The Marlins payroll.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Marlins payroll....

FinsNYanksFan13

Banned on Points
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=fla

Wow, this is not a shot at the Marlins, I'm just shocked their payroll is this low. The D-Rays have double their payroll. I thought things were bad in Florida, but I had no clue it was this bad for them. But hey, there's a ton of top prospects and young players on the team so that's a major plus!

I have little doubt this will ignite a firestorm of rants from Marlins fans, but there's no reason NOT to move Willis before the trade deadline. He's going to get really expensive soon, and that team isn't going anywhere for at least a couple years. Cabrera, at least, is still cheap, and has a couple years of arbitration, which will keep his salary down some. They could get a serious haul of prospects for Willis. The Mets, for example, would surely give up Pelfrey and Milledge for Willis, two first-class prospects. The Yankees would surely give up Hughes and...whoever else they've got in that farm system.

Both Willis & Cabrera will be gone for the 2007 season. So i cant see situation getting much better for the Marlins and this could ultimately end up with relocation for the Fish because Florida would never give a stadium deal to a team who doesn't even look like or appear to care that they wont compete for several seasons.

It's not a matter of being mad, Phil, it's just not true. Don't you think that if they were going to trade Willis, they would have done it last season under the guise of the "market correction", after he had come off of a 22-win year?

There's absolutely no reason to trade either of them. Even if they do move, they're going to receive an influx of money somewhere from a new park and will have plenty of assets to pay their players. If they move to San Antonio, they're going to need someone to market once they get there. If they stay here, they're going to want to have good players people know.

However, what we could get for guys like them is pretty sick. Let's say Boston wanted Willis? Let's start the bidding at Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, and whomever the best CF in the system is (Jacoby Ellsbury, is he the one?) LAA? Howie Kendrick, Brandon Wood, and Chone Figgins, come on down. And so on, so forth, with Cabrera as well.

Regardless, they're not trading either of them. The ownership may not want to win right now, but they do want to make money, and trading these guys won't do that.

Some of you are so wrong on this....

There is no reason to trade Willis or Cabrera....

Because they are gonna win the World Series....again.

in 2009...:wink:

I am actually excited for this team...

Very simple...

You have alot of good young players in Ramirez, Hermida, Willingham, Jacobs, Olsen, and Vargas...

You have two young STARS in Willis and Cabrera....

If you adjust salaries through 2009...you can expect a payroll of around 35 million...

So you then (in the winter of 2007 to 2008), add the veteran's you need to fill in the roster, and will have a payroll of around 65 to 70 million if you really go on a spending spree.

Poof..the Marlins will be contenders again.

The Key for this to happen of course..is a stadium deal.

Funny how you can actually contend with a payroll of 70 million when there are teams spending 200.

Section126 said:

Very simple...

You have alot of good young players in Ramirez, Hermida, Willingham, Jacobs, Olsen, and Vargas...

If you adjust salaries through 2009...you can expect a payroll of around 35 million...

So you then (in the winter of 2007 to 2008), add the veteran's you need to fill in the roster, and will have a payroll of around 65 to 70 million if you really go on a spending spree.

Funny how you can actually contend with a payroll of 70 million when there are teams spending 200.

Totally agree wat's not exciting knowing how young the whole team is and with the firesale how deep their farm system is! Giving these kids experience and a new owner/stadium/city might turn them into a dynasty

phunwin said:
The Mets, for example, would surely give up Pelfrey and Milledge for Willis, two first-class prospects.
The Mets would be out of their ******* minds to do that. Pelfrey and Milledge are both within a year of making it to the bigs. They have a chance to replace Floyd and gain youth, speed and a guy who has a very good chance to be an all star. Pelfrey will be an ace in his own right.

And before some of the past trades involving Mets prospects such as Burnett, Preston Wilson etc for Piazza, Leiter are brought up, remember that those prospects were drafted under a different regime. Our prospects the last few years have been panning out very well.

By all means this team should hang on to Pelfrey and Milledge.

Section126 said:

Very simple...

If the Yankees put all of that 200M to good use nobody would be close to them. But they blow it on crap and teams that spend 70M wisely can compete with them

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/salaries?team=fla

Wow, this is not a shot at the Marlins, I'm just shocked their payroll is this low. The D-Rays have double their payroll. I thought things were bad in Florida, but I had no clue it was this bad for them. But hey, there's a ton of top prospects and young players on the team so that's a major plus!

Wow! that is really low. The Yankees have 5 players that make more then that this year lol

MARINO1384 said:
Wow! that is really low. The Yankees have 5 players that make more then that this year lol
Thats all? i would have thought 7 or 8 Yankees a least made 14M this year.
A-Rod
Jeter
Randy Johnson
Mussina
Giambi
maybe Matsui?

Those just came to the top of my head. Maybe Mariano Rivera
What really sucks for the Marlins though is that they only have 2 player making a million dollars. Thats awful.

RWhitney014 said:
However, what we could get for guys like them is pretty sick. Let's say Boston wanted Willis? Let's start the bidding at Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, and whomever the best CF in the system is (Jacoby Ellsbury, is he the one?)

Willis is a top flight 1 starter... But there is now way the Sox are giving up are 4 best prospects, who are all very highly rated, for Willis.. We have moved on from this way of thinking, and with Papelbon throwing it like he is, his value is on the rise daily..

they are still fun to watch..and i'm prolly one of the few who will actually go see them this yr..smh at you all!

Boik14 said:
The Mets would be out of their ******* minds to do that. Pelfrey and Milledge are both within a year of making it to the bigs. They have a chance to replace Floyd and gain youth, speed and a guy who has a very good chance to be an all star. Pelfrey will be an ace in his own right.

And before some of the past trades involving Mets prospects such as Burnett, Preston Wilson etc for Piazza, Leiter are brought up, remember that those prospects were drafted under a different regime. Our prospects the last few years have been panning out very well.

By all means this team should hang on to Pelfrey and Milledge.

I would most certainly swap those two for Willis, especially this year. If the Mets added Dontrelle Willis, the rest of the NL East could pack it up and call it a season. Willis is 24 years old. It seems to me that the best case scenario for Pelfrey is what Willis is right now...and he's not much older. Are you 100% certain that Pelfrey will put up numbers like Willis? There is ALWAYS an element of risk with minor league pitchers, no matter how good they look. We all thought Bill Pulsipher would be a star. Oops.

It's one thing to say you wouldn't trade him for an older pitcher, because the older guy has fewer years ahead of him, but Pelfrey's, what, 22? In the big scheme of things, that's no different at this point from Willis, since there's no guarantee you'll get 2 extra years from Pelfrey.

RWhitney014 said:
It's not a matter of being mad, Phil, it's just not true. Don't you think that if they were going to trade Willis, they would have done it last season under the guise of the "market correction", after he had come off of a 22-win year?

There's absolutely no reason to trade either of them. Even if they do move, they're going to receive an influx of money somewhere from a new park and will have plenty of assets to pay their players. If they move to San Antonio, they're going to need someone to market once they get there. If they stay here, they're going to want to have good players people know.

Well, I think it's an issue if "when", not "if", they move, but that's besides the point.

I've always been lousy with how MLB salaries work, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe both Cabrera and Willis hit arbitration after this year, as both are entering their 4th year of MLB service, thus making them arb eligible. I would think that the most conservative estimate is $8M per year for each. Suddenly, that $14M payroll jumps to $26M. Figure there will be a few other guys getting modest raises, along with a low-budget free agent signing or two to fill a hole, and sudenly that neat little $14M payroll has gone north of $30M. Maybe as much as $35M. You guys really think the cheapskates running the franchise are going to go for that? I sure don't.

However, what we could get for guys like them is pretty sick. Let's say Boston wanted Willis? Let's start the bidding at Lester, Papelbon, Pedroia, and whomever the best CF in the system is (Jacoby Ellsbury, is he the one?) LAA? Howie Kendrick, Brandon Wood, and Chone Figgins, come on down. And so on, so forth, with Cabrera as well.

Florida could pretty much name their price for either player. I will never understand the whole "we'll never give up our beloved young pitcher!" thinking. What percentage of minor league pitching prospects actually hit their ceiling in the majors? It's got to be under 50%. Why the Red Sox would hesitate for a second to give up Lester and Papelbon for Willis is entirely beyond me. And in fact, GreenMonster's protestations aside, I don't think they would. It's one thing to resist giving up a prospect for an older player, but a 24 year old who had a Cy Young calibre season last year?

Back
Top Bottom