The Fall of the Miami Dolphins: Can They Rebuild with Current Group?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by DKphin, Feb 16, 2013.

1. DKphin

DKphin A True Fan Donator

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/...build-with-current-group/?maQ5bWQRuHuptKae.99

2. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

I made a promise not to live in the past....it's all in front of us.....> Go Dolphins, the march begins.

3. MarinoEqualsGod

MarinoEqualsGod The man, the myth, the legend

Ricky Williams, mediocre?!?

4. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I stopped reading at Ricky williams mediocre

5. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

What the crap is this guy smokin? Ricky had one of the best years for a running back in nfl history? Mediocre? Lost all credibility if he had any to begin with.

6. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

well i know it's not popular history but at the beginning of his career ronnie brown was a top5 back. Then the injury bug hit him, but i dont think he was mediocre.

7. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

rantsports... the site which makes bleacher report look professional.

8. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Ronnie Brown had brief flashes of being a top 5 back. He was never able to maintain it for even a season. He was a horrible pick at #2, though he does look better in comparison to the other running backs this team has drafted since 2005 (I'd take Ronnie Brown over Daniel Thomas any day of the week, but at least Thomas wasn't drafted at the top of the first round).

9. Mike Doherty

Mike Doherty Member

I completely agree with this statement. Ricky was a beast, heck I wish our Running backs now were as good as Ricky was.

10. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Would you say that Ricky had a great Dolphins career? I wouldn't.

He was a 'potential' phin from 2002-2010, and in those 9 years had two really noteworthy seasons (one amazing, one very good - 2002 and 2003). After that, when he was playing he was a solid guy. I think the article is just referencing his unreliability (missing 3 seasons) and the fact that his overall production probably didn't equal the four draft picks we paid for him (including 2 firsts). All things considered, I could see why the article would call his career mediocre.

11. dfinz77

dfinz77 Active Member

loved ricky, wish he would of not missed that season, set our franchise back

12. JDOE

JDOE Pro Bowl Kicker

Regardless of how well Miami did with Ricky on the team, he was still a premiere runningback. He was drafted high by the Saints and traded for a bevy of picks for a reason. It wasn't his fault we didn't have enough talent and good coaching around him. I only wish he played when Marino was playing. We went through somewhere around 15 runningbacks during Marino's tenure. Imagine Ricky in Marino's backfield.

13. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

Ricky Williams may have had his problems off the field, but he was by NO MEANS a mediocre player. Can they build on this current group? I'd say the fact that this group contended for a better part of the year under a rookie quarterback with no real playmakers at WR, and an "OK at best" offensive line, yes, I think it is safe to say we can build with this group.

14. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Lol we could have had ****ing Aaron Rodgers.

15. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

The fact that people are so hung up over Matt Ryan when we could have had Rodgers baffles me :idk: Injury aside Long has played liked a first overall pick, at the time Long over Ryan made sense but imagine what would have happened if we had taken Rodgers, Ryan is a good QB but Rodgers will go down as one of the best of all time when he retires.

16. insomnia411

insomnia411 The world is yours

Agreed. I guess you're just gonna have to take my word for it when it comes to this cuz I have no way of actually proving it, but I really thought Rodgers was the best player in that draft and I had no clue why San Fran liked Alex Smith better. Obviously we were one of many teams to pass on Rodgers but he has more than proved to everyone how stupid that was.

17. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

In retrospect both choices were mistakes. I dont agree that Long has played like the first overall pick because the last two years he hasnt, not even close. with all out cap space it would be an easy decision if he had played so well, there is no doubt that Atlanta will be keeping Ryan around for a long time. As for Rodgers very few people on this board were fascinated with Rodgers in that draft and I actually got in many arguements about Rodgers as our possible pick over a guy that wasnt even a full time starter in college. Both drafts illustrate that u dont take Rb's and OL over qb when u have a need for one.

18. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

We got a QB now. Lets get him a WR and a TE and an OT.

19. dirwuf

dirwuf Scout Team

The four most important people in an NFL franchise are the owner, GM, head coach and QB (not necessarily in that order). You need at least TWO of those to be top-notch for a team to be successful, and we really don't even have one. The best that can be said for any of ours is "The jury is still out"...

20. MBoogieman

MBoogieman Member

Not going anywhere for a while...Snickers lol

21. Adam Strange

Adam Strange Question Authority Finheaven VIP

Exactly-- just because the Long pick wasn't as egregiously wrong as the Brown pick doesn't mean that the Long pick was a good one. If he really were a Hall of Fame tackle as his supporters used to claim, then there'd be no doubt that he'd be resigned. The fact that the team is most likely going to let him walk, getting nothing in return, is a sure sign that it was foolish to spend the top pick on him.