The Offense | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Offense

Center Mike Pouncey continues to have his worst season as a pro in run-blocking, per PFF. His grade for the game was 29.2 and for the season it is 40.3 which ranks 35 out of 37 qualifying centers in run-blocking.

(The Dolphins believe this grade is bogus because they've previously been asking Pouncey to carry out blocks most humans cannot execute. That was supposed to change this week.)
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article183151341.html

The comment by Armando in parenthesis is disturbing on a few levels. First, why are we asking Pouncey to making humanly impossible blocks? Why would you scheme something like that when he has a history of missing games? What happens when he gets injured? Second, it reiterates something I've been hammering on for a while. This front office is in denial about it's offensive line...constantly making excuses but never realizing they're just not good enough. It's why they continue to ignore the problem and blame other factors. It's the reason they though Dallas Thomas was fine but just needed to get in the weight room. Its an epic failure from the top down on proper evaluation and self awareness concerning the offensive line.

green bays o yesterday minus the 2 minute stuff looked eerily similar to the stuff we were running the other night...exception being that they are doing it with a 2nd year qb they don't trust and we are with a 34 year old one

lots of teams done in by qb play/attrition this season

What we need is a Brandon scherf... a nasty disposition high level athlete that sets a tone on tbe o line...of course that cost you a top 10 pick

But we could have Dallas oline and the qb play and current rb room wouldn’t get it done consistently.

Defense is playing more mid level at best of late too
I agree with you Hoops on our defense, where did this notion come from that we are set on defense?
We need to draft a FS next year....desperately. Jones and Timmons cannot cover TEs, not on their best day.
Our LB unit needs an upgrade, Maualuga and Timmons are not long term answers and Kiko Alonzo still sucks.......we need to be grooming a couple of young studs (yes....including Raekwon McMillan) to replace them after next season.
Cameron Wake is finally showing his age and Andre Branch ain't worth a damn.
Our CBs are still young, but opposing QBs are eating us alive...102.6 passer rating against us is mind boggling.

First of all the money involved in getting 5 free agent O-lineman would be too much...second, have you not been paying attention? They have signed free agent O-lineman...what is Bushrod? Ted Larsen, Brandon Albert, etc, etc. They haven't exactly hit in free agency either...the guys doing the evaluations of O-lineman don't know what they're doing...draft or free agency it makes no difference. Fire the front office, from Tannenbaum down. Clean house and get some people in there that know what the freak they're looking at.
Ok, let me explain what I meant. I didn't mean to use free agency on 5 linemen. All we needed was two guards and I mean two top guards. The OT's we already had and then draft a center. Guards in the draft are hard to hit on. I agree with you that we got some free agents but those were the wrong guys. Other than Albert, everyone here knew the others were a mistake so I agree that the FO sucks and I'd be happy with all of them gone

Ozzy rules!!~

Cutler seems to play better when the game is out of reach. Wonder why that is? As if we didn't know. **** these garbage time scores, making things look competitive, this game was over in the 3rd, when we failed to score multiple 6's. BTW, any NFL team will trade FG's for TD's like we have grown accustom too.

The lack of a deep game is due to Cutler's inability to throw deep with any accuracy. That, and for some reason Cutler and Stills have 0 chemistry together. It's ironic that Stills is invisible at the beginning of the season, puts up big numbers when Cutler is out, and back to being invisible when Cutler returns.

Having said that, the offense wasn't the issue last night. 310 yds in the air, 90 on the ground, and Cutler had 3 TD's for a rating of 121.3.

The issue was the pass defense. Little to no pressure on Carr, every 3rd down was given up to a completed pass except is OAKs receivers dropped it. Our secondary got beat consistently over and over. If we could have just had an occasional 3rd down stop, we would have won the game.

No No No. Don't be fooled by numbers man. The last time i checked, Yards in the air and on the ground don't win games. The fact is that they only mustered 16 points when the game was in reach. The defense made a play (Suh Strip) to put us in position to take the lead and we couldn't score.

2007 - 2nd round OC Samson Satele, 4th round OC Drew Mormino
2008 - 1st round (1st overall) OT Jake Long, 4th round OG Shawn Murphy, 6th round Donald Thomas
2009 - 6th round OT Andrew Gardner
2010 - 3rd round OG John Jerry
2011 - 1st round (15th overall) OC Mike Pouncey
2012 - 2nd round OT Jonathan Martin
2013 - 3rd round OG Dallas Thomas
2014 - 1st round (19th overall) OT Ja'Wuan James, 3rd round OT Billy Turner
2015 - 4th round OG Jamil Douglas
2016 - 1st round (13th overall) OT Laremy Tunsil
2017 - 5th round OG Isaac Asiata

In the Coulda Shoulda Woulda file.....

2011 - 55 overall Rodney Hudson
2012 - 60 overall Kelechi Osemele
2013 - 109 o/a David Bakhtiari
2014 - 35 o/a Joel Bitonio
2015 - 131 o/a Shaquille Mason

I read some place that Asiata is working on his strength and his techniques. In College he was the strongest, in the NFL he's just another strong guy. Word on the kid is that he'll do whatever it takes to get there. He probably needs a red shirt year and a full pre season under his belt. I'll bet he's in the fight for a starting job next year.

In the Coulda Shoulda Woulda file.....

2011 - 55 overall Rodney Hudson
2012 - 60 overall Kelechi Osemele
2013 - 109 o/a David Bakhtiari
2014 - 35 o/a Joel Bitonio
2015 - 131 o/a Shaquille Mason

The worst one of that nature is the trade back for Jared Odrick, which could've been Earl Thomas.

Imagine the improvement in the pass defense if Earl Thomas were patrolling the defensive backfield this year.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article183151341.html

The comment by Armando in parenthesis is disturbing on a few levels. First, why are we asking Pouncey to making humanly impossible blocks? Why would you scheme something like that when he has a history of missing games? What happens when he gets injured? Second, it reiterates something I've been hammering on for a while. This front office is in denial about it's offensive line...constantly making excuses but never realizing they're just not good enough. It's why they continue to ignore the problem and blame other factors. It's the reason they though Dallas Thomas was fine but just needed to get in the weight room. Its an epic failure from the top down on proper evaluation and self awareness concerning the offensive line.

Armando totally blew it there in terms of the overall thrust of the article. The pass defense surrendered a YPA of 10 to the Raiders, and the pass offense had a YPA of only 7.4 of its own. Under those conditions a team never wins. It's happened zero times in 30 NFL games of that kind this year. In terms of causing the loss, the mistakes on offense he focused on were secondary to that.

Back
Top Bottom