The Sean Smith Debate

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by SF Dolphin Fan, Feb 9, 2013.

1. SF Dolphin Fan

SF Dolphin Fan Seasoned Veteran

One of the biggest mistakes teams make in free agency in overvaluing their own talent. Which brings me to Sean Smith. You can watch the Dolphins three times and come away with three different thoughts on Smith. He can look like a potential elite CB one week, average the next, and one of the worst in the league the next. So what is he? That's the real debate here. I think he still has some upside and might be okay if the team gets a legit shutdown guy opposite him. But, I think I'd go in another direction. Convince me I'm wrong.

I realize that not signing Smith means the team likely has to take two corners in their first three picks of the draft (or pay big for a FA). I'm okay with that if Miami can sign a guy like Mike Wallace to take some pressure off getting a wide receiver in the draft. There's some real good talent in the draft guys like Banks and Rhodes could be had in R1, maybe even with a slight trade down. Trufant is a borderline #1 and a player I really like.

Do we keep Smith or go in a different direction?

2. claytonduper

claytonduper Starter

I appreciate your mixed opinion on Sean Smith. I would retain him for a team friendly contract only. I think we have too many other "holes" to fill to let an above average CB leave our system. I would still draft a CB with the first or second picks. In addition, I would look for another "acorn" in free agency. I agree, we must land a top 3 receiver in free agency (my choice: Jennings > Bowe > Wallace) and draft a young speedster. I think Wallace is too expensive and just pure speed.

3. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

Pay big for Keenan Lewis, who I think is 100% worth it. And draft a couple guys. That's my ideal scenario.

But I'm probably with duper, here. I can't imagine a team offering Smith the #1CB money he's looking for. We have so many holes at the most important positions (WR, LT, TE, pass rusher, CB even with Smith). Outside of QB, those are the big-time positions in the NFL today, and we are lacking in all of them.

4. 67Stang

67Stang FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

In short, he is inconsistent. He lost us the Arizona game last year by getting his ankles broke on the last play in regulation. Anything more than $4 mil a year is over paying. His production can be replaced by almost any FA CB....what does he have 4 or 5 ints in his career? I don't want to even talk about his tackling.

5. aquaman54

aquaman54 Starter

There is no debate here."NO WAY" is he worth what he's asking.Get the bus to wait,so Sean will have a ride with Jake......

6. RockyMtnPhinfan

RockyMtnPhinfan A True Fan Donator

Time to move on............the kid has had four years to become consistent. NEXT

7. Roman529

Roman529 Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

I think you have to ask yourself is Smith worth keeping around for supposedly $7 million a season. I just think he is too inconsistent. We need someone who isn't going to get beat as much, and a guy who can make some nice picks. I would draft CB Darius Slay of Mississippi State and let Smith go.

8. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I look at guys like Marshall and Patterson getting around $5M as slot covers, and see Smith as much better than both, understanding that this does not make him good, let alone VG.

IF a contending team, with VG surrounding DB's, sees him the missing piece in covering big WR's, he could get a big deal. More likely, the current NFL cap situation kicks in, and he is worth in the $6M range (give or take), depending on incentives and guaranteed money.

I would like to keep Smith at a fair price, as I do not like the options of replacing two CB's.

9. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

I think if he would sign for 5 a year, then he could play #2 and some nickel against taller players that would be ok. But he should not be paid or played as a #1 cb.

10. BAdkins159

BAdkins159 Well-Known Member

Let him walk. People saying keep him because then we will need two CB's is crazy. When keep crap like smith around you cant expect to be better. Let him go and find somebody else. He is average at best so why would you expect our pass coverage to be any better than average with this guy. Im sick of Miami keeping jokers like Smith around year after year and the fins continue to be mediocre. Go get some tough hard nosed CB's and let Mr Softy hit the trail. Keeping Smith at any price would puke me to the fullest. Giving him anything would set an example that we are satisfied with average.

11. maralieus

maralieus Lets get those balls deep!!

True he cost us the game in the end, but we weren;t in that game without his pick in the end zone. that was a beautiful play, too bad he also has ones like the dropped INT when he had the ball then just decided to fall on the ball. The lack of plays that we get out of the secondary is a real concern for me. That has to change if we are going to make a run at anything. How I miss the days of Surtain and Madison.

12. SF Dolphin Fan

I like Slay. Maybe we can get both cb's from Mississippi St.

13. SF Dolphin Fan

I agree with this. I know it's unrealistic to get elite or even good players at every position, but that doesn't mean the team shouldn't strive to do that.

14. TealAttack13

TealAttack13 A True Fan

No debate. For the amount of money he wants, I'll drive him to the airport. Even for $3M per year, he might be one that you would part ways with to free up a little money. No way he gets the same money as a Revis.

15. AFCMiamiEast

AFCMiamiEast A True Fan

We're talking about a FOUR year veteran at the CB position and STILL calling him wildly inconsistent. He should be in his prime right now, there is no upside left to be had...he has played too many downs of football, he isn't changing. Give me Desmond Trufant in the draft and Derek Cox in free agency.

16. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

just read how far apart sean smith a ireland are apart from each other. the dude wants 10 mil. I cant beleive there is no outrage like Hartiline got.

shows peoples priorities of talent.

17. FinSince1971

FinSince1971 FinSince1971

Yo! I would bet money Smith isn't here next year. If you aren't getting picks or making impact plays like big hits that force fumbles, strips, etc..... you're not good enough. This team's draft is all WRs, DBs and O lineman

From HTC 1 X

18. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

19. Kwill

Kwill Rookie

We don't have a choice, but pay Smith. We don't have a replacement

20. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

we didnt have a replacement for Vontae but we traded him anyway so what else is new. And no Richard Marshall was not a replacement, never been a good starting corner

21. shanegerard

shanegerard Scout Team

The only reason to pay him is because we are way under the cap and all it will mean to let him walk is our billionaire owner saves some money.

22. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

we have to spend money to some degree so he really wont pocket more from not signing him, dont worry when the public chips in tax money, and the nfl then somehow extends money he will save a ton

23. royalshank

royalshank Scout Team Finheaven VIP Donator

Couldn't agree more. I don't think we should be offering him any contract. He stinks. Even if he was willing to play for league minimum I wouldn't re-sign him. His stats are horrendous over his career. 5 INTs in 64 GS. Gave up more FDs and TDs than any starting corner in football this year. Soft tackler. I don't unDerstand why we even talk about this guy. He's a bum!

24. JDRA20

JDRA20 Well-Known Member

Please never pursue your dreams of becoming an NFL GM.

25. MrEd

MrEd A True Fan

I think the Sean Smith issue is a simple one. Is he better than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If he is? You pay the man. If he isn't? Let him walk and you replace him with Rodgers-Cromartie with the same amount it will cost to keep Smith.

So we have one spot covered. You then, restructure Dimitri Patterson to man the NB spot and draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. That rookie then competes with Marshall for the other starting spot and if the rookie is a legitimate starter, you dump Marshall and his salary, as his back is sure to become a nagging problem eventually.

So that's 3 CB spots covered. You draft another CB in the late rounds to compete with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford, and McCann. And that rounds out the CBs.

Wilson may be moved back to SS to compete with McCray, Amaya, and a late draft pick to backup Jones and either Clemons or if we decide to draft Vaccaro.

It's really not that hard to fix our defensive backfield.

26. royalshank

Nice. I just don't like the guy. Inability to make plays - whether they be in the passing game, running game etc. 5 years and not 1 game altering play. How is he "elite" money?

27. dcnr226

dcnr226 A True Fan Donator

We are going to let Sean Smith walk and some team will over pay for his services, and while he was brutal in zone coverage, if goes to a team that is legitimately able to get consistent pressure on the qb, thus allowing him to play press, he's going to shine.

When he does, it's going to suck for us. But there is no way you give him big $ with the way our team is currently constituted. I could see the Giants making a play for him..

28. royalshank

While I agree he is better in press coverage - mainly against the bigger, more physical (and slower) WRs, a team with a consistent pass rush will make average CBs look pretty good. Trouble is, I'm not sure Smith is even average. He just cannot seem to EVER make a play that matters. And someone should take Twitter away from him...

29. fishbanger

fishbanger Phin fan since 1970!

Who is the better CB vontae davis or sean smith? Why let the better one go and keep Smith for 7M a year. Not going to happen at that price.

30. DzakkH13

DzakkH13 Winning is a Habit Donator

The Sean Smith situation is an easy one to figure out.

He is an elite CB (top 15) when he plays man/press coverage againt physical WRs.
    He is an average CB when asked to play man/press coverage on smaller quicker WRs.
    He is below average at play zone coverage agaunst any WR.

The Dolphins like him, but not for anything close to what he is asking for ($8 million per season).

The coaches want a CB with some versatility. They want a CB who plays well in both man and zone.

My guess is someone pays Sean close to what he is asking for. He can thrive in a specific type of defense.

I don't think Sean Smith will be with the Dolphins in 2013 unless Sean is willing to pay for a lot less than what he is asking for.

31. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

Smith will be back, he is the sort of player much more highly thought of by NFL staff than fans.

32. gofins60

gofins60 A True Fan

We already have one of the worst passing defense in the league... so it won't matter if it stays poor for one more season. Even with a porous secondary, the defense was incredibly stingy with points allowed. We lost too many games not because of the CB play, but because our offense couldn't score points! Fix the offense this year (get playmakers who can score points), and replace Smith with a FA or a rookie. Then, if needed, we can concentrate on the CB position next year.

33. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

We would probably be keeping him if we didnt have these picks. But since we do, Ireland is going to draft one to play and one to learn and get time by game 10.

We really need to get a CB with the first 3 picks imo.

The one thing Sean Smith was consistent with is playing slow as in his hips and tackling is bad.

34. CSONKA1966

CSONKA1966 Well-Known Member

Left Smith walk ,you can get 2 good starters for the price of smith. Grimes is coming off injury and would probably sign a 1 or 2 yr deal to prove he is healthy ,and you can add someone like Houston ,or Cox from Jacksonville . This way you position your self to have 2 good cbs for the price of one

35. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

I get real sick and tired of Sean Smith playing like a total wuss. He's 218 pounds for crying out loud. He needs to hit some receivers instead of dancing around with them. Hope he's gone from our team!!!

36. Fintastic2124

Fintastic2124 A True Fan

If he wants to get paid like top flight corner he should've gotten more turnovers. That's what the best corners do! It's obviously.

37. Miamibyrd

Miamibyrd Well-Known Member

I agree he has killed us over the years by not getting the turnovers.

38. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Not getting turnovers, not tackling or hitting any receivers, taking poor angles, getting toasted etc. etc. etc.

39. Strangeworld

Strangeworld A True Fan

He is a flat out bum.... Drive him to the airport please and ship his *** out of town.