The Restructurings Are All In Now Including Armstead And Some Other Big Names | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Restructurings Are All In Now Including Armstead And Some Other Big Names

phinsforlife

Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Armstead in addition to the list below. Will be interesting when we get all the details. Will they be OK, or really just shoving a lot of the problem into the future due to the cap hole we had to dig out of? Did we make longer commitments to certain players like Armstead to get these done as well? I also wonder why these were not done and announced sooner so we would have a cleaner start today? Wonder if the Dolphins felt some pressure given how things went today and caved in some spots where they were reluctant going into FA? I guess we need all the details before coming to conclusions, so can fill in the blanks here as the details come in.

Miami got under the cap and cleared $28.7 million in cap space by restructuring the contracts of cornerback Jalen Ramsey, defensive lineman Zach Sieler, fullback Alec Ingold and tight end Durham Smythe, according to NFL Network. Contract restructures typically involve a team converting base salary to a signing bonus, which is then prorated over multiple years to lower a player’s cap hit. While it provides short-term relief, it increases future cap hits, which can backfire if a player struggles or deals with injury.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286561165.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Armstead should not have been restructured. That’s gonna be a
Huge cap hit in 2 years. Hoping they don’t restructure Chubb

Armstead should not have been restructured. That’s gonna be a
Huge cap hit in 2 years. Hoping they don’t restructure Chubb
that is my instinct. need to see the details of everything in total. and i still have no idea until they waited until the close of business today to do this stuff.

Armstead was holding all the cards because of his desire to retire which would have hurt our cap bad. The others listed here, Ingold, Smythe, etc are not willing to walk away from their contracts. We had to do something with Armstead.

Armstead in addition to the list below. Will be interesting when we get all the details. Will they be OK, or really just shoving a lot of the problem into the future due to the cap hole we had to dig out of? Did we make longer commitments to certain players like Armstead to get these done as well? I also wonder why these were not done and announced sooner so we would have a cleaner start today? Wonder if the Dolphins felt some pressure given how things went today and caved in some spots where they were reluctant going into FA? I guess we need all the details before coming to conclusions, so can fill in the blanks here as the details come in.

Miami got under the cap and cleared $28.7 million in cap space by restructuring the contracts of cornerback Jalen Ramsey, defensive lineman Zach Sieler, fullback Alec Ingold and tight end Durham Smythe, according to NFL Network. Contract restructures typically involve a team converting base salary to a signing bonus, which is then prorated over multiple years to lower a player’s cap hit. While it provides short-term relief, it increases future cap hits, which can backfire if a player struggles or deals with injury.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286561165.html#storylink=cpy

I’m not sure going forward is as bad as you make it out to be;

The real money that’ll get the Dolphins into the green will come from restructuring and extending some of the team’s top earners.

In this instance, owner Stephen Ross has to reach into one of his billion-dollar pockets and cut some fat checks up front as signing bonuses. Those bonuses get prorated through the rest of the player’s contracts, plus two void years if needed.

Restructuring players like Tyreek Hill can be considered kicking the can down the road, but as long as the players you restructure are the ones you plan on keeping, it’ll be an easier pill to swallow.

The last thing you want are dead money cap hits for players no longer on the team, such as the $10 million cap hit in 2024 for Byron Jones.

Presently, the Dolphins are $78.2 million under the 2025 cap and $114 million under the 2026 cap, so if there was ever a stretch of road to kick the can toward, it’s here.

• Tyreek Hill: +$12.5 million (Restructure/Extend)
  • Jalen Ramsey: +18.6 million (Restructure/Extend)
  • Terron Armstead: +$8.4 million (Restructure)
  • Zach Sieler: +$5.5 million (Restructure)
  • Bradley Chubb: +$14 million (Restructure)
  • Jason Sanders: +2 million (Restructure)
  • Tua Tagovailoa: +10 million (Extend)
Miami Dolphins Salary Cap Starting Free Agency: +$43.6 million

People are so ready to jump on CG they’re blinded by reality.

We are still missing the salaries of the following:
Barrett
Brewer
Fortson
Fuller
Hand
Harris
Robert Jones
Benito Jones
Neal
Needham
Poyer

This is my question. Can anyone do the math? I am a numbers guy, and I still cannot figure this one out. Not only that, I have asked people that should know, and they still cannot figure it all out. Going into FA, they were $20mm over the cap. To free up $20mm of space, they would have had to clear $40mm. But I think they have now spent more than $40mm, unless a lot of the new deals push more money into 2025. Unclear to me if the Armstead deal has actually already been re-done or not and is in the numbers. So I guess the questions are this:
-How did they pull off what they did? How much money was freed up, and what did they spend?
-Is the Armstead deal done yet, and what happened, and how much did it free up this year?
-Is there currently anything left to spend or are they now dead until June when the $16mm from X man frees up?
-Then, the $16mm only maybe gets them $6-$8mm because I think they need to reserve $8mm-$10mm for the draft class and in season contingencies
-But on top of that, they could find more money from Tyreek Hill and maybe $10mm from Tua's new deal
-IF they can free up money, IF there is a good center/guard left at that point, I would love to see them sign that player, that way they can go into the draft not desperate at any single position and could go BPA

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my question. Can anyone do the math? I am an aspergery numbers guy, and I still cannot figure this one out. Not only that, I have asked people that should know, and they still cannot figure it all out. Going into FA, they were $20mm over the cap. To free up $20mm of space, they would have had to clear $40mm. But I think they have now spent more than $40mm, unless a lot of the new deals push more money into 2025. Unclear to me if the Armstead deal has actually already been re-done or not and is in the numbers. So I guess the questions are this:
-How did they pull off what they did? How much money was freed up, and what did they spend?
-Is the Armstead deal done yet, and what happened, and how much did it free up this year?
-Is there currently anything left to spend or are they now dead until June when the $16mm from X man frees up?
-Then, the $16mm only maybe gets them $6-$8mm because I think they need to reserve $8mm-$10mm for the draft class and in season contingencies
-But on top of that, they could find more money from Tyreek Hill and maybe $10mm from Tua's new deal
-IF they can free up money, IF there is a good center/guard left at that point, I would love to see them sign that player, that way they can go into the draft not desperate at any single position and could go BPA

Stop thinking and enjoy it. The SC is all bullshit anyways.

I worry that we are going further and further down the slippery slope to "cap hell".
I wish Chubb's contract was more team friendly so we could cut him. Not a fan of his contract. He is grossly overpaid.

Back
Top Bottom