The Most Productive and Efficient Pure Pass Rushers in the NFL | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Most Productive and Efficient Pure Pass Rushers in the NFL

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
I track how pass rushers are doing across the NFL. Some of you who follow me on Twitter probably hear me talking about Cameron Wake and Koa Misi a lot and how they're looking relative to other pass rushers.

One thing I like to do is award points for sacks (3), hits (2), pressures (1) and batted passes (2). I think of all of those as encompassing what it means to be a good pure pass rusher. Sacks are probably the best plays you can make. You get a hit on the QB (which is always good, like a body blow in a boxing match), you turn the play into a failure, plus the other team loses yardage. I think hits are very important too. Quarterbacks that get hit often throw errant balls which can be picked off. A batted pass to me is just as well, if you managed to get into the passing lane and get your hands up, you not only kill the play dead but you've dramatically increased your chances of a popped up interception off the batted ball. That's why I award those two (hits and batted passes) the same. Finally is the pressure. Getting pressure on a QB forces him to acknowledge you and takes his mind off the field. He may scramble away from you but it dramatically increases your chances of an incomplete, a sack once he resets, or even an interception.

So anyway, it's simple. What I like to do after I award the points is see who is the most efficient. Last year, by points alone, you'd never know that Cameron Wake was about to set the league on fire, unless you really tracked efficiency. It was the fact that he was affecting the QB once every 4.1 times he rushed the passer, which is absurdly effective, that helped tell us (in addition to our eyes) that this guy is something special.

On the left you'll find the most productive from among pass rushers that have rushed the passer 100+ times. On the right the most efficient, from among pass rushers that have rushed the passer 100+ times. The points per pass rush are multiplied by 100 for ease of reading.

You'll notice that Cameron Wake is very close to the most efficient pass rusher in the NFL. The most efficient is actually Tamba Hali, who terrorized Ryan Clady a year ago. Hali was one of the most efficient and productive pass rushers a year ago as well.

But check out who occupies the 5th and 6th most efficient pass rush spots in the NFL. Sometimes, things are just weird. The Dolphins ditch a 3-4 OLB because of (insert mysterious issue here) and draft a guy in his place, the guy they ditched goes bonkers in pass rush efficiency but the guy who replaces him is already one of the most efficient and productive pure pass rushers as a rookie. This Cam Wake/Koa Misi tandem is going to be a lot like James Harrison and Lamarr Woodley up in Pittsburgh. Very similar. Harrison was late to the party, had to scrape his way up the ladder and broke out at about the same age Wake did. In comes rookie Woodley opposite him and Woodley tears it up in his first year. Now they're one of the best tandems out there. Wake and Misi, in time, will be as well.

passrushproduction-1.jpg
passrushefficiency-1.jpg

Nice read! I also love how Jason Taylor and Joey Porter are right near each other towards the bottom on both charts.. anyone still wanting them here?

How about factoring how many time a guy is held. Holding calls can change the game almost as much as a sack. Seems like Wake gets held alot! Just curious how the holding calls on wake compare to the other guys on the list. Great stuff though, very informative.

Been asked about holding, false starts, etc. I have no way to track that stuff unfortunately.

You know what's messed up?

If you voted for Koa Misi for the Pro Bowl, you wouldn't be RIDICULOUSLY homerific. You could just be recognizing that Tamba Hali, Cameron Wake, Matt Roth and Koa Misi are the most efficient pass rushers in the AFC.

Now I have, of course, emphasized the upside.

The downside of this is, Matt Roth is 100% a better player than Koa Misi this year, and not only that but he's one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL. And that's for really real. He's made plays in coverage, he's as good against the run as you'd imagine, and he's making all kinds of noise as a pass rusher.

And so this is where reality strikes. If Miami had simply kept Roth, they could have exercised the #12 pick on someone like Dez Bryant, and Miami would have Matt Roth and Dez Bryant rather than Jared Odrick and Koa Misi.

And THAT hurts. Right now, anyway. I'm not going to say something stupid like Koa Misi will definitely be better than Matt Roth one day because we can't predict the future. Nor am I going to pretend that Jared Odrick sucks though, because I was very impressed with him before he went out. It is what it is.

How interesting it is that Matt Roth is near the top in efficiency as well. I find the handling of the Roth situation as well as Will Allen two of the most curious moves this regime has made, and I'm still wanting a good explanation on both.

How interesting it is that Matt Roth is near the top in efficiency as well. I find the handling of the Roth situation as well as Will Allen two of the most curious moves this regime has made, and I'm still wanting a good explanation on both.

You and me both brother

The downside of this is, Matt Roth is 100% a better player than Koa Misi this year, and not only that but he's one of the best 3-4 OLBs in the NFL. And that's for really real. He's made plays in coverage, he's as good against the run as you'd imagine, and he's making all kinds of noise as a pass rusher.

And so this is where reality strikes. If Miami had simply kept Roth, they could have exercised the #12 pick on someone like Dez Bryant, and Miami would have Matt Roth and Dez Bryant rather than Jared Odrick and Koa Misi.

And THAT hurts. Right now, anyway. I'm not going to say something stupid like Koa Misi will definitely be better than Matt Roth one day because we can't predict the future. Nor am I going to pretend that Jared Odrick sucks though, because I was very impressed with him before he went out. It is what it is.

:bobdole: That's a sad thought. Didn't Matt Roth miss like 6 games last year due to injury?

I remember being pretty mad when we cut him and most everyone was saying that he sucked...He was VERY underrated during his time here. Still blows my mind that we released him for NOTHING with nobody even there to replace him.

LaMarr Woodley entire rookie season: 14 tackles 4.0 sacks
Koa Misi: 14 tackles 4.0 sacks

awesome...somebody please please please tell omar this so he can stop saying we need another pass rusher opposite Wake

I don't get it.

"On the left you'll find the most productive from among pass rushers that have rushed the passer 100+ times. On the right the most efficient, from among pass rushers that have rushed the passer 100+ times. The points per pass rush are multiplied by 100 for ease of reading."

How do you define the bolded terms?

Because the 3 columns of numbers in both these charts are exactly the same for each player and I don't see what is creating the different ranking (layout on my screen is not left/right but one above the other also, did something get cutoff which might explain things?).

Back
Top Bottom