The Sean Smith Debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Sean Smith Debate

SF Dolphin Fan

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest mistakes teams make in free agency in overvaluing their own talent. Which brings me to Sean Smith. You can watch the Dolphins three times and come away with three different thoughts on Smith. He can look like a potential elite CB one week, average the next, and one of the worst in the league the next. So what is he? That's the real debate here. I think he still has some upside and might be okay if the team gets a legit shutdown guy opposite him. But, I think I'd go in another direction. Convince me I'm wrong.

I realize that not signing Smith means the team likely has to take two corners in their first three picks of the draft (or pay big for a FA). I'm okay with that if Miami can sign a guy like Mike Wallace to take some pressure off getting a wide receiver in the draft. There's some real good talent in the draft guys like Banks and Rhodes could be had in R1, maybe even with a slight trade down. Trufant is a borderline #1 and a player I really like.

Do we keep Smith or go in a different direction?

I appreciate your mixed opinion on Sean Smith. I would retain him for a team friendly contract only. I think we have too many other "holes" to fill to let an above average CB leave our system. I would still draft a CB with the first or second picks. In addition, I would look for another "acorn" in free agency. I agree, we must land a top 3 receiver in free agency (my choice: Jennings > Bowe > Wallace) and draft a young speedster. I think Wallace is too expensive and just pure speed.

Pay big for Keenan Lewis, who I think is 100% worth it. And draft a couple guys. That's my ideal scenario.

But I'm probably with duper, here. I can't imagine a team offering Smith the #1CB money he's looking for. We have so many holes at the most important positions (WR, LT, TE, pass rusher, CB even with Smith). Outside of QB, those are the big-time positions in the NFL today, and we are lacking in all of them.

In short, he is inconsistent. He lost us the Arizona game last year by getting his ankles broke on the last play in regulation. Anything more than $4 mil a year is over paying. His production can be replaced by almost any FA CB....what does he have 4 or 5 ints in his career? I don't want to even talk about his tackling.

There is no debate here."NO WAY" is he worth what he's asking.Get the bus to wait,so Sean will have a ride with Jake......

I think you have to ask yourself is Smith worth keeping around for supposedly $7 million a season. I just think he is too inconsistent. We need someone who isn't going to get beat as much, and a guy who can make some nice picks. I would draft CB Darius Slay of Mississippi State and let Smith go.

I look at guys like Marshall and Patterson getting around $5M as slot covers, and see Smith as much better than both, understanding that this does not make him good, let alone VG.

IF a contending team, with VG surrounding DB's, sees him the missing piece in covering big WR's, he could get a big deal. More likely, the current NFL cap situation kicks in, and he is worth in the $6M range (give or take), depending on incentives and guaranteed money.

I would like to keep Smith at a fair price, as I do not like the options of replacing two CB's.

I think if he would sign for 5 a year, then he could play #2 and some nickel against taller players that would be ok. But he should not be paid or played as a #1 cb.

Let him walk. People saying keep him because then we will need two CB's is crazy. When keep crap like smith around you cant expect to be better. Let him go and find somebody else. He is average at best so why would you expect our pass coverage to be any better than average with this guy. Im sick of Miami keeping jokers like Smith around year after year and the fins continue to be mediocre. Go get some tough hard nosed CB's and let Mr Softy hit the trail. Keeping Smith at any price would puke me to the fullest. Giving him anything would set an example that we are satisfied with average.

In short, he is inconsistent. He lost us the Arizona game last year by getting his ankles broke on the last play in regulation. Anything more than $4 mil a year is over paying. His production can be replaced by almost any FA CB....what does he have 4 or 5 ints in his career? I don't want to even talk about his tackling.

True he cost us the game in the end, but we weren;t in that game without his pick in the end zone. that was a beautiful play, too bad he also has ones like the dropped INT when he had the ball then just decided to fall on the ball. The lack of plays that we get out of the secondary is a real concern for me. That has to change if we are going to make a run at anything. How I miss the days of Surtain and Madison.

I think you have to ask yourself is Smith worth keeping around for supposedly $7 million a season. I just think he is too inconsistent. We need someone who isn't going to get beat as much, and a guy who can make some nice picks. I would draft CB Darius Slay of Mississippi State and let Smith go.
I like Slay. Maybe we can get both cb's from Mississippi St.

Let him walk. People saying keep him because then we will need two CB's is crazy. When keep crap like smith around you cant expect to be better. Let him go and find somebody else. He is average at best so why would you expect our pass coverage to be any better than average with this guy. Im sick of Miami keeping jokers like Smith around year after year and the fins continue to be mediocre. Go get some tough hard nosed CB's and let Mr Softy hit the trail. Keeping Smith at any price would puke me to the fullest. Giving him anything would set an example that we are satisfied with average.
I agree with this. I know it's unrealistic to get elite or even good players at every position, but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't strive to do that.

No debate. For the amount of money he wants, I'll drive him to the airport. Even for $3M per year, he might be one that you would part ways with to free up a little money. No way he gets the same money as a Revis.

We're talking about a FOUR year veteran at the CB position and STILL calling him wildly inconsistent. He should be in his prime right now, there is no upside left to be had...he has played too many downs of football, he isn't changing. Give me Desmond Trufant in the draft and Derek Cox in free agency.

Back
Top Bottom