The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!! | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The OFFICIAL draft Cam Newton Thread!!!

i remember akili smith when he came out and i personally think cam newtons a much better prospect...

What Akili Smith looked like in Cincinnati as a rookie is irrelevant.... Cam Newton could look like that as a rookie too.. You have to go look at Akili Smith as a college prospect coming out of Oregon and figure out why the Bengals shouldn't have taken him in the top 5 of the draft.

Akili Smith was as physically gifted as any QB prospect of the past 20 years, you're not going to find anything on his Oregon film that slaps you in the face and leaves a "bust" imprint on your cheeks. This kid was extremely talented...

The reason they shouldn't have taken him in the top 5 is because he only had 1 season of starting experience at the D-1 level..

Auburn's offensive line was one of the best in the country this year... they are the main reason Auburn went undefeated. Full of Seniors all the way across except for Brandon Mosley (junior)... and they're all NFL prospects.

Cam Newton is going to have to make decisions a lot faster in the NFL... his decision making process is dreadfully slow on a regular basis if he's not throwing quick screen passes.

I can't believe people don't see this stuff.

I completely understand your take on this Slimm. Imagine Newton reading a play where he had a Deep Dagger, Jerk route underneath, Deep Out on the right underneath with a Fade on the outside and a releasing back doing an arrow behind the Jerk?

Do you posters honestly see Newton on his tape doing all those reads?

I completely understand your take on this Slimm. Imagine Newton reading a play where he had a Deep Dagger, Jerk route underneath, Deep Out on the right underneath with a Fade on the outside and a releasing back doing an arrow behind the Jerk?

Do you posters honestly see Newton on his tape doing all those reads?

How many quarterbacks coming out of the draft these days -- even ones that go on to be successful -- could you say this about, though?

it's a definite concern of mine...can cam learn a complex nfl system and be successful in it

Heck, can Newton make the necessary PSR on the NFL level? Can he locate the leverage and cushion a DB is given during the PSR? Thats the simplest forms of reading a defense PSR and I'm not sure if Newton can do it.

i remember akili smith when he came out and i personally think cam newtons a much better prospect...

I don't know about that. Akili Smith is one of the most talented quarterback prospects I've ever seen. He probably wasn't as mobile as Newton but he had an absolute cannon, along with a quick release and good accuracy. Plus, he came out of a pro style attack. I was still in high school when he came out but there are some throws of his I'll never forget.

For instance:

[video=youtube;aQa7gRaW-j0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQa7gRaW-j0[/video]

I don't know about that. Akili Smith is one of the most talented quarterback prospects I've ever seen. He probably wasn't as mobile as Newton but he had an absolute cannon, along with a quick release and good accuracy. I was still in high school when he came out but there are some throws of his I'll never forget.

For instance:

[video=youtube;aQa7gRaW-j0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQa7gRaW-j0[/video]

DO people not remember Smith? the dude was AMAZING at Oregon. Seriously, I don't think any QBs in the past couple year go near the status Smith was at in College.

i don't know about that...if derron was better at the read option i'm not so sure he would have gotten planted so much by an unblocked nick fairley

There's only so much you can do to stop Nick Fairly. That's not fair lol. Derron Thomas IS the Oregon offense the same way Cam Newton is the Auburn offense.

There's only so much you can do to stop Nick Fairly. That's not fair lol. Derron Thomas IS the Oregon offense the same way Cam Newton is the Auburn offense.

Except Thomas cannot throw a 10-15 yard out consistently if his career depended on it.

Plus, he played in much more of a pro style offense than Newton.

Exactly.

Cam Newton - 1 year starter

Akili Smith - 1 year starter

Cam Newton - 30 TD's - 7 INT's

Akili Smith - 30 TD's - 7 INT's

Cam Newton - 10.1 YPA

Akili Smith - 10.1 YPA

Cam Newton - 6'5', 250 4.5 (range)

Akili Smith - 6'3" , 220 4.6 (range)

Akili Smith played in Jeff Tedford's offense when he used a pro style... Akili was taking snaps from under center, dropping back, and reading defenses.

Anyone that doesn't think Akili Smith was a better prospect than Cam Newton doesn't remember Akili Smith.

The fact of the matter is, you're going to find at least one cautionary tale with every single QB that comes out of the Draft...from here to forever. Every single one.

One thing I remember about Akili Smith was his fabled 38 on the wonderlic.

Exactly.

Cam Newton - 1 year starter

Akili Smith - 1 year starter

Cam Newton - 30 TD's - 7 INT's

Akili Smith - 30 TD's - 7 INT's

Cam Newton - 10.1 YPA

Akili Smith - 10.1 YPA

Cam Newton - 6'5', 250 4.5 (range)

Akili Smith - 6'3" , 220 4.6 (range)

Akili Smith played in Jeff Tedford's offense when he used a pro style... Akili was taking snaps from under center, dropping back, and reading defenses.

Anyone that doesn't think Akili Smith was a better prospect than Cam Newton doesn't remember Akili Smith.

somebody tried to tell me earlier that cam newtons college career record was 25-1....

Back
Top Bottom