The case AGAINST BPA | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case AGAINST BPA

BPA is a complete farce. If a QB, WR or LT is the BPA and the Dolphins take them that would be ridiculous. Not to mention BPA to who? Mel Kiper, Tod Mcshay, some fan? It's all subjective as the draft is far from a perfect science (see many top picks). Any team could take any player that is a 1st round talent and call them the BPA on their board and while you could argue it they really can't be wrong.

Carroo is a perfect example as why not to choose BPA while coughing up precious draft picks in the process.
Clearly, someone in the decision loop had a desire to get Carroo; and that it was worth giving up those "precious" draft pics to get him for certain; where we got him. Since it's been said numerous times by numerous team sources that TB, Griere and Gase work closely together in the decision process during a draft, wouldn't we then necessarily have to assume that Gase approved of getting that player, at that cost, at the time?

My point is, what you are really doing is questioning Adam Gase's judgment as to what he felt he needed at that time with the resources at hand to make the team better on HIS schedule. A choice he felt was worth setting aside all other options for.

I don't think anyone, including Gase, can say yet whether it was worth it. But I can say that Gase has thus far shown a remarkable ability to get the most out of players. Therefore, my money is on the Carroo pick turning out to be a good one in the long run.

Clearly, someone in the decision loop had a desire to get Carroo; and that it was worth giving up those "precious" draft pics to get him for certain; where we got him. Since it's been said numerous times by numerous team sources that TB, Griere and Gase work closely together in the decision process during a draft, wouldn't we then necessarily have to assume that Gase approved of getting that player, at that cost, at the time?

My point is, what you are really doing is questioning Adam Gase's judgment as to what he felt he needed at that time with the resources at hand to make the team better on HIS schedule. A choice he felt was worth setting aside all other options for.

I don't think anyone, including Gase, can say yet whether it was worth it. But I can say that Gase has thus far shown a remarkable ability to get the most out of players. Therefore, my money is on the Carroo pick turning out to be a good one in the long run.

:up: I'm aware. Toss in the Grant selection and he had a rough draft in his first year which I guess should be expected to some extent for a rookie HC.

The case against BPA on Thursday is quite simple, you simply don't overcrowd a talented position.
For all the BPA proponents, pick-by-pick progression is often (but not always) talent marginal..BUT, the team needs are not. The best approach is the BPNA, which is the "best player by NEED".
Would even the strongest BPA fan agree with a receiver at #22? Running back?

We have needs that have to be addressed. An OG does not make the line better, it makes RT better, it makes Landry and the receiving corps better, it makes the running game better. The converse goes for pass rush, it strangles the opposing passing game. You do not pass up that opportunity by adding to the logjam in our receiving lineup.

So.... pick the BEST player that will affect our W-L, NOT the BPA (unless they match). Anyone who thinks otherwise, would be pleased if we chose a receiver at BPA with our #22 pick.
Your argument is all fine and good, but you failed to address the scenario where the team has to reach to fill the position passing possibly multiple better options. The truth of the matter is nothing is cutting dry in the NFL draft regardless of the round. Dion Jordan proved that all by himself.

My argument4 BPA would be I would rather have depth and competition making the cream rise to the top then a mediocre DE or LB just so a handful of opinionated fans are happy. In my opinion this team is still more than a single draft away from being where we all want It, but with a successful draft in 2017 we will be very close.

I'll finish with the caveat, nobody wants to see the team pass on the closest thing to a sure thing in a position of need IF that's the way the draft falls out. No-brainer! If the front office feels everyone they were interested in is off the board then I'm happy with whatever they decide. If that's a running back so be it.

Your argument is all fine and good, but you failed to address the scenario where the team has to reach to fill the position passing possibly multiple better options. The truth of the matter is nothing is cutting dry in the NFL draft regardless of the round. Dion Jordan proved that all by himself. My argument4 BPA would be I would rather have depth and competition making the cream rise to the top then a mediocre DE or LB just so a handful of opinionated fans are happy. In my opinion this team is still more than a single draft away from being where we all want It, but with a successful draft in 2017 we will be very close. I'll finish with the caveat, nobody wants to see the team pass on the closest thing to a sure thing in a position of need IF that's the way the draft falls out. No-brainer! If the front office feels everyone they were interested in is off the board then I'm happy with whatever they decide. If that's a running back so be it.
>>" then a mediocre DE or LB" I'm struggling with the "mediocre" part. Regardless what round is "up," there is, generally, NOT a choice between a remaining talented pure BPA and a mediocre talent. More than likely, the players are rated close to each other. As I said elsewhere, this may not be the case in later rounds, but higher rounds, generally, are tightly grouped. I think most (all?) fans would agree on pure BPA if the choice was the 38th ranked and 138yh ranked. Tangentially, how much does a team's psychiatrist's opinion count in an evaluation, or the player's interview with team evaluators? I see a lot of posts/articles discussing 40 times, arm lengths, quickness, and other factors, but NONE discussing the intellectual/personality factors. That's because no one knows what those evaluations reveal nor do they know the weight given to those factors. Which leads to my second point, . . . is it possible to know when a team DIDN'T pick pure BPA? Can't say it's because they picked a position of need - he may have been the top ranked player.

The only way that trade can turn out to be good is for Carroo to turn into at least a #2 WR which as long as we have Parker, Stills and Laundry it will not happen and keep on mind that for him to be #2 it means we need to lose two of the 3 guys we have now so the trade didn't not help last year and it won't help this year either and honestly it will most likely never work. I like Gase but if he pushed for this deal then he made a mistake imo. Nobody's perfect. Even Shula made mistakes so it's ok Gase did but lets call it for what it was.....it was/is a mistake

Ozzy rules!!

Would even the strongest BPA fan agree with a receiver at #22?
Not a bit. Which is why if we end up with a QB and WR after round three, folks are going to have the tar, feathers and pitchforks ready. :d-day:

The only way that trade can turn out to be good is for Carroo to turn into at least a #2 WR which as long as we have Parker, Stills and Laundry it will not happen and keep on mind that for him to be #2 it means we need to lose two of the 3 guys we have now so the trade didn't not help last year and it won't help this year either and honestly it will most likely never work. I like Gase but if he pushed for this deal then he made a mistake imo. Nobody's perfect. Even Shula made mistakes so it's ok Gase did but lets call it for what it was.....it was/is a mistake

Ozzy rules!!

I take it you are not a fan of quality depth? At least, not a fan of paying the price one must for it? I think if we view Carroo as Gase's insurance against injury of his starting wide receivers, the pick makes sense. Also, while Carroo has only been insurance up to now, he could very well develop into one of our starters with time. Additionally, keep in mind that Gase could not know for certain that Stills would still be here for 2017. I would imagine that since he will be, Gase views Carro as gravy now. Roast beef just ain't the same without gravy.

I take it you are not a fan of quality depth? At least, not a fan of paying the price one must for it? I think if we view Carroo as Gase's insurance against injury of his starting wide receivers, the pick makes sense. Also, while Carroo has only been insurance up to now, he could very well develop into one of our starters with time. Additionally, keep in mind that Gase could not know for certain that Stills would still be here for 2017. I would imagine that since he will be, Gase views Carro as gravy now. Sorry, but I really like gravy on my roast beef.

I love quality depth, it's why I value the 3 draft picks we **** away and the 3rd and 4th desperately needed in this year's defensive laden draft.

Oh, and . . .

Keep your gravy far away from my roast beef. What a ****ing abomination that is.

prime-rib-roast.jpg

Back
Top Bottom