The Marlins payroll.... | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Marlins payroll....

nyjunc said:
and they are getting a piece of george's money through rev sharing which of course they don't spend on players. I think Cincy used their rev sharing dollars to build their new Stadium while george for years wanted a new Stadium and couldn't get one cincy was building one w/ his money.

No, Cincy used their revenue sharing to enlarge the cup holders in the new stadium. Very important.:shakeno:

The KC owner just put it in his pocket, then when Selig called him to talk to him about it, he wouldn't take the phone call from Bud.

nyjunc said:
Many of the smaller amrket owners are not only richer than George but make more money w/ their teams than george does. george puts his $ back into the team while these other whining owners put it in their pockets. It's the small market, whining owners who are the problem not George.

Not to mention I think the Twins owner is the richest in all of baseball. Yet he's small market??

And how is a team like Detroit BIG MARKET in hockey, yet small market in baseball?

MikeO said:
No, Cincy used their revenue sharing to enlarge the cup holders in the new stadium. Very important.:shakeno:

The KC owner just put it in his pocket, then when Selig called him to talk to him about it, he wouldn't take the phone call from Bud.

from what I rmember Cincy did use a chunk of that money towards their Stadium, I may be wrong but that's the wy it came out in the press a few years ago.

Prime Time said:
Yeah but after there one year run most of the teams are screwed and have to give away their good players. They can't keep their stars. Yankees every year can sign virtually whoever they want. Is that fair? No. Yankees make the playoffs every year. And Baseball has limited playoff teams as it is. Boston and NY are locks to win the division. Meaning the other 3 teams in the division are fighting for ONE Wild Card Spot with the rest of the AL (and NY or Boston...). Is that equal? No. Sorry man, Baseball may be on a roll of having diff. champs, but that will not last.

Every October you see..Atlanta, New York, Boston. That leaves 5 spots for the rest of the league to reach the playoffs on their payrolls...It just isn't fair. Level the playing field. If there was a Cap..Marlins would still fairly be a good team. They would have been able to keep guys such as Derrek Lee, Juan Pierre, Luis Castillo, Josh Beckett, Carl Pavano, Brad Penny. etc. The only two guys remaining from the championship team are Cabs and the D-Train...yeah..thats REALLY fair.

Sorry, PT, I have to agree with Mike on this one. First of all, Atlanta is always in the playoffs because they've won the division 15 times in a row, and not all of those teams were All-Star teams. Second of all, as Mike is saying, a cap wouldn't make cheap teams spend more, it would simply make not-cheap teams spend less.

To look at Florida's individual moves, they traded Penny not to save money but because they needed a catcher and reliever badly in 2004 to go for the playoffs, and Lo Duca and Mota were available. Pavano hasn't exactly been a star with NY. Beckett was traded so as to be able to get rid of Lowell's albatross contract and to actually get someone (in this case, 4 someones) legitimate from Boston.

I'd just like to see average players get average salaries. It's ridiculous when a team like Oakland has to shell out 7 million per annum for three years to land...Esteban Loaiza. Keep in mind, Kevin Brown's 7 year, $92 million dollar contract was landmark when he signed it in 1998. (I think that's what it was). Only an ace, franchise starter could get that. Now career-.500 with TJ surgery behind him A.J. Burnett is approaching that annual value, just for a shorter term. To me, that's not good.

Just give it a few years and there will be plenty of small market teams making runs at the world series. Brewers, Tigers, As, and Padres, all have great pitching. Even the nationals have a superstud pitcher, and a good pitcher in Livan. So the marlins are nothing special. BUt my point is, you dont have to have have a huge payroll and sign all the stars to be a good team. Look at Patterson, he makes less than some peoples parents at my school.

And what determines a small market or big market? If you ask me, it all depends on how much you win. If you win, fans go to games, people get excited, market = big. If you lose, fans arent excited, = small market.
Thus detroit tigers are a small market team, and in hockey and basketball they are big markets.

I might have no point in my post, and it might be totally irrelevant to this topic, but thats just whats on my mind, lol.

Between revenue sharing and tv contracts ect each team gets between 50-60 million dollars before even selling a single ticket is what I heard the other day. How a team can justify not spending close to that much on its players is beyond me.

DonShula84 said:
Between revenue sharing and tv contracts ect each team gets between 50-60 million dollars before even selling a single ticket is what I heard the other day. How a team can justify not spending close to that much on its players is beyond me.

Exactly

The Highest paid player in the league almost doubles the Salary Cap of the Marlins. Something is seriously wrong with baseball and I had a thought the other day isn't there meetings coming up about a salary cap soon. Is Florida Marlins going to try and be the team to create attention and possibly somehow the league spin it that its important for salary cap and **** like that!

Back
Top Bottom