The case for Chase Allen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The case for Chase Allen

I believe Steen started. Davis did come in pretty early though

No. The announcers said Steen started, but Davis was in on the first play this week. I didn't know who 77 even was so after the big Ajayi run, I rewound to the beginning to see who was in. Last week I honestly didn't pay attention to LG.

Chase Allen needs more experience and seasoning, he certainly shows potential. I think he was trying too hard last night and missed a few plays and didn't tackle well, instead of wrapping up he went for the big hit, throwing himself all around. He's gotta learn to hone those skills and be more reliable as a tackler and not worry about killing everyone. Time is what is going to make or break his NFL potential. If he develops, he could someday be at the very least a solid backup.

Eric Smith was the best UDFA last night. I'd like to see him get a shot over Young for swing tackle. Allen looked good early, but faded badly. But he has an intriguing combo of size and speed to me. I'd guess he lands on the practice squad, but wouldn't be totally shocked if he made the 53. What is the story with the guard Jesse Davis? He started at LG last night, and one site noted he started the first preseason game as well. He ended with a bad PFF grade for yesterday, and didn't look good against the 2s and 3s, but played well on the first two drive. He was the guard (#77) that pulled and sprung Ajayi of the big run that got called back. Seemed to move really well out in space, and also looks plenty strong, but later in the game seemed to struggle inline. I'm just curious as to why he's starting these games. Doesn't bode very well for Steen IMHO if this guy has a leg up on him along with Brendel and obviously Asiata for an interior position.
Eric Smith certainly didn't hurt himself last night. Once again displaying all that Slimm wrote about him, when he signed with Miami. I love this kid, I think he gives Miami a long term answer on the offensive line. Whether it's as a starter or multi position backup remains to be seen. If he continues his solid play, it wouldn't surprise me, that Smith finds himself in the starting lineup.

Thank gawd it's Friday, I was trying to remember when we signed a linebacker named Eric Smith. D'oh.

I do like Eric Smith as an OT. Not sure if he can beat out Young who is limited but has some nfl experience.

I thought Chase Allen was one of the worst players on the field last night, and specifically in the second half. Maybe I was unfair to him by focusing on him primarily in that half when he may have run out of steam. But jeez were there some horrendous plays.

On one play after another he was fooled and took several missteps. Other plays he was hesitant. On that long catch and run down the left sideline in the middle of the third quarter he seemed scared to get involved in the tackle so he allowed the runner to merely ramble further downfield. That play reminded me of that Cincinnati Thursday night game several years ago in which Brent Grimes covered tons of ground on a swing pass long catch and run but mostly Grimes was an observer, not a tackler.

He had somewhat of an excuse given his frame. Chase Allen does not.

I am not a big believer in this guy. Granted, that comes with a built in advantage because undrafted players are not often special, no matter what it looks like in the early going. If we settle for players of this caliber and try to pretend they are starting level, you're logically losing ground to the rest of the league bit by bit.

While watching Chase Allen last night I had an immediate reference toward what it reminded me of. Dave Campo was a really good guy who the Cowboys tried to turn into a head coach in the early 2000s. Jerry Jones believed in Campo so he gave him three full seasons. Meanwhile, Campo was overly loyal to smart hard trying guys who had absolutely no business being on an NFL roster, or at least as starter. Those Campo teams were hard trying and weren't awful against the spread because they were well prepared and gave their all. It was just that the talent level was so meager. They went 5-11 for three consecutive seasons.

So while watching Chase Allen last night it was all I could think of...this would have been an ideal starting linebacker for those Campo teams, or a modern day equivalent.

I hope that's not us. Like Billy Turner a few years ago, our aspirations need to be considerably higher than Chase Allen.

The case for not is last nights tape. That was horrible. This kid can't run either.

Miamis lb corp that played in the second half last night was horrendous. Some guys gonna make it due to numbers at lb that have zero business playing in a game on defense. The Uva kid and Maurice smith are the two most roster worthy udfas although unless Miami keeps 4 safeties on the initial 53 Maurice smith is getting cut.

You're being too hard on him Awsi. As an undrafted nobody out of nowhere, he held his own in the first half. Had some nice stops against the run and tipped a pass that would've been a touchdown. He didn't look out of place until the 3rd ... and he was clearly gassed. That was kind of weird because there was halftime to recover ... but you could see it. Head down, hands on his hips, generally just dragging. I think he was so juiced in the first half knowing he'd be getting a bunch of snaps in his first NFL action and there was so much on the line that he let it get to him.

But you're absolutely right - there were some horrendous snaps in the second half. He was just diving into the scrum on running plays at one point. I know the coaches saw it ... maybe they were just seeing how he responded. More responsibilities in the middle during the second half probably didn't help anything.

Lacey and Reilly stuck out like sore thumbs in terms of bad tape. Allen and Hull played well enough for another look. I'm not saying he's gonna step in and be an all pro or anything, but there were some plays in the first half that gave reason for hope. Next few games are obviously ginormous for him.

Or could be just adjusting ... :p

Last edited:
I guess there's mixed reviews on Allen. I thought he played well for the most part

I would be elated if Chase Allen could come off the practice squad sometime after mid-season and play some ST's and maybe a few snaps to give old man Timmons a breather.

Chase Allen's value as an UDFA is down the road. I think he was a great signing that will pay big in the future if they are patient with him. The kid has similar size and work out numbers to Kuechly. Obviously all rookies have a learning curve.

Who was the last rookie drafted after the third round that was an instant success at the LB position their rookie year?

This place gets to hyped over UDFA in TC & PS.

They're limited players with little potential.

Miami is filled with those types of players at important spots.

Ironically Ck and a few of the other top Fins twitrer follows thought he was awful and that thr top 2 udfa are Eric and Maurice Smith
Awful....? That's insane !!! ...this guy plays hard and is all over the field. He is better than Mike Hull from a pure talent aspect that is obvious.
Ironically Ck and a few of the other top Fins twitrer follows thought he was awful and that thr top 2 udfa are Eric and Maurice Smith

Chase Allen currently leads the NFL in tackles.

That may change tonight when AZ plays, but it will be there third game because of this year's HOF game. The kid the Cowboys picke up from Northwestern has been impressive, he could overtake Chase Allen if Allen has a bad game.

He might just lead the league in tackles after this preseason is over.

Allen did show decent pass defense instincts with his eyes while facing the quarterback in the midrange zones. That was in such contrast to Dion Jordan who was tried in that role briefly a few years ago and had no idea what he was doing.

Allen made a nice agile move to get his hands on one throw in the first half, and was in the correct position on a touchdown pass during the second half but allowed the ball to go over his head. I wanted them to replay that throw from the end zone to see if Allen simply didn't jump high enough or didn't see the ball quickly enough but they never aired the proper angle.

Back
Top Bottom