The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 52 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

phunwin said:
Took 1 of 2 from the Giants yesterday.

Also Newsday today is reporting the D-Rays wanted Heilman for Julio Lugo and the Mets turned that down (thankfully).

good god I hoped they turned it down. That trade doesn't help them at all

The Mets have won 17 one run games....sooner or later this will come back to bite you. :wink:

phunwin said:
I'm going to make a prediction here: if Bannister continues to walk more hitters than he strikes out, his ERA will be up a full 2 runs by the end of the year. It's one thing to not have phenomenal tools and excel anyway. It's quite another not to have phenomenal tools but continue to put runners on base and balls in play. If you're not striking hitters out, baseballs are being put in play, and if runners are on base, that means runners are often advancing.

I see your point; Bannister can excel in spite of limited tools, and I agree with that. But I don't agree with the proposition that he has a mythical ability to pitch out of a jam every time out. History has told us a different story time and again. Like I said, there's only one Kirk Reuter. So far, Bannister's been lucky, not good. And to keep his ERA around 3, he's going to have to strike out more hitters and walk less.
Walks kill but so do homers and when you give in to hitters thats going to happen. id rather a pitcher who walks batters and knows how to pitch his way out of a jam then a pitcher who gives in to a hitter and gives them a pitch they can drive. Do pitchers like that often have Al Leiter esque starts where they have 125 pitches in 5 and a third? yeah but if thats how a guy needs to pitch to be successful so be it.

You talk about Rueter but theres always a handful of successful soft tossing lefties out there like Moyer and in certain years of his career glavine, lilly etc. None, except Glavine have ever been spectacular of course but all have been good major league pitchers and are good pitchers to have at the backend of the rotation which is all bannister is predicted to be. So anything more is a bonus anyway.

phunwin said:
Took 1 of 2 from the Giants yesterday.

Also Newsday today is reporting the D-Rays wanted Heilman for Julio Lugo and the Mets turned that down (thankfully).
im thinking the ideal guy to get may be luis castillo. With the twinkies doing so so that kind of payroll dump could help them since it would save about 7-8m if all we gave were a few prospects probably starting with ian mcclane and victor diaz and maybe 1 other. Radke's struggled and hes in the last year of his contract and castillo would give a good contact hitter in that 2 or 8 spot who has in the past carried a good obp and has some speed. Hes pretty good on D as well....

Thats the kind of deal that would help us.

Boik14 said:
Walks kill but so do homers and when you give in to hitters thats going to happen. id rather a pitcher who walks batters and knows how to pitch his way out of a jam then a pitcher who gives in to a hitter and gives them a pitch they can drive. Do pitchers like that often have Al Leiter esque starts where they have 125 pitches in 5 and a third? yeah but if thats how a guy needs to pitch to be successful so be it.

You talk about Rueter but theres always a handful of successful soft tossing lefties out there like Moyer and in certain years of his career glavine, lilly etc. None, except Glavine have ever been spectacular of course but all have been good major league pitchers and are good pitchers to have at the backend of the rotation which is all bannister is predicted to be. So anything more is a bonus anyway.

Right, but Moyer, for his career, has a K/BB ratio of better than 2/1. Glavine's for his career is 1.75/1. Those guys struck out many more hitters than they walked. Like I said, you can get away with being a soft-tosser as long as you're not packing the bases.

Like I said, time will tell. Either he will improve, and strike out more hitters and walk less (I hope, and expect, this to happen), or he'll keep doing what he's doing, and get shelled. My prediction stands: if he finishes the year with more BB than K, his ERA will go up 2 full runs from where it is now.

Anyone else think Lastings M is going to get drilled one of these days. Boy is he in love with himself!

Boik14 said:
im thinking the ideal guy to get may be luis castillo. With the twinkies doing so so that kind of payroll dump could help them since it would save about 7-8m if all we gave were a few prospects probably starting with ian mcclane and victor diaz and maybe 1 other. Radke's struggled and hes in the last year of his contract and castillo would give a good contact hitter in that 2 or 8 spot who has in the past carried a good obp and has some speed. Hes pretty good on D as well....

Thats the kind of deal that would help us.

A Castillo trade might make sense for both sides. Minnesota's 11.5 back of the Tigers and 9 back of the wild card; they're not going anywhere. I don't know how much value Diaz has, though, unfortunately. He's not hitting at AAA and not looking good.

I don't see them moving Radke, even though it would make sense from an objective POV (free up salary, and a rotation spot for Liriano). Moreover, he's a 10-5 guy and can refuse any trade. One assumes he's quite happy in the Twin Cities and would like to stay there.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Anyone else think Lastings M is going to get drilled one of these days. Boy is he in love with himself!
some people are bashing him for :hi5: the fans on his way out to the outfield...one caller on Mike and the Mad Dog even compared it to what Ron Artest did :shakeno:

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he did...I just don't see a problem with it.

Rocky Raccoon said:
some people are bashing him for :hi5: the fans on his way out to the outfield...one caller on Mike and the Mad Dog even compared it to what Ron Artest did :shakeno:

I saw absolutely nothing wrong with what he did...I just don't see a problem with it.

I did not have a problem with the hi fiving the fans, just the way he acts and carries himself. He is mighty full of himself and he has yet to do anything!

In fact the last couple of games before yesterday all he did was strike out.

He needs to be a wet behind the ears rookie before he can start walking around like Tom seaver.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
I did not have a problem with the hi fiving the fans, just the way he acts and carries himself. He is mighty full of himself and he has yet to do anything!

He needs to be a wet behind the ears rookie before he can start walking around like Tom seaver.

agreed 100%

NJFINSFAN1 said:

most top prospects are full of themselves. Look no further than Florida's own Scott Olsen (who got a black eye from Randy Messenger, and is always getting an earful from Girardi).

Delmon Young from Tampa did throw a bat at an umpire.

Guys who are told they are that good for so long, become full of themselves.

ChambersWI said:
most top prospects are full of themselves. Look no further than Florida's own Scott Olsen (who got a black eye from Randy Messenger, and is always getting an earful from Girardi).

Delmon Young from Tampa did throw a bat at an umpire.

Guys who are told they are that good for so long, become full of themselves.

I don't buy that. Look at david wright, Look at a Jeter, I can name others, Albert P. on the cards. These guys were all told they were good, but don't act like they own the world.

It all has to do with upbringing and the areas they grew up in. But mostly the up bringing.

Everyone says this kid learns fast, so maybe he can? I don't have a problem with the hi fiving fans, I thought it was pretty cool, I just don't like the way he carries himself.

phunwin said:
A Castillo trade might make sense for both sides. Minnesota's 11.5 back of the Tigers and 9 back of the wild card; they're not going anywhere. I don't know how much value Diaz has, though, unfortunately. He's not hitting at AAA and not looking good.

I don't see them moving Radke, even though it would make sense from an objective POV (free up salary, and a rotation spot for Liriano). Moreover, he's a 10-5 guy and can refuse any trade. One assumes he's quite happy in the Twin Cities and would like to stay there.
yeah that was just a for instance type of trade that would actually do something for us

NJFINSFAN1 said:

So what, he has a little flair to his game. Not everyone has to be a generic willie clone. I like willies professionalism and winning style but he can be a bit to robotic at times.

On Milledge though if he was that full of himself he would have taken that curtain call like the fans wanted

Back
Top Bottom