The Eastern Conference Finals Thread: Heat vs. Pistons | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Eastern Conference Finals Thread: Heat vs. Pistons

Haslem may not be a great athlete compared to some, but he averages 2 offensive rebounds a gaem. Shaq averages 3 and Mourning 2 in very limited minutes. You can't argue that the Pistons are different here, because the Heat's big men always play well agaisnt the Piston, even if the Heat havent won a lot of games against them in recent years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/teams/stats?team=mia

ChrisKo said:
Pistons in 6

??? the pistons took 7 games to beat the cavs and the heat are 20 times better then the cavs. wade > rip/billups either one he's still better ......shaq > Wallace......heat bench >>>>>>>> pistons bench.....No way pistons take it in 6.

Phinsome said:
Haslem may not be a great athlete compared to some, but he averages 2 offensive rebounds a gaem. Shaq averages 3 and Mourning 2 in very limited minutes. You can't argue that the Pistons are different here, because the Heat's big men always play well agaisnt the Piston, even if the Heat havent won a lot of games against them in recent years.

actually he is a pretty good athlete. He also play very good defense along with rebounding and can be a very good scorer when he's playing with confidence.

MARINO1384 said:
??? the pistons took 7 games to beat the cavs and the heat are 20 times better then the cavs. wade > rip/billups either one he's still better ......shaq > Wallace......heat bench >>>>>>>> pistons bench.....No way pistons take it in 6.

u cant say that. It took the heat 6 to beat chicago and only 5 to beat NJ but yet NJ is better then chicago

Finfan86 said:
u cant say that. It took the heat 6 to beat chicago and only 5 to beat NJ but yet NJ is better then chicago

Not really, because the playoffs are a whole new story. Regular season means nothing when the playoffs start. Plus, the Bulls and Nets are two different teams.

Heat matchup better with the Pistons than you are giving us credit for, we play very good half court defense, and as long as we play OUR game offensively they wont find enough points to beat us

game one hasn't even started yet and already Miami is down 15.

Phinsome said:

Again...what a player does during the course of the season means little when you are trying to predict their actions against a team in a playoff series. The Heat's big men do not always play well against the Pistons. Shaq usually does. Haslem has put up 6.5 points per game this year against Detroit. He does not get the open 15 ft jumper which is really the only way he scores.

Phinsome said:
As to your unnecessary sarcasm: That wasn't an analysis, that was a quote. I'll try to denote that better next time.

Don't drop a stat on me with the unnecessarily dramatic statement "refute this (if you can)" and then, when I point out why the stat is of minimal relevance, get all uppity. You're giving an extremely small sample size a hell of a lot more importance than it deserves.

As to your substance: The playoffs are different than the regular season. The Nets went 3-1 against the Heat in the regular season and got crushed in the playoffs. So, yes, you can ignore the regular season. I know it's more complicated than the fact that the Pistons played crappy agaisnt the Cavs, but it can't be ignored.

You're right, the playoffs are different. But no, you cannot ignore the regular season. That's a pretty fair predictor of how a team will perform in the playoffs. Otherwise, we could just mix up the seeds 1-8, match them up at random and see what happens. Detroit played like *** for games 3-6, and the first half of 7, I'll be the first to admit that. But to base an argument solely on basketball that's been played in the last two weeks is to say that the team that won 64 games all of a sudden has turned into a weak basketball team. In fact, they're a much better team than they showed in the last series, and the argument that "they played poorly against Cleveland, so they're cooked" just doesn't carry a lot of weight.

Your tone speaks to the possibility that you are not a heat fan. If not, why the heck are you a Phin fan? :rolleyes:

Silly me. I forgot that the Phins, Marlins and Heat were a package deal. My bad.

I cant wait till the Pistons beat the Heat @#@. After seeing all of you Heat fans so confident because the Pistons had to win game 7 over the CAVS. Trust me on this one the Pistons will not play as bad as they did then.

1) Don't drop a stat on me with the unnecessarily dramatic statement "refute this (if you can)" and then, when I point out why the stat is of minimal relevance, get all uppity. You're giving an extremely small sample size a hell of a lot more importance than it deserves.

Sorry, I didn't realize there were a bunch of Pistons fans lurking. You admit to my point in your next paragraph.

2) You're right, the playoffs are different. But no, you cannot ignore the regular season.

As to the regular season, the Pistons were not as hot at the end. Over the last 40 games, the Heat and Pistons had the same record. So, you kind of can ignore the regular season. Especially, because like the little kid in airplane said to Kareem Abdul Jabbar, "My dad says that you only hustle during the playoffs." The Pistons hustled during the regular season, the Heat didn't.

3) That's a pretty fair predictor of how a team will perform in the playoffs. Otherwise, we could just mix up the seeds 1-8, match them up at random and see what happens. Detroit played like *** for games 3-6, and the first half of 7, I'll be the first to admit that. But to base an argument solely on basketball that's been played in the last two weeks is to say that the team that won 64 games all of a sudden has turned into a weak basketball team. In fact, they're a much better team than they showed in the last series, and the argument that "they played poorly against Cleveland, so they're cooked" just doesn't carry a lot of weight.

The fact is when everyone is playing just as hard as them, the competition is just as close. And I would also suggest that they may have wasted their best play on the regular season. The Heat certainly didn't do that.

4) Silly me. I forgot that the Phins, Marlins and Heat were a package deal. My bad.

No comment for fear of TOS violation.

MARINO1384 said:
actually he is a pretty good athlete. He also play very good defense along with rebounding and can be a very good scorer when he's playing with confidence.

I agree, but the haters will flame me. They think that he isn't gonna get his open jumpers. That would mean that Shaq and Wade won't draw a double team. :sidelol:

MARINO1384 said:

I feel the Pistons got their wakeup call. I think they started getting the mentallity that causes a lot of great teams to fade away. They started feeling they could turn it on at any time and I would have hoped they never developed this mentality after being a benefactor of it when they beat the Lakers for the Championship. I just feel they got their wake up call against the Cavs and you will now see the team from the regular season.

I don't get all this ''regular season means nothing'' talk.

Anyone that's played organized sports knows the difference between the regular season and the playoffs. The regular season is like heating up the woman before starting the fire. Once you're actually in the fire, the regular season can seem like a distant memory. But ask your woman how important that heating up was and she'll tell you it's what gotten you to the fire in the first place.

Same thing happens in sports, to neglect the regular season and discount it totally, is naive. When evaluating a team you need to look at what's gotten you to the big dance because it's usually an indicator of how you'll perform in the big dance. Of course, there are the occasional exceptions. Teams like the Ottawa Senators, or Atlanta Braves that bow out of the playoffs every April or October but usually the regular season is a fair indicator provided you look at the whole picture and not only wins and losses (which can be deceiving).

I'll give you a concrete example : I'm a big NHL fan. Toronto Maple Leafs fan. Before the NHL playoffs, I looked at every team's regular seasons trends and more specifically the Buffalo Sabres because FH is filled with Sabres fans so I wanted to see how solid their arguments were and I had to pick some players for my playoff pool. I found out the Sabres hadn't lost more than 4 games in a row ONCE this year. The more I looked at them, the more I found they were incredibly consistent when it came to bouncing back from losses. While I wouldn't want to jinx them, I proceeded to take a lot of Sabres players in my playoff pool because I was convinced they could do some damage in the playoffs. And that's what they're doing right now.

All the haters didnt seem to come out untill this series so :lol: @ that

Because even if Miami loses what does it prove? That your not scared to pick on the underdog? Not very impressive, where were you guys to talk about how Miami sucks during the Nets and Bulls series? I remember maybe 2 of you

Only team I dont think Miami matches up with well at all is Dallas, who unfortunatly we will have to play after this series

Back
Top Bottom