The case AGAINST BPA | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case AGAINST BPA

Sure, giving away pick for Carroo wasn't good enough, now lets draft a WR at 22......what is wrong with people?....maybe after taking a WR at 22 then we can take a RB at 54 and a LT at 97. Who cares that we need help at DE,DT,LB,FS,OG and slot corner. .......smh

Ozzy rules!!

all this formula/strategy talk is stupid. when the time comes for Miami to pick, theyre going to pick the player they think has the best chance to help the team the most.

period.

all this formula/strategy talk is stupid. when the time comes for Miami to pick, theyre going to pick the player they think has the best chance to help the team the most.

period.

Agreed, which will only be BPA if it is also a position of need = BPNA

BPA is absolutely the way to go round 1-3, day 3 you can start to differ to needs if you want. If we for example got Mike Williams or Corey Davis round 1 this year I would be very happy. Trade Devante and be set for the next 5 years. It's never bad to add high talent on your team. We can use any/all the talent we can get. High quality depth is always a good thing. We are not 1 year away.

BPA is absolutely the way to go round 1-3, day 3 you can start to differ to needs if you want. If we for example got Mike Williams or Corey Davis round 1 this year I would be very happy. Trade Devante and be set for the next 5 years. It's never bad to add high talent on your team. We can use any/all the talent we can get. High quality depth is always a good thing. We are not 1 year away.

Keep up **** like that and you'll never be just one year away or even remotely close to competing as a team.

BPA should be the absolute only way to draft. Why pass on a potentially elite player and take the average player just because the average one plays a position of immediate need? I'd rather take a JJ Watt and limp through the season with subpar guard play because of what the elite player brings. Same scenario if you've got a Larry Allen sitting there to fix your OL for a decade, why take the run-of-the-mill linebacker, just because you need one?

There should be no case against BPA.

It's not a coincidence that all the players they've brought in for visits were lb, cb, dl, S, and og. I would bet anyone that the "3 best player available" for Mia's first 3 picks are to those positions.

BPA should be the absolute only way to draft. Why pass on a potentially elite player and take the average player JUST BECAUSE AN AVERAGE ONE PLAYS A POSITION OF IMMEDIATE NEED? I'd rather take a JJ Watt and limp through the season with subpar guard play because of what the elite player brings. Same scenario if you've got a Larry Allen sitting there to fix your OL for a decade, why take the run-of-the-mill linebacker, just because you need one? There should be no case against BPA.
I struggle with that one. I suspect that scenario is rarely seen (I'm assuming an "average" player is never ranked in R1). It's more likely a top player (no one knows if they're 'elite' or not) ranked, say, 15th or a position of need ranked 19th. And we all can name "can't miss" talent who busted. I can just imagine the fan reaction if Miami took Trubinsky because he was rated above an available Willis, and, no, no one knows how THEIR team's board shakes out. I'll repeat, . . . of those in FH who rank draftees, about 80% (I made that up) will be disappointed when Miami's pick doesn't match theirs. In a situation requiring educated guesses, there is no "right," there's only VERY wrong (insert Pat White).

I struggle with that one. I suspect that scenario is rarely seen (I'm assuming an "average" player is never ranked in R1). It's more likely a top player (no one knows if they're 'elite' or not) ranked, say, 15th or a position of need ranked 19th. And we all can name "can't miss" talent who busted. I can just imagine the fan reaction if Miami took Trubinsky because he was rated above an available Willis, and, no, no one knows how THEIR team's board shakes out. I'll repeat, . . . of those in FH who rank draftees, about 80% (I made that up) will be disappointed when Miami's pick doesn't match theirs. In a situation requiring educated guesses, there is no "right," there's only VERY wrong (insert Pat White).

Pat White at the time was viewed as a need for that position as Parcells figured that was a wrinkle in the wild cat that the NFL was not ready for, and he may have been right if he chose a Tim Tebow instead of a Pat White who was just too small. Of course Wes Welker was small just tougher.

Pat White at the time was viewed as a need for that position as Parcells figured that was a wrinkle in the wild cat that the NFL was not ready for, and he may have been right if he chose a Tim Tebow instead of a Pat White who was just too small. Of course Wes Welker was small just tougher.
Yeah, my point was PW is the closest my old memory can come to picking someone FAR above ranking just because of need. More often, it SEEMS the rankings of every player picked day 1 are, within reason, picked close to ranking, and that's not accounting for interviews, fit, and other factors. Too many seem to think there is A draft board, not 32.

Here's the argument for the best player available. Its called free agency something that did not exist back when Shula started coaching. In today's NFL you can't coach athletes up 2-3 years waiting for them to develop into a full time starter. You pretty much need success immediately or at least by the 2nd year of a rookie contract. You have medocre veteran's that can fill the gaps in the meanwhile your team is adding superior much cheaper talent through the draft. Adding superior talent regardless of the position also adds to future draft picks which also increases your drafting superiority. Look no further than the Pats who have even drafted Quarterbacks with Tom Brady on their roster over the years only to trade them later usually for another high pick before the QB's rookies contract is up

Yeah, my point was PW is the closest my old memory can come to picking someone FAR above ranking just because of need. More often, it SEEMS the rankings of every player picked day 1 are, within reason, picked close to ranking, and that's not accounting for interviews, fit, and other factors. Too many seem to think there is A draft board, not 32.
Fair enough Pat White ended up being a terrible 2nd round pick. Someone fell in the phins brain trust fell in love with his skill set but never dugg deep enough to see if the small guy was tough enough. We got one of the same last year in the kid from Texas tech who continued to cough up the ball. Being a small athlete in the NFL is usually a huge strike against you. Even the tough Welker suscumbed to concussions.

Here's the argument for the best player available. Its called free agency something that did not exist back when Shula started coaching. In today's NFL you can't coach athletes up 2-3 years waiting for them to develop into a full time starter. You pretty much need success immediately or at least by the 2nd year of a rookie contract. You have medocre veteran's that can fill the gaps in the meanwhile your team is adding superior much cheaper talent through the draft. Adding superior talent regardless of the position also adds to future draft picks which also increases your drafting superiority. Look no further than the Pats who have even drafted Quarterbacks with Tom Brady on their roster over the years only to trade them later usually for another high pick before the QB's rookies contract is up
I'm willing to be proven wrong (gently), but as long as I've been watching the lead up to the draft, I've yet to see a mock on the order of "The Pats always pick pure BPA so they will pick Barry Sanders." Nope, every mock lists the projected player with a comment mentioning team needs. Why would they do that if a team was known to pick pure BPA? I've never seen an article or talking head mention an NFL team as pure BPA. Tunsil certainly wasn't pure BPA. Almost every fan with a pulse saw OG as a need. I admit, perennial top 8 teams have fewer holes and can gamble more (e.g., a R3 QB), but a draft full of pure BPA? I've never seen it. And s others have mentioned, what if, for example, the Pats pure BPA in the 1st three rounds is QB? Every team knows NE won't carry 5 QBs (Brady, backup, 3 rookies). Why would a team trade when they know NE will HAVE TO cut 2-3? Yes, I know, that example is nearly nonexistent, but if there was justifiable evidence of it's superiority, teams would use it. I suspect we'll just agree to have different perspectives. All that said, pure BPA in rounds 5,6,7? I'm in.

Well, there are going to be obvious passes like taking a QB when you have an established one. But the whole Ju'wuan James pick immediately comes to mind. Not only did we pick for need and passed on a more talented player (Brandin Cooks), it can be argued we reached for him anyways. I think you always go BPA, period. Talent should always trump immediate need.

Well, there are going to be obvious passes like taking a QB when you have an established one. But the whole Ju'wuan James pick immediately comes to mind. Not only did we pick for need and passed on a more talented player (Brandin Cooks), it can be argued we reached for him anyways. I think you always go BPA, period. Talent should always trump immediate need.

And then we'd be looking for 4 positions along the line? No thanks. This isn't a fantasy football roster.

We've done quite well in the WR department lately also.

Back
Top Bottom