***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread*** | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***The Official 2007-2008 NHL Thread***

The Blue kool-aid is overflowing here in T.O, and smoking Boston last night just adds fuel to the playoff fire!!!! Missed the playoffs by 1-point last year,anyone out there think the Leafs will get a sniff at them this year?....anyone? Nah,me either.

As bizarre as it sounds, start losing some games. I'm serious, if I were a Bruins fan, I would want the Bruins to go on a mini-slump in about 5 games, for another 5 games, then win a couple before the playoffs. If that happens I've got my money on them doing some damage. If they continue winning like this though, they will have peaked too early IMO.

:woot: :up::lol: Buying myself a lottery ticket this week-end.

I just read what I wrote one page back and shuddered at how much my Bruins have changed in a ****ing week.

Tim Thomas has turned into a pumpkin in a week. The few fundamentals he had have totally collapsed. They can't score all of a sudden and the #3-6 defenseman are ****ing pylons.

I'll be stunned if they make the playoffs now. I have never been more disgusted then I was last night even during the 82 games of Dave Lewis.

A local talk show host brought up a point today and I tend to agree with him. I think that all games should be worth a collective 3 points, not just the ones that go into OT. I think there would be a problem with how games would be played much like teams who would play OT "not to lose," before the shootout. A team should be rewarded for winning a game in 3 periods more than winning in OT or a shootout, IMO. Also I wouldn't mind seeing OT go from 5 to 10 minutes and perhaps changing a penalty in OT from 2 to 1 minute.

A local talk show host brought up a point today and I tend to agree with him. I think that all games should be worth a collective 3 points, not just the ones that go into OT. I think there would be a problem with how games would be played much like teams who would play OT "not to lose," before the shootout. A team should be rewarded for winning a game in 3 periods more than winning in OT or a shootout, IMO. Also I wouldn't mind seeing OT go from 5 to 10 minutes and perhaps changing a penalty in OT from 2 to 1 minute.
The local afternoon talking heads have been banging the "3 point game" drum for 3 seasons and I totally agree with them.

What other sport do you get rewarded for failure? Bettman LOVES it though. It keeps more teams in the playoff mix, allowing fans to be fooled into thinking their team has a chance which sells more seats and brings in more dough.

The NHL will always have a problem though because the game is being over coached. You know damn well that if a team was up 1-0 in the middle of the 2nd period they would go to the trap and suffocate the other team into making a mistake. There is no way they would play offense, risking the 3 points.

I think the NHL should do a few things. Some of these are related to the way points are handed out, some would just make the game better....IMO.

1.) Stop allowing coaches to "over coach" the sport. Take the headsets away. Have as many coaches as you want BUT on game day the only people allowed on the bench are the head coach, one assistant and the head trainer. Make the head coach and the assistant make adjustments on the fly from ice level. The coaches in the coaches box can communicate with the bench but only between periods.

2.) Force teams to fore check. The NBA has illegal defense and I think the NHL HAS to consider bringing in something similar. If you have too many players in the neutral zone on a breakout, forcing teams to run the damn gauntlet just to get the puck into the zone, only to have the goalie ring it off the glass and make you do it all over again it is not going to make the game "offensive".

If a team is trapping, and has too many players in the neutral zone then you blow the whistle and move the face off into the defending teams zone without letting them change lines, just like icing. If the offending team does it three times in a game then they get a one minute penalty. It would be very easy to enforce IMO. Make the replay official responsible for it, he does not have anything else to do while the play is going on.

3.) Get rid of the damn instigator rule. Let the players police themselves. It worked for 100 years and worked well. It only changed when a ****ing New York lawyer took over.

4.) Make the goaltenders equipment smaller. I love it when the goalies moan that it is about "personal protection". Bull ****. Make the shoulder pads smaller, make the pads narrower, make the blockers smaller and the trapper smaller. Simple. If the players can see more net they will score more goals. Make goaltending about MAKING a save instead of letting the puck hit you.

5.) Start enforcing the rules THEY HAVE. I see 5 "non calls" on charging or boarding every game. Players are getting hurt and someone is going to get killed if they don't make players THINK.

To be honest, this would get taken care of if they got rid of the instigator rule. You would not see Jordan Tootoo take a 90 foot, full speed skate, leaving his feet to run a defenseman through the boards if he knew he'd have Derrick Boogard coming over the boards to kick the crap out of him on the next shift.

6.) Put a line in each zone at the top of the face off circles. This would be called the "hold up" line. If a team dumps the puck into the zone the defending team would be allowed to "hold up" the forechecker anywhere past this line. This would ONLY be on dump ins and the "hold up" would have to be within reason. I'm tired of seeing defenseman get hurt because they are turning for the puck and some idiot has skated 120 feet unimpeded and runs them through the wall.

7.) Loosen up the boards in every rink. I remember the days of the old "Aud" in Buffalo or the Garden in Boston when guys would get HAMMERED into the wall, it would make a huge "crashing" sound but the guy would not be hurt.

8.) 1 minute penalties in OT works for me unless it is a grievous penalty (major high stick/boarding etc.).

9.) Stay with the 5 minute, 4 on 4 overtime. That said, make every game worth three points. If you win in regulation you get 3 points and the other team gets nothing. OT or shootout win gets you 2 points and the loser gets one. It is idiotic that a team that wins in regulation only gets one more point then a team that loses in overtime. It's also idiotic that games are worth different amounts of points, some worth 3 some worth 2.

That's my rant...LOL!

The local afternoon talking heads have been banging the "3 point game" drum for 3 seasons and I totally agree with them.

What other sport do you get rewarded for failure? Bettman LOVES it though. It keeps more teams in the playoff mix, allowing fans to be fooled into thinking their team has a chance which sells more seats and brings in more dough.

The NHL will always have a problem though because the game is being over coached. You know damn well that if a team was up 1-0 in the middle of the 2nd period they would go to the trap and suffocate the other team into making a mistake. There is no way they would play offense, risking the 3 points.

I think the NHL should do a few things. Some of these are related to the way points are handed out, some would just make the game better....IMO.

1.) Stop allowing coaches to "over coach" the sport. Take the headsets away. Have as many coaches as you want BUT on game day the only people allowed on the bench are the head coach, one assistant and the head trainer. Make the head coach and the assistant make adjustments on the fly from ice level. The coaches in the coaches box can communicate with the bench but only between periods.

2.) Force teams to fore check. The NBA has illegal defense and I think the NHL HAS to consider bringing in something similar. If you have too many players in the neutral zone on a breakout, forcing teams to run the damn gauntlet just to get the puck into the zone, only to have the goalie ring it off the glass and make you do it all over again it is not going to make the game "offensive".

If a team is trapping, and has too many players in the neutral zone then you blow the whistle and move the face off into the defending teams zone without letting them change lines, just like icing. If the offending team does it three times in a game then they get a one minute penalty. It would be very easy to enforce IMO. Make the replay official responsible for it, he does not have anything else to do while the play is going on.

3.) Get rid of the damn instigator rule. Let the players police themselves. It worked for 100 years and worked well. It only changed when a ****ing New York lawyer took over.

4.) Make the goaltenders equipment smaller. I love it when the goalies moan that it is about "personal protection". Bull ****. Make the shoulder pads smaller, make the pads narrower, make the blockers smaller and the trapper smaller. Simple. If the players can see more net they will score more goals. Make goaltending about MAKING a save instead of letting the puck hit you.

5.) Start enforcing the rules THEY HAVE. I see 5 "non calls" on charging or boarding every game. Players are getting hurt and someone is going to get killed if they don't make players THINK.

To be honest, this would get taken care of if they got rid of the instigator rule. You would not see Jordan Tootoo take a 90 foot, full speed skate, leaving his feet to run a defenseman through the boards if he knew he'd have Derrick Boogard coming over the boards to kick the crap out of him on the next shift.

6.) Put a line in each zone at the top of the face off circles. This would be called the "hold up" line. If a team dumps the puck into the zone the defending team would be allowed to "hold up" the forechecker anywhere past this line. This would ONLY be on dump ins and the "hold up" would have to be within reason. I'm tired of seeing defenseman get hurt because they are turning for the puck and some idiot has skated 120 feet unimpeded and runs them through the wall.

7.) Loosen up the boards in every rink. I remember the days of the old "Aud" in Buffalo or the Garden in Boston when guys would get HAMMERED into the wall, it would make a huge "crashing" sound but the guy would not be hurt.

8.) 1 minute penalties in OT works for me unless it is a grievous penalty (major high stick/boarding etc.).

9.) Stay with the 5 minute, 4 on 4 overtime. That said, make every game worth three points. If you win in regulation you get 3 points and the other team gets nothing. OT or shootout win gets you 2 points and the loser gets one. It is idiotic that a team that wins in regulation only gets one more point then a team that loses in overtime. It's also idiotic that games are worth different amounts of points, some worth 3 some worth 2.

That's my rant...LOL!

I can't recall the broadcast but they were talking about the goalie equipment. I can't remember what goalies were being compared but one was Brodeur who is about 6'1 205 and I believe a much smaller goaltender who was about 160-165 and a few inches shorter was wearing the same size equipment.

As for the instigator I believe it should be done away with. I believe it's better to let the guys police themselves. I think players would have more respect for each other. I'd compare it to baseball, some people complain about the "un-written rules," though I think it polices the game.

The rule that probably needs to be implemented ASAP is the damn touch icing rule that Don Cherry always rants about.

That's my rant...LOL!

You're crazy I don't agree with half of that, all I agree with is there should be a new point system. A SOCCER style point system

3 points for a win in regulation
2 for an OT win
1 for an OT loss
and 0 for a regulation loss.

Damn simplest way!!!

You're crazy I don't agree with half of that, all I agree with is there should be a new point system. A SOCCER style point system

3 points for a win in regulation
2 for an OT win
1 for an OT loss
and 0 for a regulation loss.

Damn simplest way!!!

If I'm crazy then tell me what you don't agree with.

Do you think the sport is not over coached? I do. Let coaches coach from the bench instead of having 5 guys overhead in the coaches box telling them everything. Let them make mistakes, mistakes would lead to open hockey.

Do you like the trap? If you forced teams to forecheck then that would get rid of the trap. The only way to force teams to forecheck is by giving them a penalty if they don't.

Do you like the instigator rule? I don't know about you but watching players like Jordan Tootoo or Matt Cooke run around cheap shotting anyone they want without worrying about reprisals REALLY bothers me. there was a time when an "agitator" had to actually know how to play the game AND had to drop the gloves occasionally. There are 3 guys on every NHL team that have no interest in where the puck is on the ice, all they are there for is to try and knock the other teams star player into next week.

Do you like "Michelin Man" goaltenders? I want to see some scoring. There was a time when a shot from the top of the circle was considered a scoring chance, now it is a waste of time because the puck just hits the overstuffed goaltender.

Do you like defenseman getting run through the boards by a guy skating untouched 120 feet? That is call BOARDING but it is never called. Let the D-men have a zone where they can hold a guy up.

Do you like injuries? Loosen up the boards. It sounds cool and no one gets hurt.

Which one of these things am I wrong about?

BTW...your point system is exactly what I'd install. 3 for a win, 2 for a OT win, one for an OT loss and nothing for a regulation loss.

I can't recall the broadcast but they were talking about the goalie equipment. I can't remember what goalies were being compared but one was Brodeur who is about 6'1 205 and I believe a much smaller goaltender who was about 160-165 and a few inches shorter was wearing the same size equipment.

As for the instigator I believe it should be done away with. I believe it's better to let the guys police themselves. I think players would have more respect for each other. I'd compare it to baseball, some people complain about the "un-written rules," though I think it polices the game.

The rule that probably needs to be implemented ASAP is the damn touch icing rule that Don Cherry always rants about.

Manny Legace wears pads that are 3 inches taller then Roberto Luongo. Legace is 5'9", Luongo is 6'3".

Manny Legace wears pads that are 3 inches taller then Roberto Luongo. Legace is 5'9", Luongo is 6'3".

He may have been the guy actually referenced. I think Marty Brodeur actually pointed it out. I think three points should be awarded for a regulation win. If this were to happen than other rule chances would have to follow. IMO, teams would just sit back and I think the amount of OT games would sky-rocket.

If I'm crazy then tell me what you don't agree with.

Do you think the sport is not over coached? I do. Let coaches coach from the bench instead of having 5 guys overhead in the coaches box telling them everything. Let them make mistakes, mistakes would lead to open hockey.

Do you like the trap? If you forced teams to forecheck then that would get rid of the trap. The only way to force teams to forecheck is by giving them a penalty if they don't.

Do you like the instigator rule? I don't know about you but watching players like Jordan Tootoo or Matt Cooke run around cheap shotting anyone they want without worrying about reprisals REALLY bothers me. there was a time when an "agitator" had to actually know how to play the game AND had to drop the gloves occasionally. There are 3 guys on every NHL team that have no interest in where the puck is on the ice, all they are there for is to try and knock the other teams star player into next week.

Do you like "Michelin Man" goaltenders? I want to see some scoring. There was a time when a shot from the top of the circle was considered a scoring chance, now it is a waste of time because the puck just hits the overstuffed goaltender.

Do you like defenseman getting run through the boards by a guy skating untouched 120 feet? That is call BOARDING but it is never called. Let the D-men have a zone where they can hold a guy up.

Do you like injuries? Loosen up the boards. It sounds cool and no one gets hurt.

Which one of these things am I wrong about?

BTW...your point system is exactly what I'd install. 3 for a win, 2 for a OT win, one for an OT loss and nothing for a regulation loss.

I don't like your changes of points 1,2,4,6 and 8.

#1, coaches need to learn how to beat other teams systems. Too many teams play the same system every game. Adjust to the type of team you are playing. Out coach the other coach. Like Billy boy does in the NFL.

#2, Too many stopages, slows the damn game down teams will not stop. Doing what your saying. Further to that the referees can barely make the right calls right now, adding more to there plate would create even more nightmares.

#4 This is a non starter for me, the players shoot the puck way harder than the older days, goalies would get injured. Perhaps the width of the pads and only the width of hte pads to be reduced.

#6 Don't add anymore to the game I like the simplicity of the games. The more lines the stupider.

#8 Why reward a team with a 1 minute penalty. A penalty is a penalty it should be 2 minutes. Teams would take more penalties in OT if it were 1 minutes.

1)You want to make the game better, make the ice bigger, the NHL has the fastest players in the world this would open up the game more. People say it doesn't work in Europe, well of course not those players are all 3rd rate players at best.

2)Get rid of some teams this will weed out alot of 4th liners in the league right now.

3)Call all penalties, not just stupid hooking, OBSTRUCTION ON DUMPIN'S is my biggest pet peeve too many teams do it. This slows up the quick forwards.

4) No touch Icing.

5) All hits to the head are 5 minutes and an automatic 1 game suspention. It should not matter if the player gets hurt. The same should be for hitting from behind.

P.S. I love players like tootoo, they bring excitement to the game, Avery is one of my favorite players. I'd love for him to be a flame next year. We need more drama type players.

The trap can be beaten. If coached properly.

Back
Top Bottom