The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 42 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Nice to see Valentin find his bat.

We really need to figure this whole RISP thing out. Our LOB numbers are embarrassing.

finswin56 said:
Nice to see Valentin find his bat.

We really need to figure this whole RISP thing out. Our LOB numbers are embarrassing.

Personally, on a list of things that concern me, that's near the bottom. I don't worship at the altar of the Almighty Clutch Hitter. If guys are hitting, like the Mets, then it's merely a matter of time before more runners are driven in.

Roman529 said:
Let me ask you Met's fans a question. I hear rumors that Bobby Abreu might be traded sometime before the trade deadline. Would you guys be willing to trade your 3rd Baseman Wright for Abreu? That would be a win-win deal for both sides. The Mets could use a guy like Abreu who scores tons of runs, high on-base percentage, 100+ walks, 100+ RBIs, 30+ HRs, good arm. The Phillies have not had a decent 3B since Scott Rolen and David Bell is pretty average. I think the Phillies want to get Victorino into the outfield to go along with Burrell and Rowand. Abreu lives in New York City so I am sure it would be a place he would want to play. I also heard that Abreu could be traded for a starting lefthanded pitcher like Zito of the Oakland A's.

If you set aside the fact that Abreu makes something like $14M this year and next year, and the fact that he's a decade older, and the fact that he plays a less valuable position, and the fact that the Mets outfield is already pretty crowded as is, and the fact that Wright is a huge, huh-YUGE hit in New York to the point that Mets fans look at him as "Our Jeter"...then yeah, it's a pretty even deal.

phunwin said:
Personally, on a list of things that concern me, that's near the bottom. I don't worship at the altar of the Almighty Clutch Hitter. If guys are hitting, like the Mets, then it's merely a matter of time before more runners are driven in.
No, I'm not much on that either. It's just alarming how horribly consistent we've been over the past 2-3 weeks at leaving runners on.

finswin56 said:
No, I'm not much on that either. It's just alarming how horribly consistent we've been over the past 2-3 weeks at leaving runners on.
I do beg to differ. I would love to see us get a good contact hitter who can hit w/risp. I dont love that Loduca and Wright are really the only guys we can put into the contact hitter class. I was disappointed we couldnt get loretta from SD especially considering all the bosox gave was a back up C(Mirabelli). Fundamental baseball is so underrated, its what started the most recent nyy dynasty and part of that is having guys who will take pitches, deliver clutch hits. Right now we are 4th or 5th in the nl in pitches seen per ab and we're like 12th or 13th w/risp. If we expect to contend those stats must get better because good pitchers will generally keep the ball in the ballpark; we continously rely on the hr.

On another note, a rain delayed win is still a win! 8-3 mets win. Great job by glavine, we needed this game.

Boik14 said:
On another note, a rain delayed win is still a win! 8-3 mets win. Great job by glavine, we needed this game.

This was as close to a must-win game as you can get in May. With Glavine going last night, and then Trax followed by Lima, the Mets HAD to have this one. With 9 games against the Cards, Yanks and Phillies, the Mets have got to come out of this with at least 4 wins.

On another note, it sounds like your boy Pelfrey might be up soon after all. Bob Klapisch (it's on ESPN.com) says they've decided to have him skip AAA and will promote straight from AA.

Boik14 said:
I do beg to differ. I would love to see us get a good contact hitter who can hit w/risp. I dont love that Loduca and Wright are really the only guys we can put into the contact hitter class. I was disappointed we couldnt get loretta from SD especially considering all the bosox gave was a back up C(Mirabelli). Fundamental baseball is so underrated, its what started the most recent nyy dynasty and part of that is having guys who will take pitches, deliver clutch hits. Right now we are 4th or 5th in the nl in pitches seen per ab and we're like 12th or 13th w/risp. If we expect to contend those stats must get better because good pitchers will generally keep the ball in the ballpark; we continously rely on the hr.

When your team batting average is WAY above your batting average with runners in scoring position, it's an anomaly; it's not some fundamental aspect of baseball that's being missed. If you can hit .268, as the Mets are as a team, then you can probably hit .268 with runners in scoring position. Getting more contact hitters may help the average with RISP, but that's because it will help the team batting average as a whole!

I can give you two simple words that explain the low average with RISP: Cliff Floyd. A simple exercise in logic:

What three players have the highest OBP on the Mets? Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright.

So, what three players are most likely to be on base at any given time? Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright.

What player hits behind Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright? Cliff Floyd.

Floyd, of course, is slumping horribly, and since he is hitting .205, he is not driving in many runners. Yet, he is almost always coming up with runners on base. So, he's leaving a ton of runners on base because he's not hitting.

When Floyd picks it up, we'll score more runs and that average with RISP will increase significantly. I'm not opposed to upgrading at 2B, as that would also help the average with RISP, since the 2B is also frequently in a position to hit with runners on (and I couldn't agree more: Loretta would have been a PERFECT addition), but Floyd's the culprit here.

phunwin said:
On another note, it sounds like your boy Pelfrey might be up soon after all. Bob Klapisch (it's on ESPN.com) says they've decided to have him skip AAA and will promote straight from AA.
Yeah i saw that piece. Klapisch isnt the brightest writer but if wright and reyes skipped AA it wasnt hard to see Pelfrey being put on the same fast track since hes in that caliber of prospect. Plus the last few years a number of teams, nym included have considered AAA a place where fringe prospects go to die or step it up another notch. Pelfrey has no need for that stop when AA has better competition anyway

phunwin said:
When your team batting average is WAY above your batting average with runners in scoring position, it's an anomaly; it's not some fundamental aspect of baseball that's being missed. If you can hit .268, as the Mets are as a team, then you can probably hit .268 with runners in scoring position. Getting more contact hitters may help the average with RISP, but that's because it will help the team batting average as a whole!

I can give you two simple words that explain the low average with RISP: Cliff Floyd. A simple exercise in logic:

What three players have the highest OBP on the Mets? Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright.

So, what three players are most likely to be on base at any given time? Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright.

What player hits behind Carlos Beltran, Carlos Delgado and David Wright? Cliff Floyd.

Floyd, of course, is slumping horribly, and since he is hitting .205, he is not driving in many runners. Yet, he is almost always coming up with runners on base. So, he's leaving a ton of runners on base because he's not hitting.

When Floyd picks it up, we'll score more runs and that average with RISP will increase significantly. I'm not opposed to upgrading at 2B, as that would also help the average with RISP, since the 2B is also frequently in a position to hit with runners on (and I couldn't agree more: Loretta would have been a PERFECT addition), but Floyd's the culprit here.
Floyd may be a big part of the problem but he's not the only problem. Generally speaking floyd hits 6th so whats going on in the 7 and 8 slots. Nady isnt hitting as well with risp as he is without risp and neither is kaz.

I dont really agree that it can be considered an anomaly. Some players just hit better in situations that are perceived to be clutch.

Boik14 said:
Floyd may be a big part of the problem but he's not the only problem. Generally speaking floyd hits 6th so whats going on in the 7 and 8 slots. Nady isnt hitting as well with risp as he is without risp and neither is kaz.

I dont really agree that it can be considered an anomaly. Some players just hit better in situations that are perceived to be clutch.

Floyd's obviously not the ONLY problem, but in my mind, he's the biggest (by far) part of it. Nady's not hitting as well with RISP, but then, Nady's also not hitting the cover off the ball like he was for the first couple weeks. That's because a natural regression in his stats was to be expected. He's simply not that great a hitter. As for the #8 hitter, I'm not really expecting much from that spot, and neither, I'll wager, were you.

phunwin said:
Floyd's obviously not the ONLY problem, but in my mind, he's the biggest (by far) part of it. Nady's not hitting as well with RISP, but then, Nady's also not hitting the cover off the ball like he was for the first couple weeks. That's because a natural regression in his stats was to be expected. He's simply not that great a hitter. As for the #8 hitter, I'm not really expecting much from that spot, and neither, I'll wager, were you.
Sure a natural regression was expected of nady after such a blazing start but with a contact hitter you possibly would still get the rbi. What i am saying is that if we can find a better contact hitter in the 8 spot and make nady/floyd that much more dangerous. part of the problem is that nady just doesnt scare anyone yet so floyd isnt getting pitches to drive like he was last year.

Im starting to believe that maybe willie wasnt so dumb putting wright behind floyd last year. david will hit anywhere in the lineup.

Boik14 said:
Sure a natural regression was expected of nady after such a blazing start but with a contact hitter you possibly would still get the rbi. What i am saying is that if we can find a better contact hitter in the 8 spot and make nady/floyd that much more dangerous. part of the problem is that nady just doesnt scare anyone yet so floyd isnt getting pitches to drive like he was last year.

Im starting to believe that maybe willie wasnt so dumb putting wright behind floyd last year. david will hit anywhere in the lineup.
:fire: Damn you Jinx, I mean Boik. Wright K's w/ 1 out in 9th w/ bases loaded. Only to be followed by Floyd grounding out. Poor Trax, he must think the team doesn't like him. Zero runs in his last two outings, while Glavine gets to order up his run support.

finswin56 said:
:fire: Damn you Jinx, I mean Boik. Wright K's w/ 1 out in 9th w/ bases loaded. Only to be followed by Floyd grounding out. Poor Trax, he must think the team doesn't like him. Zero runs in his last two outings, while Glavine gets to order up his run support.
im sorry. :o :boohoo:

wright came up tiny in a big spot tonight. very dissappointed

Ohhh quit your crying :D ....you are still up two games over my Phils who lost another one run game to the Milwaukee Brautwursts. :tantrum: Now the Braves are getting back into it too. :(

Back
Top Bottom