The Restructurings Are All In Now Including Armstead And Some Other Big Names | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Restructurings Are All In Now Including Armstead And Some Other Big Names

This is my question. Can anyone do the math? I am an aspergery numbers guy, and I still cannot figure this one out. Not only that, I have asked people that should know, and they still cannot figure it all out. Going into FA, they were $20mm over the cap. To free up $20mm of space, they would have had to clear $40mm. But I think they have now spent more than $40mm, unless a lot of the new deals push more money into 2025. Unclear to me if the Armstead deal has actually already been re-done or not and is in the numbers. So I guess the questions are this:
-How did they pull off what they did? How much money was freed up, and what did they spend?
-Is the Armstead deal done yet, and what happened, and how much did it free up this year?
-Is there currently anything left to spend or are they now dead until June when the $16mm from X man frees up?
-Then, the $16mm only maybe gets them $6-$8mm because I think they need to reserve $8mm-$10mm for the draft class and in season contingencies
-But on top of that, they could find more money from Tyreek Hill and maybe $10mm from Tua's new deal
-IF they can free up money, IF there is a good center/guard left at that point, I would love to see them sign that player, that way they can go into the draft not desperate at any single position and could go BPA
I have a PhD in nuclear physics and I can’t do “NFL” math. You need specialized NFL accountants to pretend they are doing things in a proper fashion.

So where exactly does Miami stand cap wise right now? Does it include their newly signed F/A's?
OTC have us at 4.5mill under but it doesn’t include several players like brewer,barnett,Poyer and several others Fuller too

OTC have us at 4.5mill under but it doesn’t include several players like brewer,barnett,Poyer and several others
That might require Miami to find more money. Like a Tyreek restructure or extension. Something I thought they'd have done by now. Apparently an extension would be much better cap wise than a restructure for Hill.

This is my question. Can anyone do the math? I am an aspergery numbers guy, and I still cannot figure this one out. Not only that, I have asked people that should know, and they still cannot figure it all out. Going into FA, they were $20mm over the cap. To free up $20mm of space, they would have had to clear $40mm. But I think they have now spent more than $40mm, unless a lot of the new deals push more money into 2025. Unclear to me if the Armstead deal has actually already been re-done or not and is in the numbers. So I guess the questions are this:
-How did they pull off what they did? How much money was freed up, and what did they spend?
-Is the Armstead deal done yet, and what happened, and how much did it free up this year?
-Is there currently anything left to spend or are they now dead until June when the $16mm from X man frees up?
-Then, the $16mm only maybe gets them $6-$8mm because I think they need to reserve $8mm-$10mm for the draft class and in season contingencies
-But on top of that, they could find more money from Tyreek Hill and maybe $10mm from Tua's new deal
-IF they can free up money, IF there is a good center/guard left at that point, I would love to see them sign that player, that way they can go into the draft not desperate at any single position and could go BPA
Please don't throw terms like "aspergery" around like that, my son has Asperger's. I always knew that you being being from San Diego meant you "sprechen sie douche" (see GIF below) , why don't you finally crawl back in that whale's vagina you fell out of and heave ho, GTFOH!!!!!! Freaking over this clown.....

B7H.gif

last thing they want to is is restructure Chubb
Well....if they can pull this off and get him to take less money...not so bad. The Armstead restructure was just announced. I think they did ok, lowered his salary and not stuck with him longer, unless I am missing something?

The details on Terron Armstead’s restructure are in, and the Dolphins ended up saving $10 million in cap space this season, with his cap number shrinking from $20.8 million to $10.6 million, per overthecap.com. Armstead agreed to a $4.25 million pay cut for 2024. His restructured agreement includes a $7.3 million signing bonus and $10 million in guarantees. His $13.3 million and $12.3 million salaries in 2025 and 2026 aren’t guaranteed.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286107171.html#storylink=cpy

The hope is the Tyreek restructure/extension along with Tua's extension added to Howard's June 1st addition, should allow Miami to carry over a significant amount of money into 2025.

So where exactly does Miami stand cap wise right now? Does it include their newly signed F/A's?
that was my question. i think we are now tapped out. still amazed they were able to find the money they did

The hope is the Tyreek restructure/extension along with Tua's extension added to Howard's June 1st addition, should allow Miami to carry over a significant amount of money into 2025.
my view is i would like them to use some of that money on a bonafide starter at center or guard if there is one left, so they can go into the draft and target the best player available. also i dont want to rely on a rook to start on the OL

Here is more, key section is the signings after may 1 do NOT count against the compensatory pick formula, so in my view fingers crossed for the guard/center so we can go into the draft and take the BPA. I am a big fan of taking the BPA. when you draft for need, you tend to reach, and sometimes you skip over a generational prospect, like micah parsons falling to 11 because the teams ahead were drafting for need. granted, picking at 21 this is less of an issue, but on the other hand, still important to have flexibility when at that spot

1). Miami now has more future cap flexibility to keep Tua Tagovailoa, Jaylen Waddle, Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland. The Dolphins also created room to fill four or five needs in the salary slot that Raiders-bound Christian Wilkins would have otherwise consumed. 2). The Dolphins are positioned to snag several compensatory draft picks. Per overthecap.com’s Nick Korte, Miami should be receiving a third-round 2025 compensatory pick for losing Wilkins to Las Vegas and another 2025 third-round compensatory pick for losing Robert Hunt to Carolina. Korte also projects that the Dolphins should receive a seventh-round 2025 compensatory pick for losing DeShon Elliott to Pittsburgh. The Dolphins were poised to land a 2025 sixth-round compensatory pick for losing Brandon Jones to Denver, but Korte said that was canceled out by the signing of cornerback Kendall Fuller (a small price to pay for a starting cornerback). Though the Dolphins’ decisions aren’t being fueled primarily by the compensatory pick dynamic, they have capitalized on the rules. They’ve signed several ‘street’ free agents – meaning players who were cut and did not become free agents simply because their contracts expired. Those street free agents don’t count against the team signing them. Tight end Jonnu Smith and safety Jordan Poyer are among the Dolphins’ street free agent pickups. Also, restricted free agents who weren’t tendered by their former teams also don’t count in the NFL’s compensatory pick formula. So Miami wasn’t penalized for its signing of Denver defensive end Jonathan Harris on Thursday night. Also keep this in mind: Veteran free agents signed after May 1 do not count against the compensatory pick formula. Miami likely will be active in free agency this summer, because the $18.5 million in space cleared by Xavien Howard’s release will become available to the Dolphins on June 1. Barring an unforeseen and unlikely free agent spending splurge, the Dolphins are now poised to have five picks in the first three rounds of the 2025 Draft. The Dolphins have their own first, second and third round picks next year.

Read more at: https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article286107171.html#storylink=cpy

for the record, I'm sure they have a plan in place to get all the new players under contract but they must be waiting on something......they could still cut players like Wilson and Duke which would create close to 6mill......they could be working on the Tua extension which they can use to lower his cap hit.....none of the players have back off from coming here or else we'd have probably heard that by now so they must know the team is waiting to create the cap space.....it's just hard waiting for all of us cause we don’t know what the deal is

Here is more, key section is the signings after may 1 do NOT count against the compensatory pick formula, so in my view fingers crossed for the guard/center so we can go into the draft and take the BPA. I am a big fan of taking the BPA. when you draft for need, you tend to reach, and sometimes you skip over a generational prospect, like micah parsons falling to 11 because the teams ahead were drafting for need. granted, picking at 21 this is less of an issue, but on the other hand, still important to have flexibility when at that spot

1). Miami now has more future cap flexibility to keep Tua Tagovailoa, Jaylen Waddle, Jaelan Phillips and Jevon Holland. The Dolphins also created room to fill four or five needs in the salary slot that Raiders-bound Christian Wilkins would have otherwise consumed. 2). The Dolphins are positioned to snag several compensatory draft picks. Per overthecap.com’s Nick Korte, Miami should be receiving a third-round 2025 compensatory pick for losing Wilkins to Las Vegas and another 2025 third-round compensatory pick for losing Robert Hunt to Carolina. Korte also projects that the Dolphins should receive a seventh-round 2025 compensatory pick for losing DeShon Elliott to Pittsburgh. The Dolphins were poised to land a 2025 sixth-round compensatory pick for losing Brandon Jones to Denver, but Korte said that was canceled out by the signing of cornerback Kendall Fuller (a small price to pay for a starting cornerback). Though the Dolphins’ decisions aren’t being fueled primarily by the compensatory pick dynamic, they have capitalized on the rules. They’ve signed several ‘street’ free agents – meaning players who were cut and did not become free agents simply because their contracts expired. Those street free agents don’t count against the team signing them. Tight end Jonnu Smith and safety Jordan Poyer are among the Dolphins’ street free agent pickups. Also, restricted free agents who weren’t tendered by their former teams also don’t count in the NFL’s compensatory pick formula. So Miami wasn’t penalized for its signing of Denver defensive end Jonathan Harris on Thursday night. Also keep this in mind: Veteran free agents signed after May 1 do not count against the compensatory pick formula. Miami likely will be active in free agency this summer, because the $18.5 million in space cleared by Xavien Howard’s release will become available to the Dolphins on June 1. Barring an unforeseen and unlikely free agent spending splurge, the Dolphins are now poised to have five picks in the first three rounds of the 2025 Draft. The Dolphins have their own first, second and third round picks next year.

Good point about May 1st. If Dalton Riser is still out there I'd love Miami to try and sign him.

One of the places I go in trying to understand the Cap is: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

One of the things I have learned is it is only the top 51 salaries count towards the salary cap. As a result, Miami is roughly $4 Mill under the cap under the Xavien Howard cut adds $18 Mill.

Currently, it is projected we will receive two 3rd round compensatory picks for the loss of Hunt and Wilkins. I think Miami has a high value on those and will probably steer clear of signing someone who will wipe those off the board.

One of the places I go in trying to understand the Cap is: https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

One of the things I have learned is it is only the top 51 salaries count towards the salary cap. As a result, Miami is roughly $4 Mill under the cap under the Xavien Howard cut adds $18 Mill.

Currently, it is projected we will receive two 3rd round compensatory picks for the loss of Hunt and Wilkins. I think Miami has a high value on those and will probably steer clear of signing someone who will wipe those off the board.
yes that is right. do u know if those numbers are fully updated? because they show a few other teams over the cap, which i am not sure you are allowed to be? anyway regardles, I would love to see it all laid out. they must have created about $50mm plus of additional space already given they started $20mm over the cap right before FA started. wish someone could just publish a simple table that shows what they did

Back
Top Bottom