The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!! | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!!

Oh. My bad. Then please, explain to us what kind of system Gus runs at Auburn.

I would have swore it was the exact same offense he brought with him from Springdale High and into, Arkansas, Tulsa, and now Auburn.

You realize the spread came from high school, too, right?

For me, once it gets to college and is successful, it's no longer a "high school" offense. No more than a player is a high school player once he gets to college and gets on the field.

I will say this, Slimm. You know a helluva lot more than I do about evaluation. But if your point of view is a perspective shared by many of the professionals, there is a chance Cam makes it to 15. Because if he were a no-brainer, he would be gone super early, and there would be nothing to discuss.

I'm thinking there is a good chance that Harbaugh or Shanahan or Frazier/Spielman take him ahead of Miami.

I've felt like his draft projection to begin with was a little high and felt like he would drop later on as well. I think he'll tear apart the combine. His 40 time should be where it needs to be, I expect him to rep 225 25x or more, etc.

But the Wonderlic will be a huge factor for Cam I think.

Oh. My bad. Then please, explain to us what kind of system Gus runs at Auburn.

I would have swore it was the exact same offense he brought with him from Springdale High and into, Arkansas, Tulsa, and now Auburn.

It is.

Except Malzahn can use more packages and more formations than he could in high school. It's still the same spread, 80 play a game offense that he ran when Mitch Mustain was his quarterback.

Malzahn didn't use the read option last year at Auburn because he didn't have a quarterback that could do it... Chris Todd was the pocket passer. They tried to run some of the option with Kodi Burns at quarterback, but only sparingly.

What Malzahn implemented in 2010 was the read option because he had Cam Newton... he molded the offense to fit Cam Newton's skillset.... the pace of the offense, and spacing with the receivers didn't change. In fact, Darvin Adams actually had a better season with Chris Todd at QB than he did with Cam Newton, due to the QB running more with the read option.

For me, once it gets to college and is successful, it's no longer a "high school" offense. No more than a player is a high school player once he gets to college and gets on the field.

:bobdole:

The point I'm trying to make about it being a high school offense is the simplicity of the offense. Gus makes it very simple to understand for these kids. College offenses are a bit more advanced. Yes, a high school offense works in the college ranks. Who cares about that. My thing is can Cam go from a simple high school to a complex NFL system.

That's it.

It is.

Except Malzahn can use more packages and more formations than he could in high school. It's still the same spread, 80 play a game offense that he ran when Mitch Mustain was his quarterback.

Malzahn didn't use the read option last year at Auburn because he didn't have a quarterback that could do it... Chris Todd was the pocket passer. They tried to run some of the option with Kodi Burns at quarterback, but only sparingly.

What Malzahn implemented in 2010 was the read option because he had Cam Newton... he molded the offense to fit Cam Newton's skillset.... the pace of the offense, and spacing with the receivers didn't change. In fact, Darvin Adams actually had a better season with Chris Todd at QB than he did with Cam Newton, due to the QB running more with the read option.

And it's very very similar to the offense Oregon runs. And I think Derron Thomas is better at running the read option than Cam Newton.

:bobdole:

The point I'm trying to make about it being a high school offense is the simplicity of the offense. Gus makes it very simple to understand for these kids. College offenses are a bit more advanced. Yes, a high school offense works in the college ranks. Who cares about that. My thing is can Cam go from a simple high school to a complex NFL system.

That's it.

it's a definite concern of mine...can cam learn a complex nfl system and be successful in it

And it's very very similar to the offense Oregon runs. And I think Derron Thomas is better at running the read option than Cam Newton.

i don't know about that...if derron was better at the read option i'm not so sure he would have gotten planted so much by an unblocked nick fairley

Yes they're very, very similar in terms of output, pace, design, routes, and personnel packages....but I don't think he runs it better than Cam Newton.

There are several QB's in college who run the read option well... Derron Thomas, Robert Griffin, Taylor Martinez, Nathan Scheelhaase, Denard Robinson, Terrell Pryor, Jeremiah Masoli, Chris Relf, Colin Kaepernick, etc...

Somebody tell me how many of these kids are NFL quarterback prospects..

if we are gonna run a play action based offense where cams gonna be asked to turn his back on the defense i don't think cams the guy for us...i want him to see the defense as much as possible

if i'm taking cam newton he's playing primarily in shotgun...end of story...

the point was... cam newton didn't exactly play in an offense that had charlie weiss written all over it...

please don't turn this into a brady quinn did, and jimmy clausen did though... look how they turned out deal...

it was pretty simple to follow... the auburn offense is basic. IF cam had played in a pro style offense, and had success, coupled with his physical tools and talent, ppl would hold a much less reserved opinion of him as a nfl quarterback prospect.

the point was... cam newton didn't exactly play in an offense that had charlie weiss written all over it...

please don't turn this into a brady quinn did, and jimmy clausen did though... look how they turned out deal...

it was pretty simple to follow... the auburn offense is basic. IF cam had played in a pro style offense, and had success, coupled with his physical tools and talent, ppl would hold a much less reserved opinion of him as a nfl quarterback prospect.

if he had done that there'd be no point in us even discussing him...he'd be a LOCK top 5 pick

I think the Akili Smith comparison is pretty fair.

But so are comparisons to guys that made it.

I may not be able to follow every single discussion of Cam Newton on this board, but to my knowledge, nobody has said that Newton is a 100% sure thing.

The comparisons with Akili Smith are valid... they were both 1 year starters who had a cannon for an arm and incredible scrambling ability. Go watch some film of Akili Smith at Oregon and then ask the question "Why shouldn't Cincinnati have taken this guy at #3"?

The comparisons to Daunte Culpepper are valid, except Culpepper was much more experienced. They were both 6'4"-6'5", 255 pounds with speed in the 4.5 range. Culpepper was as "accurate" as a college quarterback can get.. he set the NCAA record for completion percentage... but couldn't read a defense in the NFL to save his life. After he suffered the devastating knee injury, and was FORCED to use his head instead of his legs to make plays, he was done. (Actually he was done before he suffered the injury). Cam Newton doesn't read defenses in college...

Cam Newton never turns his back to the defense operating out of Guz Malzahn's offense... he knows where the football is going. JCane is right about one thing, Malzahn's system works.

Chris Todd completed 60.4% of his passes for over 2,600 yards, threw 22 TD's and only 6 INT's in his ONLY season in Malzahn's offense before Cam Newton was an Auburn Tiger...

Cam Newton's passing improved as the year went on, but it's not as if he was required to assert himself from an NFL quarterback "work ethic" standpoint. All he did was learn how to execute Malzahn's read option after the first few games, and that's when Auburn's offense took flight.

None of this says Cam Newton is going to succeed or fail, but the comparisons go far beyond they're all "big and black" quarterbacks.

I know CK and others like Newton, but Slimm is 100% right on this. The system works. It works so well Chris Todd was pretty good in it. It creates SPACING and the QB is able to see where he wants to go quickly. Imagine Newton in our offense last year. Where he would need to make 3-4 reads before coming back to his primary just to find someone open. No one knows if Newton will succeed or fail in the NFL. But you cannot tell me he was reading defenses in college. You just can't. The plays he did seem to be "reading" the field, he wasn't reading it. It was automatic called for progressions the QB made to look off the DB/LB/Safety.

You have a 1 year starter at QB with a STACKED O-line and WR/RB core that helps him out massively. Put that with the system he runs, what do you get?

Back
Top Bottom