The Miami Dolphins are setting Ryan Tannehill up for failure

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SCLSU Mud Dogs, Dec 11, 2012.

1. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1441736-miami-dolphins-ryan-tannehill-is-being-set-up-for-failure

2. MiamiDolfan85

MiamiDolfan85 DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

Our WR's suck....this much is clear

3. sporting1972

sporting1972 Active Member

i am no expert but to play QB in this league against the best defenses with no running game, no wide receivers and a suspect offensive line and no TE's what do people expect from Tanehill, miracals? :crazy:

bring in any QB in the league and i would like to see how he would do with this peace of **** offense that we have!:rolleyes2:

4. AZStryker

AZStryker Pro Bowler

It's all play design. It is absolutely criminal how they have gone out of their way to under utilize Reggie Bush. He should have at least twice the receptions he has now. When was the last time we ran a screen or created a mismatch with him running a wheel route on a LB??? Even if we get weapons this off season, I have no faith Sherman will find ways to use them properly. He's too focused on running his offense regardless of what pieces he actually has.

5. TX-FinFan

TX-FinFan Seasoned Veteran

They need to get Reggie more touches period. He sure won't ever lead the league in rushing with 10-14 carries a game. I don't understand why they go away from him when he is putting up 4.5ypc.

6. ANUFan

ANUFan A True Fan Donator

Clearly OP you haven't listened to Mike Mayock Interview with Joe Rose today. He had a very different opinion that what your suggesting and I agree with him!

7. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

All I ask from Tannehill is to let it loose in the remaining games of the season. I don't care if he throws 4 INT's per game, throw the ball with confidence and don't be afraid of the result. I want to see an effort like the one against the Cardinals. Don't leave anything back from now on, just show us something.

8. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

I just wrote this in another thread and here's what I'm wondering:

Why aren't they calling more bootlegs? More rollouts? More plays that take advantage of his legs? Why not more screen passes to Reggie Bush? Maybe a screen pass to Marlon Moore or even Marcus Thigpen?

Is Mike Sherman doing this on purpose because the team is prioritizing the development of Ryan Tannehill as an NFL caliber QB over winning football games? Or is Sherman just that daft?

9. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

Looking at your sig here, werent you defending ireland the other day?

10. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Not to my knowledge. For a long time my position has been that Jeff Ireland has done a bad job, but that since he's the General Manager and we're stuck with him, I can at least hope for him to get better rather than hoping that the team falls flat on its face and hope that results in him getting fired.

Not all of his moves have been terrible, and when he makes a good move I will give him credit, but his record in free agency is indefensible.

11. SCLSU Mud Dogs

SCLSU Mud Dogs foos-ball is the devil! Donator

Zero team speed. That has to change.

12. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

Marshall was traded before he was even drafted. With no plan to replace a WR that talented, they pretty much set him up for failure before the season started, and most fans on this site were smart enough to realize that - EXCEPT the crowd that kept chanting the mantra that Joe Philbin's offense magically doesn't need any stud receivers.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

What's even more sad, is that JI hasn't been able to draft a playmaker at the WR position to save his life, I don't see him suddenly having an epiphany and figuring it out after half a decade of drafting.

I should also mention the point of this post wasn't to ***** about the fact that Marshall is gone, although it has continued to eat away at me since they announced the trade, and that was before we drafted Egnew with one of those picks.

13. slickrickpuppy

slickrickpuppy Banned Hammered

i was watching hartline he barely gets open..

14. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Tannehill is running a WCO. What does a WCO need?

Receivers with physicality, burst and separation to get to the ball first on those short to medium routes.
    Receivers with YAC ability to turn the short pass into the long gain.
    Receivers who can deliver in the redzone.
    At lease one receiver with deep speed to keep the defense from compressing.

Does that sound like Hartline to you? Or Bess? Or any of the other receivers to be honest? Ordinarily, I'd be in favour of cutting all our receiver bar Bess and building a whole new offense that is custom-made for the WCO and for Tannehill.

Except of course, for one glaring problem.

The cap? NO
    Other holes in the team? NO
    Unavailability of players who fit? NO

I'll tell you my problem with wholesale change. This offense under Sherman and O'Keefe has so far failed to introduce one new offensive player successfully in the rotation. Nannee - failed. Cunningham - failed. Armstrong - failed. Fuller - failed. Gaffney - failed. Matthews - extremely limited. Egnew - failed. Clay - limited. Miller - limited. Lane - limited and declining.

These players are not all scrubs. The wideouts among those players are pushing against the most open WR door in the NFL. And yet none of them can function as a vaguely effective Y Receiver or rotational guy in the team on gameday?

Ken O'Keefe has already failed, imo. He's only a few months into the job and he can't get one decent WR on the field to help Tannehill. Sherman has to be examining his conscience about this problem too.

So, yea, Tannehill needs help. Yea, we should probably rebuild our WR corps. Yea, Ireland needs to up his game to find explosive talent. But will any of this talent actually see the field or is our coaching unable to get players prepared for gameday? Is our offensive system, which a college freshman like Johnny Manziel can pick up and run, (which a receiver on our own books - Jeff Fuller - can obviously run) so dense and impenetrable that it takes a decade to learn the dark arts?

I don't get it and I worry that we'll stock up on WR talent this year, then watch it wither on the vine under O'Keefe and Sherman.

Gonzo likes this.
  15. ucfphinfan12

ucfphinfan12 Banned Hammered

What did Mike Mayock have to say, I'm interested in listening to what he has to say. Also, I see a few people post the initials "OP", what does OP mean?

-ucfpf13

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i don't buy any of this setting up for failure stuff...the cream will rise

now they may be slowing down that rise with what they have put around him but tannehill will be fine...like i said give it 2 years...this kids gonna be money

17. JCane

JCane Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Respectfully disagree.

The Miami Dolphins ARE failure.

Ryan Tannehill is setting them up for success.

18. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

This is a crazy statement. The elite QBs are capable of going through their progressions. Brady, Peyton, and others go through their progressions. They would definitely be hampered by the lack of talent, but they would do better.

19. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

You pose interesting questions, but I do not see how any of us can answer them with any credibility.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:27 AM ----------

Wow! That is a very optimistic statement.

20. Avigatorx

Avigatorx Sec. 107 Row 2

OP means Original Post (or Poster.)

21. Hooligan

Hooligan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

The past two games indicate that the power to audible has been taken away from Tannehill, not that he was ever very good at it anyway but, that suggests that the coaches don't have as much confidence in Tanny's ability to read the defense and change the play at the line. Not a good sign.

22. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

Considering that Tannyhill audibles quite often and actully audibled out of a QB draw to the play where he threw the TD pass to Fasano, which was talked about extensivley both in the post game interview as well as on Finheaven, you my fellow poster don't know what you are talking about.