The Dolphins can learn from this... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Dolphins can learn from this...

The Dolphins used their first round pick to fill a need. We may have given up a fourth rounder to fill that need, but after Carey, who was available at tackle? Carey is versatile and there was a big drop off after him. The Dolphins decided to go after a tackle, and we got the man we wanted.

The Dolphins had a very good second day, including getting some steals in Will Poole and Tony Pape. I actually thought this draft was the best one we had in a while. We didn't have that many picks, but we filled our biggest need, and then got some good value.

Baracuda....one thing what the Niners did in the draft requires is the right picks. Unfortunately, sitting at #20 and not having a 2nd rounder, we didn't have the ammo to trade up much. A lot of draft day dealings are set on where you are at in that particular draft. You could say that RS did the same thing, but in the later rounds, getting the #4 back that lost and ending up with a pick in the 5 and 6th that we didn't have before. It's not the glamorous picks in the first three rounds, but but picks none-the-less. The best way to get into the position the Niners were in is to have a poor season...I'm sure that's not an option for us...

IMO we got the best player available for our biggest need. WR while it is a need was not a BIG need, Thompson could very well show up as a good player in the slot this year with the emphasis on CC and Boston. We HAD to get OL help and with Andrews taken ahead of us Carey was the best on the board, yes we gave up a 4th but we got the man we NEEDED. We should be OK at WR this year with CC, Boston, Minnis, Thompson, and Tolver. Not to mention the other WR we signed to return kicks, his name escapes me at the moment. A far as needs go in my book WR was 3rd maybe 4th on the list behind OL, DT, and maybe LB or S. So I was glad to see Carey picked because once McIntosh returns from injury we may have one of the deepest lines around, which is a far cry from years past. We are young and talented with alot of POTENTIAL, I will wait and see how that translates on the field before rating RS's first offseason. But I will applaud the effort to get better and younger, something that has been missing in Miami for a while.If the OL can pull together and AJ pans out the sky is the limit for this team if not we could be terrible, that scares me but it will make the season that much more exciting.

ckparrothead said:
Your concern is understandable, but we went a whole year last year with the WR position that we would face now if either Boston or Chambers went down for a game or three, and I don't call that half bad as far as injury insurance goes. We did go 10-6 last season...and I know our offense struggled, but every team is vulnerable to injuries, and having Derrius Thompson as our 3rd WR makes us no more vulnerable than many teams in terms of injury at the WR position...in fact it makes us less vulnerable than some of them IMO.

Here's the thing. Would you rather have allocated our first (and fourth) rounder toward injury insurance at the wide receiver position, or would you rather have allocated it to a starter at right tackle on the offensive line? Me, I would much rather use the resources to make sure that things are going right up front from game 1 on rather than making sure things go right on the outside in the event that a guy gets injured...

:clap: Right on Dude!!!!
VERY GOOD POINT!!!

fin-atic said:
Good post. I think Miamni worked the late rounds well. I feel we are going to miss having a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Thats a big fall off in talent form the first round to the fourth round, then we picked a CB, which although promising, was not a need. I would love to have seen those OL, LB picks with 2nd round and third round talent.

We won't know if SF or if the Fins did a good job until after the season. Who knows maybe Miami's late rounders will be more productive than SFs early rounders.

But so far I am unimpressed with our front office and Speilman.

i dont think youve ever been impressed with anything.

first off, the differnece is that the niners targeted woods and new they could get him especially the way things developed. We were more after a OL than a WR since we have boston and chambers...........duh. its a no brainer, you have two guys of equal talent at the same position and you stay at 20 and get one of them. whats so hard to figure out about that? i cant stand little nitpickers of negativity. get real. get a life.

fin-atic said:
Good post. I think Miamni worked the late rounds well. I feel we are going to miss having a 2nd and 3rd rounder. Thats a big fall off in talent form the first round to the fourth round, then we picked a CB, which although promising, was not a need. I would love to have seen those OL, LB picks with 2nd round and third round talent.

We won't know if SF or if the Fins did a good job until after the season. Who knows maybe Miami's late rounders will be more productive than SFs early rounders.

But so far I am unimpressed with our front office and Speilman.

Well, you've already made your mind up, and nothing that this front office does will change that. Any move they make, you will criticize, so what you think is irrelevant, IMO. Your mind has already been made up.

This was a post, by someone else that already has their mind made up, that was praising the drafting of the 49ers when they took players of value regardless of need. You come on and say good post, and then you proceed to criticize Miami for taking a cornerback that was a GREAT value pick at 102 and is probably the steal of the draft. Had the 49ers done this, you would be praising them.

Whatever!

The fact of the Dolphins draft remains this. This was a 3 tackle draft. Outside of Gallery, Andrews, and Carey, there were no tackles that would help Miami THIS year. When Andrews went off the board, Miami simply made a move that ensured they got Vernon Carey. They approached this draft with the mindset that they had to get one of the top 3 tackles, and considering that Gallery never was an option, it was between Andrews and Carey. I'm not going to pretend to know who they would have picked had both Andrews and Carey been on the board. I've got a feeling it would have been Andrews, but it wouldn't shock me to see that Miami had Carey rated even with Andrews or a bit higher. With their first pick, Miami got the position they absolutely had to address.

Their second round pick is Wade Smith. They have essentially used their first two picks in the 2004 draft on their starting tackles, or the players that will be their starting tackles in 2004 and beyond. Wade Smith was a 1st team All-Rookie performer last season and has improved his size and strength this offseason. He will do nothing but gain from the experience on the field.

With their third round pick, they were able to move back and pick up two players that will make a contribution to the team this year. First, with the 4th round pick, they got a late first to early second round talent in Will Poole. A great value, and unless you wanted to go into the season with Korey Banks as the dime back, it was a minor need. This is a player that will contribute immediately in the dime package, as the dime corner played 28% of the snaps last season, as well on special teams. Poole can even return punts, so don't be surprised to see him get a look as the punt return man.

With the 5th round pick acquired in the 3rd round trade, they took Tony Bua. A year from now, many are going to look at this pick and say the same things they have said about Zach Thomas in the past.

Miami had a fine draft. They came out of the draft with 3 players that were considered 1st day prospects, and another player that will prove to be one of the steals of the draft.

Back
Top Bottom