The Center Debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Center Debate

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Lots of talk lately about Karras and whether or not Miami will look to extend his contract. I'm on the fence. On the one hand, we are hearing good things about his communication, doing all the little things right, his leadership on a young line etc. But, is he the long-term answer? It's a good year for centers, so I thought I'd open up a thread discussing that.

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma (Here's a report from Pro Football Network)

Humphrey grew up in Shawnee, Oklahoma, and has Sooners football in his blood. As mentioned by ESPN’s Senior Writer Chris Low, “The only thing more intertwined in Humphrey family blood than Sooner football was wrestling. From the time Humphrey was four, he was on the mats.” That wrestling background is evident in his play, as one of his strongest traits is his ability to win with leverage.

Humphrey, standing 6’5″ and weighing 320 pounds, has ideal size for the position and brings a nasty temperament to the table. Humphrey, who earned first-team All-Big 12 honors last season, is a true technician, consistently displaying the fundamentals of the position. It surely doesn’t hurt that he has one of the best offensive line coaches in college football, Bill Bedenbaugh, working with him on a daily basis.

His best traits are his overwhelming power, his ability to play with a terrific pad level, and as mentioned above, his ability to win with leverage. Out of all of the 2021 offensive linemen, you’d be hard-pressed to find any that have the power that Humphrey possesses. He is built short and compact, so when he fires out of his stance and stays low, he can control his opposition with ease. His power at the point of attack is elite, as is his hand usage. His hand placement and ability to lock onto defenders is exceptional.

Josh Meyers, Ohio State (from Expandtheboxscore.com)

Myers has the size and strength to play either center or guard at the next level. He will fit best in a gap-based scheme where he can use his explosiveness off the ball and strong leg drive to move the line of scrimmage. He may struggle in a zone scheme due to inconsistent hand timing and inability to swing his hips around on scoop or reach blocks. He will thrive in any type of passing scheme, with the anchor ability to sustain on long vertical routes and the punch strength for jump sets.

Myers’ versatility and pass blocking acumen will make him a valuable asset to a gap-based team. Though not as dominant physically as other interior linemen in the draft, he will be a valuable, consistent presence. A needy gap team may reach for him in the late 1st, but his overall talent level puts him as an early 2nd round selection at the moment.

Landon Dickerson, Alabama (from Fansided nflmocks.com)

Dickerson is a former highly-ranked recruit out of North Carolina who began his college career at Florida State. He spent three injury-riddled seasons with the Seminoles before making the move to Alabama. Dickerson was a solid contributor when he was healthy at Florida State, but he seemed to be injured more often than not.

Dickerson became an immediate starter at Alabama last season, having success at both right guard and center. He eventually settled in as the Crimson Tide’s starting center and has taken his game to the next level this season.

While Dickerson is not the most impressive mover in space, he is a big and powerful offensive lineman who can dominate at the point of attack. He clears out rushing lanes with absolute ease and does a great job of anchoring in and protecting against power in pass protection.

Alec Lindstrom, Boston College (from thedraftnetwork.com)

Father played in the NFL for three seasons and his brother, Chris, was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2019. Has experience long snapping. He’s a technician with power. Notable strength in his core to absorb power, redirect and remain in control. Has a finishers mentality and he looks to put dudes on their back. Does well to unlock his hips in drive block situations and create movement. Highly successful combo blocking and climbing to the second level with consistency. Generally does well to play within himself and not waste-bend or end up on the ground. Has good functional athleticism and range. Tape is littered with impact blocks in the screen game. Packs a fairly powerful punch and he is committed to fitting his hands - no notable timing or placement concerns.

CONS: Has too many reps where he is out-leveraged and will allow some penetration where opponents can get under his pads and work him back. Is guilty of dropping his head, losing control of reps and defenders can work to his edges and shoot gaps - this happened mostly on run plays with a head-up nose stacked on top of him. Had some issues with longer pulls where he needed to take a tighter angle to arrive on schedule and the running back got ahead of him when he was tasked with being the lead blocker on the rep.
Note: snaps left-handed

Others:

Luke Matthews, Texas A'M
Trey Hill, Georgia
Jim Morrissey, Pittsburgh
Drake Jackson, Kentucky

By the way, does anyone know an advantage to snapping left-handed? I had never heard or considered that before. Would that be a benefit to a left-handed quarterback?

By the way, does anyone know an advantage to snapping left-handed? I had never heard or considered that before. Would that be a benefit to a left-handed quarterback?
I believe some believe a lefty to lefty exchange is a "good" thing. However that doesn't mean better
unless you're QB / C are having problems. I haven't see any evidence of that in the games we've played.
So if it's not a problem it doesn't need to be fixed. Beyond that Humphrey's stock has seemingly dropped
so one has to question his core intelligence for staying in college when he was really a hot commodity
a year ago.

I believe some believe a lefty to lefty exchange is a "good" thing. However that doesn't mean better
unless you're QB / C are having problems. I haven't see any evidence of that in the games we've played.
So if it's not a problem it doesn't need to be fixed. Beyond that Humphrey's stock has seemingly dropped
so one has to question his core intelligence for staying in college when he was really a hot commodity
a year ago.
I just thought that was interesting. I never heard a reference to a lefty snapper.

Not sure why Humphrey is dropping, but seems like most scouting reports have him as the top center.

Lots of talk lately about Karras and whether or not Miami will look to extend his contract. I'm on the fence. On the one hand, we are hearing good things about his communication, doing all the little things right, his leadership on a young line etc. But, is he the long-term answer? It's a good year for centers, so I thought I'd open up a thread discussing that.

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma (Here's a report from Pro Football Network)

Humphrey grew up in Shawnee, Oklahoma, and has Sooners football in his blood. As mentioned by ESPN’s Senior Writer Chris Low, “The only thing more intertwined in Humphrey family blood than Sooner football was wrestling. From the time Humphrey was four, he was on the mats.” That wrestling background is evident in his play, as one of his strongest traits is his ability to win with leverage.

Humphrey, standing 6’5″ and weighing 320 pounds, has ideal size for the position and brings a nasty temperament to the table. Humphrey, who earned first-team All-Big 12 honors last season, is a true technician, consistently displaying the fundamentals of the position. It surely doesn’t hurt that he has one of the best offensive line coaches in college football, Bill Bedenbaugh, working with him on a daily basis.

His best traits are his overwhelming power, his ability to play with a terrific pad level, and as mentioned above, his ability to win with leverage. Out of all of the 2021 offensive linemen, you’d be hard-pressed to find any that have the power that Humphrey possesses. He is built short and compact, so when he fires out of his stance and stays low, he can control his opposition with ease. His power at the point of attack is elite, as is his hand usage. His hand placement and ability to lock onto defenders is exceptional.

Josh Meyers, Ohio State (from Expandtheboxscore.com)

Myers has the size and strength to play either center or guard at the next level. He will fit best in a gap-based scheme where he can use his explosiveness off the ball and strong leg drive to move the line of scrimmage. He may struggle in a zone scheme due to inconsistent hand timing and inability to swing his hips around on scoop or reach blocks. He will thrive in any type of passing scheme, with the anchor ability to sustain on long vertical routes and the punch strength for jump sets.

Myers’ versatility and pass blocking acumen will make him a valuable asset to a gap-based team. Though not as dominant physically as other interior linemen in the draft, he will be a valuable, consistent presence. A needy gap team may reach for him in the late 1st, but his overall talent level puts him as an early 2nd round selection at the moment.

Landon Dickerson, Alabama (from Fansided nflmocks.com)

Dickerson is a former highly-ranked recruit out of North Carolina who began his college career at Florida State. He spent three injury-riddled seasons with the Seminoles before making the move to Alabama. Dickerson was a solid contributor when he was healthy at Florida State, but he seemed to be injured more often than not.

Dickerson became an immediate starter at Alabama last season, having success at both right guard and center. He eventually settled in as the Crimson Tide’s starting center and has taken his game to the next level this season.

While Dickerson is not the most impressive mover in space, he is a big and powerful offensive lineman who can dominate at the point of attack. He clears out rushing lanes with absolute ease and does a great job of anchoring in and protecting against power in pass protection.

Alec Lindstrom, Boston College (from thedraftnetwork.com)

Father played in the NFL for three seasons and his brother, Chris, was a first-round pick of the Atlanta Falcons in 2019. Has experience long snapping. He’s a technician with power. Notable strength in his core to absorb power, redirect and remain in control. Has a finishers mentality and he looks to put dudes on their back. Does well to unlock his hips in drive block situations and create movement. Highly successful combo blocking and climbing to the second level with consistency. Generally does well to play within himself and not waste-bend or end up on the ground. Has good functional athleticism and range. Tape is littered with impact blocks in the screen game. Packs a fairly powerful punch and he is committed to fitting his hands - no notable timing or placement concerns.

CONS: Has too many reps where he is out-leveraged and will allow some penetration where opponents can get under his pads and work him back. Is guilty of dropping his head, losing control of reps and defenders can work to his edges and shoot gaps - this happened mostly on run plays with a head-up nose stacked on top of him. Had some issues with longer pulls where he needed to take a tighter angle to arrive on schedule and the running back got ahead of him when he was tasked with being the lead blocker on the rep.
Note: snaps left-handed

Others:

Luke Matthews, Texas A'M
Trey Hill, Georgia
Jim Morrissey, Pittsburgh
Drake Jackson, Kentucky
Dickerson sustained ligament damage in his knee in the game Saturday night against Florida.

I could definitely get on board with drafting a center with one of those top four picks if that is where the value lines up.
If Miami is picking closer to 30ish, I think center or running back could be in play there.

There's a definite benefit in terms of communication to keeping a unit together which works in Karras favour. But I'd have a look at Andrews at NE and Linsley at GB in FA regardless.

In the draft the list you posted looks good. I do worry about putting a rookie Center in with our current 3 rookies still learning their trade.

There's a definite benefit in terms of communication to keeping a unit together which works in Karras favour. But I'd have a look at Andrews at NE and Linsley at GB in FA regardless.

In the draft the list you posted looks good. I do worry about putting a rookie Center in with our current 3 rookies still learning their trade.
That is a valid concern. For a team that could have legitimate super bowl aspirations next season starting a rookie center is probably not the best formula.

Karras has been solid at best this year.

He has not played well enough to command big FA money and if somehow he gets a silly offer you let him walk.

I would not mind upgrading that spot but it is not a huge need.If they can keep Karras for reasonable money I would not be upset.

Karras has been solid at best this year.

He has not played well enough to command big FA money and if somehow he gets a silly offer you let him walk.

I would not mind upgrading that spot but it is not a huge need.If they can keep Karras for reasonable money I would not be upset.
Michael Deiter could still be a possibility. I know it was a small sample size, but I thought he played well against New England.

I would prefer if the Dolphins didn't spend a #1 pick at center, but if they end up making a deep playoff run and draft Humphrey with a late 20's pick I think the value is there. I thought Dickerson was playing really well for Alabama this year, but he has struggled to stay healthy. I wonder if that makes him a 3rd rounder? He might be interesting in that range. Haven't really studied the position and I think offensive line is one of the hardest positions for fans to "grade."

So what is the max you offer TK. I don't think he is performing well at all this year. I am definitely one pushing for a top C in the draft.

So what is the max you offer TK. I don't think he is performing well at all this year. I am definitely one pushing for a top C in the draft.
I think the fact that Miami hasn't looked to extend him yet, might support your notion.

Where do you think he ranks among the 32 starting centers? Is he middle of the pack, or somewhat lower?

Back
Top Bottom