The Eastern Conference Finals Thread: Heat vs. Pistons | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Eastern Conference Finals Thread: Heat vs. Pistons

djfresh47 said:
I think Detroit is the best defensive team in the league. Chicago and the Nets are alright but I don't think they are nearly as good as Detroit. I would take rest over rust for any team so the Heat have a huge advantage in that respect. I still like Detroit in 6.

Well Statistically Detroit had the 17th best defense, while Chicago had the best...so im not sure what to make of that

Alex22 said:
Well Statistically Detroit had the 17th best defense, while Chicago had the best...so im not sure what to make of that

What statistic are you using? If you're using Hollinger's points adjusted for pace factor, it's worth noting that Detroit had either the best or second best offense. That, of course, is as bizarre as bizarre can be.

Ticket question, I bougth 4 tickets to game 4, section 416 off ebay for 300$(basically 75$ a peice), face value for the tickets is 42$. Did i get ripped or would all tickets have been about that price?(i know you won't ever get ticket value if you have to buy them off someone)

Also if i did overpay by just a little i guess it was worht it to get 4 seats together

djfresh47 said:
I think Detroit is the best defensive team in the league. Chicago and the Nets are alright but I don't think they are nearly as good as Detroit. I would take rest over rust for any team so the Heat have a huge advantage in that respect. I still like Detroit in 6.

They do have the best defense in the NBA but the question is do they have the best defense against the Heat? Wade and Shaq have had their way with the Pistons over the last couple years. The only Piston that has had any success against Wade is Delfino, and I doubt he will get much playing time. Prince, Hamilton and Hunter dont stand a chance. Of course Shaq has always made a point of dominating the defensive player of the year. I wouldnt be suprised to see 3+ 30-35 point efforts from the big man.

The problem is stopping them. Wade cant stay with Rip and no PF on the Heat can guard 'Sheed. If Riley is forced to put Payton/Posey/Anderson on Rip then the Pistons will have mismatches either with Billups or Prince. Hopefully we get to see the long awaited pairing of Shaq and 'Zo on the floor together, though with 'Zo still hurting he probably wont be seeing many minutes.

phunwin said:
What statistic are you using? If you're using Hollinger's points adjusted for pace factor, it's worth noting that Detroit had either the best or second best offense. That, of course, is as bizarre as bizarre can be.

I believe its either FG% or Points allowed per game not sure which, but I know they are 17th in one of the two, and not so great in the other

Detroit cant find enough points to stay with Miami if we are on our offensive game IMO

My Take:

1) Heat last year barely lost.
2) Wade had an injury, ball didn't bounce our way, whatever.
3) This year we have a better coach. The Pistons have Flip Saunders.
4) We are also healthy and rested (last year we had 8 days, this year 6).
5) We have a few different looks for the Pistons defensively and offensively. Walker v. Tayshaun, Payton and Posey chasing Rip and Jay Will shooting jumpers.
6) We are one year more experienced as a team.
7) Wade is better, smarter.
8) The Pistons played crappy against the Cavs and have more games under their belt.
9) The Heat are gelling, you saw it against the Nets.
10) The Heat torched the Nets who most ESPN analysts picked to beat the Heat.
11) The Pistons romped in the regular season and the Heat coasted, largely due to injuries, but this is a team built for the postseason, not the regular season.
12) I think we are deeper this year. The Pistons are not really that deep (McDyss is good) even though their starting 5 is good.

I'll think of more later, but I have one last impression to give right now. Prior to the end of the Nets series, I thought that the Heat just didn't have it this year. I watched most of the games during the regular season and what stuck out most was their inability to play half court and transition defense. HOWEVER, after watching that Nets series, I changed my mind. They totally gelled. The defense was like nothing I saw during the regular season. They showed that they could clamp down and play like a team. For that and the above reasons I think the Heat win in 6.

The thing is the Pistons arent going to play the way they did against the Cavs. They lost three games in a row which was the first time that had happened all year. I think the Pistons will play like the team they did all season and not like they did last week.

Phinsome said:
Someone refute this (if you can).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-hyde22xmay22,0,7616353.column?coll=sfla-sports-heat

In the final five games of the Cleveland series, Detroit scored 77, 72, 84, 84 and 79 points. Cleveland wasn't an especially good defensive team, ranking 10th in the regular season.

Meanwhile, New Jersey ranked sixth defensively and the Heat closed out that series by scoring 111, 102, 103 and 106 points.

You could easily argue that Cleveland matched up with Detroit better than Miami does. Their real liabilites on defense (center and SF) are the places where Detroit has its least adept scorers. Snow did a much better job on Billups than either JWill or Payton can. They also have a more versatile and athletic frontcourt with Varejao, Marshall and Gooden.

Miami is not going to stop Detroit. The only way they can hold Detroit to the 80's is if the Pistons are missing their open jumpers and the Heat have a pefect, clean offensive game on the other end of the court.

Phinsome said:
Someone refute this (if you can).

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basketball/heat/sfl-hyde22xmay22,0,7616353.column?coll=sfla-sports-heat

In the final five games of the Cleveland series, Detroit scored 77, 72, 84, 84 and 79 points. Cleveland wasn't an especially good defensive team, ranking 10th in the regular season.

Meanwhile, New Jersey ranked sixth defensively and the Heat closed out that series by scoring 111, 102, 103 and 106 points.

Excellent analysis. I mean, anytime you can look at a carefully selected five game stretch and totally ignore the 89 games before it, you should do that.

phunwin said:
Excellent analysis. I mean, anytime you can look at a carefully selected five game stretch and totally ignore the 89 games before it, you should do that.

As to your unnecessary sarcasm: That wasn't an analysis, that was a quote. I'll try to denote that better next time.

As to your substance: The playoffs are different than the regular season. The Nets went 3-1 against the Heat in the regular season and got crushed in the playoffs. So, yes, you can ignore the regular season. I know it's more complicated than the fact that the Pistons played crappy agaisnt the Cavs, but it can't be ignored.

Your tone speaks to the possibility that you are not a heat fan. If not, why the heck are you a Phin fan? :rolleyes:

Ferretsquig said:
You could easily argue that Cleveland matched up with Detroit better than Miami does. Their real liabilites on defense (center and SF) are the places where Detroit has its least adept scorers. Snow did a much better job on Billups than either JWill or Payton can. They also have a more versatile and athletic frontcourt with Varejao, Marshall and Gooden.

Miami is not going to stop Detroit. The only way they can hold Detroit to the 80's is if the Pistons are missing their open jumpers and the Heat have a pefect, clean offensive game on the other end of the court.

Is Snow really a better defender than Payton? I know the guy has a lot of mileage, but that is really his strength. J-Will, no defense, I agree. The Cavs front court more athletic, no way. Varejao, was good, I give you that, but Udonis is way more athletic than Marshall (maybe not as offensively talented). Gooden, come on, he's a ok, but I'd take Walker (PF or SF), Mourning, or Shaq over him any day. Varejao is really the only guy I'd take. As you said, the Pistons front court won't score a ton, so it doesn't really matter. The Heat are much healthier than last year and are playing at a much higher level than the regular season. Being a partisan, please take me with grain of salt, but I really think people will be as suprised with the Heat this series as they were against the Heat. I watched almost every game this season and I can assure you that this is a much different team than I saw all regular season.

All these Cavs/heat comparisons are laughable.

Trust me on this..The Cavs sucked. Nah..really..they were the worst team in the playoffs in the round of 8.

Phinsome said:
Is Snow really a better defender than Payton? I know the guy has a lot of mileage, but that is really his strength. J-Will, no defense, I agree.

You cant look at generalities. We are talking about the matchup of two individuals, not the player's performance over the entire year. Snow played excellent defense against Billups. He fought through the screens, kept Chauncey from posting up and generally just harrassed him all game. Thats not going to happen against the Heat. Hes going to get open looks off the screen and when JWill is in he will have no issues penetrating.

The Cavs front court more athletic, no way. Varejao, was good, I give you that, but Udonis is way more athletic than Marshall (maybe not as offensively talented). Gooden, come on, he's a ok, but I'd take Walker (PF or SF), Mourning, or Shaq over him any day. Varejao is really the only guy I'd take. As you said, the Pistons front court won't score a ton, so it doesn't really matter.

No I said Ben Wallace wont score. 'Sheed is the Piston's primary scoring option against the Heat....Miami has nothing which can slow him down. Haslem doesnt have a chance against him on the perimeter and he can take Walker in the post.

As for athletisism I dont really see argument. Haslem is a very nice good but hes not a great athlete. The Cavs gave the Pistons fits on the offensive glass....the Heat wont.

Back
Top Bottom