The more things change, the more they stay the same. | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

With all due respect to the OP....Wannstedt inherited a playoff team (3 years running) and ran it into the ground...just as he destroyed the Bears...so he gets no respect from me.

Jay Fiedler was a caretaker riding a top 5 defense and solid running game....he would lose games that really mattered.

I like our current situation much better.

No argument about Wannstedt and personnel decisions but he did win more games than JJ. He should never had personnel responsibility. I really think 2002 was the year until Fiedler got hurt. Ray Lucas killed that season.

I will never forgive JJ for screwing over Marino and disrespecting Shula. Despite the reputation for being a personnel wiz, JJ left the team devoid of talent on offense. JJ and Saban are my least favorite Dolphin HCs of all time. Partly because of the hoopla surrounding them, and partly for how they screwed the team over.

I liked Jimmy Johnson very much and I think he knew how to draft and had real football knowledge but he set a 3 year timetable on himself. And we all thought that made sense. In retrospect, you look back and years turn into decades, then extending a GOOD coach past his 3rd year doesn't seem so terrible.

You need a solid foundation, a good owner and great coaches, and someone who knows how to draft, including drafting a quarterback.

We're so used to lowering the bar for this team. We are. We'll say,.. ok that's a nice player. We never ask ourselves, are we getting a great player? Do we want pro bowl players? These scouts get all excited over acorns...fine, but if you're not hitting on the top rounds and getting some playmakers, and you're not retaining talent on your team when FA arrives, then you're screwed. That's what managing a football team is about.

I find it hard to hate Jimmy Johnson.

Although I despise the way he treated Marino and the cruddy offensive talent he left on his way out, at least he drafted some great defensive players. I appreciate the fact that when his heart wasn't in it anymore, he walked away. I don't blame him for coming back after Wayne begged him to reconsider. Wayne kinda has that effect on people.

But what Wannstedt did to Marino was worse, he drafted worse players, he traded away future draft picks for garbage, and he left the team in cap hell.

I don't blame JJ for recommending Wanny to Wayne. Recommending your friend/lieutenant to succeed you on the way out is just good manners. I blame Wayne for hiring him.

groundhogday2o-1.gif

---------- Post added at 01:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 AM ----------

What did we trade for David Boston? Or was he picked up in fa

I think we got him for a low pick a year after flaming out in SD as a huge free agent pickup.

Back
Top Bottom