The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread | Page 50 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Official 2006 New York Mets Thread

Ray Finkle said:
Didn't Milledge get into some big trouble for that or was it something else? Wasn't that a big reason why he wasn't taken sooner in the draft?
Excerpt from the article i was mentioning above:
"It's mostly hot-dogging stuff, but not really serious," one source said. "The concern is that he'll get to the majors and have an attitude problem like a young Gary Sheffield or something. Like he's on good behavior now because he's trying to get there, but once he makes it, who knows? But even with that, there's almost no way he's going to be traded. With the makeup of the clubhouse there, with guys like Delgado and Pedro and Wright and Reyes, there are enough good influences. I don't think there's any way he isn't the starting left fielder next year."

When the Mets drafted Milledge in 2003, they knew he had some problem at school, something about getting in trouble for having sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend. Milledge was expelled from Northside Christian School in St.Petersburg, Fla., and agreed to enroll in a juvenile arbitration program to avoid prosecution. The baggage was enough to scare off several teams, and Milledge, projected as one of the top three picks in the draft, fell to No. 12.

Soon after Milledge was drafted, the Daily News reported that he had been accused of having sex not only with his girlfriend, but with 12- and 13-year-old girls as well. For that reportedly consensual sex, he and the girls were expelled from Northside.

Milledge and his parents, who met with a Daily News reporter three years ago to discuss the allegations, denied he had sex with the younger girls. But a source with the Pinellas County State's Attorney's office, speaking on the condition of anonymity, told The News at the time that if Milledge had not agreed to the arbitration program - with the approval of the girls' parents - he would have been prosecuted as a juvenile for molestation"

From what I know...After the pre-draft scandal was cleared up, all the personal pieces that I read about Milledge have been largely positive. Hes 2nd in OBP at .425, and the only real knock is that his power hasnt fully developed yet.

Before coming up the impression that I got about him was that Milledge was confident bordering on ****y in respect to his belief in his abilities, but modest in the sense that he was respectful of his peers, teammates and the organization itself. Yet he's 2nd in AAA with 11 HBP and is largely disliked after he slid hard into John Schourholz's son instigating a rawl 2 weeks ago.

Yet the second he cracks the majors there are all of these stories suddenly popping up out of nowhere that he is a show-boating egomaniac with character issues. I've yet to see anything to support this claim outside of the pre-draft story which has reared it's head again, and one story about him semi-instigating a bench clearing brawl in Norfolk.

Whatever the case may be, the truth will present itself in his interviews on TV (as opposed to in the newspapers). What I saw/heard last night was a well-spoken kid that was thrilled to have gone through the experience of making his MLB debut.

They consider him a potential handful, but are so far convinced his talent will make them smile more than cringe.

By the way, the stuff about Milledge and the "other" underage girls was never confirmed. There were holes all over the prosecution's argument

Yeah that's what I thought. Anyway who cares what the reporters are writing or saying. The kid is going to be something special, his play on the field should be all that matters.

Ray Finkle said:
Yeah that's what I thought. Anyway who cares what the reporters are writing or saying. The kid is going to be something special, his play on the field should be all that matters.
Considering his dad's a retired state trooper I think Lastings probably got quite the --- whooping after that incident and he'll be getting one again if he acts up since his parents follow him around in a winnabango.

Boik14 said:
Considering his dad's a retired state trooper I think Lastings probably got quite the --- whooping after that incident and he'll be getting one again if he acts up since his parents follow him around in a winnabango.

:lol:

That's too funny.

Just the NYC media doing their usual thing. Nothing to get indignant about.

phunwin said:
Just the NYC media doing their usual thing. Nothing to get indignant about.
still, its unwarranted and dumb. Its like theyre trying to drag the kid down

ok I have to admit, and I'm not drawing any conclusions because I don't know the kid, but Milledge did seem to act a little ****y tonight

for anyone who cares, i played against Lastings in highschool. and he never got into trouble. he was kicked out of a private highschool due to accusations, thats all.

Nappy Roots said:
for anyone who cares, i played against Lastings in highschool. and he never got into trouble. he was kicked out of a private highschool due to accusations, thats all.
any further details? I did some digging but i havent found much on it which probably means in the end it wasnt a big deal

finswin56 said:
Looks like another lucky win for the Mets:rolleyes:

Mets and Braves win all the one run games, while my Phils lose all the one run games. :tantrum:

Boik14 said:
any further details? I did some digging but i havent found much on it which probably means in the end it wasnt a big deal

As far as i know, he was accused of having sex with 14 girl, not a sophmore in highschool, he was kicked out of his private school on accusations alone, no chargers were pressed due to lack of evidence on him, so he decided to go to school at a newer highschool, which he lead them to a state championship for class 5A. Thats all i really know about that situation.

My boy lived right beside him in palmetto, FL. Lastings had this tiny backyard, which consisted of a batting cage, thats it. He said that during his offseason he was up at 12 am every night hitting balls.

I never really met him, just played against him, so i dont know if hes all that ****y. He seemed cool as far as i could tell though.

He was an amazing player no doubt. all around amazing. Heard he was clocked at 93 MPH from center field. He stole bases easily. Infact, in the 1st round of the playoffs, the team was almost elimated, he hit a 2B in the 9th inning, stole 3rd, then stole home to tie the game, on a straight steal, no throw through stuff. He hit some of the hardest balls ive ever seen. My boy struck him out once, then we picked him off after a base hit another time though....

Back
Top Bottom