The Miami Dolphins are setting Ryan Tannehill up for failure | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Miami Dolphins are setting Ryan Tannehill up for failure

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1441736-miami-dolphins-ryan-tannehill-is-being-set-up-for-failure

Miami's two leading receivers, Hartline and Bess, combine for 60% of the entire passing offense. Seattle's top-two receivers. Tate and Rice, combine for 44% of the passing offense. Let's look at more of the rookies and see how the numbers stack up.

The Colts' two leading receivers, Reggie Wayne and Donnie Avery, account for 51% of the passing offense.

Santana Moss and Leonard Hankerson of the Redskins? Just 31%.
Brandon Weeden's two leading receivers, Josh Gordon and Greg Little, account for 41%.
On a good note, both of Miami's top receivers have the opportunity to surpass 1,000 with three games remaining on the season. On the other hand, this is a startling number.

i am no expert but to play QB in this league against the best defenses with no running game, no wide receivers and a suspect offensive line and no TE's what do people expect from Tanehill, miracals? :crazy:

bring in any QB in the league and i would like to see how he would do with this peace of **** offense that we have!:rolleyes2:

It's all play design. It is absolutely criminal how they have gone out of their way to under utilize Reggie Bush. He should have at least twice the receptions he has now. When was the last time we ran a screen or created a mismatch with him running a wheel route on a LB??? Even if we get weapons this off season, I have no faith Sherman will find ways to use them properly. He's too focused on running his offense regardless of what pieces he actually has.

They need to get Reggie more touches period. He sure won't ever lead the league in rushing with 10-14 carries a game. I don't understand why they go away from him when he is putting up 4.5ypc.

Clearly OP you haven't listened to Mike Mayock Interview with Joe Rose today. He had a very different opinion that what your suggesting and I agree with him!

All I ask from Tannehill is to let it loose in the remaining games of the season. I don't care if he throws 4 INT's per game, throw the ball with confidence and don't be afraid of the result. I want to see an effort like the one against the Cardinals. Don't leave anything back from now on, just show us something.

I just wrote this in another thread and here's what I'm wondering:

Why aren't they calling more bootlegs? More rollouts? More plays that take advantage of his legs? Why not more screen passes to Reggie Bush? Maybe a screen pass to Marlon Moore or even Marcus Thigpen?

Is Mike Sherman doing this on purpose because the team is prioritizing the development of Ryan Tannehill as an NFL caliber QB over winning football games? Or is Sherman just that daft?

I just wrote this in another thread and here's what I'm wondering:

Why aren't they calling more bootlegs? More rollouts? More plays that take advantage of his legs? Why not more screen passes to Reggie Bush? Maybe a screen pass to Marlon Moore or even Marcus Thigpen?

Is Mike Sherman doing this on purpose because the team is prioritizing the development of Ryan Tannehill as an NFL caliber QB over winning football games? Or is Sherman just that daft?

Looking at your sig here, werent you defending ireland the other day?

Looking at your sig here, werent you defending ireland the other day?

Not to my knowledge. For a long time my position has been that Jeff Ireland has done a bad job, but that since he's the General Manager and we're stuck with him, I can at least hope for him to get better rather than hoping that the team falls flat on its face and hope that results in him getting fired.

Not all of his moves have been terrible, and when he makes a good move I will give him credit, but his record in free agency is indefensible.

Marshall was traded before he was even drafted. With no plan to replace a WR that talented, they pretty much set him up for failure before the season started, and most fans on this site were smart enough to realize that - EXCEPT the crowd that kept chanting the mantra that Joe Philbin's offense magically doesn't need any stud receivers.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 AM ----------

What's even more sad, is that JI hasn't been able to draft a playmaker at the WR position to save his life, I don't see him suddenly having an epiphany and figuring it out after half a decade of drafting.

I should also mention the point of this post wasn't to bitch about the fact that Marshall is gone, although it has continued to eat away at me since they announced the trade, and that was before we drafted Egnew with one of those picks.

Tannehill is running a WCO. What does a WCO need?

Receivers with physicality, burst and separation to get to the ball first on those short to medium routes.
Receivers with YAC ability to turn the short pass into the long gain.
Receivers who can deliver in the redzone.
At lease one receiver with deep speed to keep the defense from compressing.

Does that sound like Hartline to you? Or Bess? Or any of the other receivers to be honest? Ordinarily, I'd be in favour of cutting all our receiver bar Bess and building a whole new offense that is custom-made for the WCO and for Tannehill.

Except of course, for one glaring problem.

The cap? NO
Other holes in the team? NO
Unavailability of players who fit? NO

I'll tell you my problem with wholesale change. This offense under Sherman and O'Keefe has so far failed to introduce one new offensive player successfully in the rotation. Nannee - failed. Cunningham - failed. Armstrong - failed. Fuller - failed. Gaffney - failed. Matthews - extremely limited. Egnew - failed. Clay - limited. Miller - limited. Lane - limited and declining.

These players are not all scrubs. The wideouts among those players are pushing against the most open WR door in the NFL. And yet none of them can function as a vaguely effective Y Receiver or rotational guy in the team on gameday?

Ken O'Keefe has already failed, imo. He's only a few months into the job and he can't get one decent WR on the field to help Tannehill. Sherman has to be examining his conscience about this problem too.

So, yea, Tannehill needs help. Yea, we should probably rebuild our WR corps. Yea, Ireland needs to up his game to find explosive talent. But will any of this talent actually see the field or is our coaching unable to get players prepared for gameday? Is our offensive system, which a college freshman like Johnny Manziel can pick up and run, (which a receiver on our own books - Jeff Fuller - can obviously run) so dense and impenetrable that it takes a decade to learn the dark arts?

I don't get it and I worry that we'll stock up on WR talent this year, then watch it wither on the vine under O'Keefe and Sherman.

Clearly OP you haven't listened to Mike Mayock Interview with Joe Rose today. He had a very different opinion that what your suggesting and I agree with him!

What did Mike Mayock have to say, I'm interested in listening to what he has to say. Also, I see a few people post the initials "OP", what does OP mean?

-ucfpf13

Back
Top Bottom