09
AJ Edds. Carroll, Jones, Spitler,in 10
Gates, Clay, Krearse, Wilson in 11
Miller, Kaddu, Cunningham, Randall, Mathews and Cunningham in 12

Well this year was a banner year for college fa makint the team with Lane, Shelby, Thigpin, Samuda for one.

These are the draft picks that I know of still in the league

Thomas, Hillard, Parmalle,in 08
B Hartline,, Clemons, 09
AJ Edds. Carroll, Jones, Spitler,in 10
Gates, Clay, Krearse, Wilson in 11
Miller, Kaddu, Cunningham, Randall, Mathews and Cunningham in 12

Wow, look at all those probowlers....Ireland is just amazing......he just keeps on coming up with playmaker after playmaker.

Ozzy rules!!

Back
Top Bottom