The Sean Smith Debate | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The Sean Smith Debate

just read how far apart sean smith a ireland are apart from each other. the dude wants 10 mil. I cant beleive there is no outrage like Hartiline got.

shows peoples priorities of talent.

Yo! I would bet money Smith isn't here next year. If you aren't getting picks or making impact plays like big hits that force fumbles, strips, etc..... you're not good enough. This team's draft is all WRs, DBs and O lineman

From HTC 1 X

I look at guys like Marshall and Patterson getting around $5M as slot covers, and see Smith as much better than both, understanding that this does not make him good, let alone VG.

IF a contending team, with VG surrounding DB's, sees him the missing piece in covering big WR's, he could get a big deal. More likely, the current NFL cap situation kicks in, and he is worth in the $6M range (give or take), depending on incentives and guaranteed money.

Just because teams were stupid enough to overpay these guys doesnt mean we should overpay to keep smith. Im ok with 6 million though. 3 years 18 million is a good one to me.Personally I would rather have kept Davis

We don't have a choice, but pay Smith. We don't have a replacement

We don't have a choice, but pay Smith. We don't have a replacement

we didnt have a replacement for Vontae but we traded him anyway so what else is new. And no Richard Marshall was not a replacement, never been a good starting corner

The only reason to pay him is because we are way under the cap and all it will mean to let him walk is our billionaire owner saves some money.

The only reason to pay him is because we are way under the cap and all it will mean to let him walk is our billionaire owner saves some money.

we have to spend money to some degree so he really wont pocket more from not signing him, dont worry when the public chips in tax money, and the nfl then somehow extends money he will save a ton

Let him walk. People saying keep him because then we will need two CB's is crazy. When keep crap like smith around you cant expect to be better. Let him go and find somebody else. He is average at best so why would you expect our pass coverage to be any better than average with this guy. Im sick of Miami keeping jokers like Smith around year after year and the fins continue to be mediocre. Go get some tough hard nosed CB's and let Mr Softy hit the trail. Keeping Smith at any price would puke me to the fullest. Giving him anything would set an example that we are satisfied with average.

Couldn't agree more. I don't think we should be offering him any contract. He stinks. Even if he was willing to play for league minimum I wouldn't re-sign him. His stats are horrendous over his career. 5 INTs in 64 GS. Gave up more FDs and TDs than any starting corner in football this year. Soft tackler. I don't unDerstand why we even talk about this guy. He's a bum!

Couldn't agree more. I don't think we should be offering him any contract. He stinks. Even if he was willing to play for league minimum I wouldn't re-sign him. His stats are horrendous over his career. 5 INTs in 64 GS. Gave up more FDs and TDs than any starting corner in football this year. Soft tackler. I don't unDerstand why we even talk about this guy. He's a bum!

Please never pursue your dreams of becoming an NFL GM.

I think the Sean Smith issue is a simple one. Is he better than Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. If he is? You pay the man. If he isn't? Let him walk and you replace him with Rodgers-Cromartie with the same amount it will cost to keep Smith.

So we have one spot covered. You then, restructure Dimitri Patterson to man the NB spot and draft a CB in the 1st or 2nd round. That rookie then competes with Marshall for the other starting spot and if the rookie is a legitimate starter, you dump Marshall and his salary, as his back is sure to become a nagging problem eventually.

So that's 3 CB spots covered. You draft another CB in the late rounds to compete with Carroll, Wilson, Stanford, and McCann. And that rounds out the CBs.

Wilson may be moved back to SS to compete with McCray, Amaya, and a late draft pick to backup Jones and either Clemons or if we decide to draft Vaccaro.

It's really not that hard to fix our defensive backfield.

Please never pursue your dreams of becoming an NFL GM.
Nice. I just don't like the guy. Inability to make plays - whether they be in the passing game, running game etc. 5 years and not 1 game altering play. How is he "elite" money?

We are going to let Sean Smith walk and some team will over pay for his services, and while he was brutal in zone coverage, if goes to a team that is legitimately able to get consistent pressure on the qb, thus allowing him to play press, he's going to shine.

When he does, it's going to suck for us. But there is no way you give him big $ with the way our team is currently constituted. I could see the Giants making a play for him..

We are going to let Sean Smith walk and some team will over pay for his services, and while he was brutal in zone coverage, if goes to a team that is legitimately able to get consistent pressure on the qb, thus allowing him to play press, he's going to shine.

When he does, it's going to suck for us. But there is no way you give him big $ with the way our team is currently constituted. I could see the Giants making a play for him..
While I agree he is better in press coverage - mainly against the bigger, more physical (and slower) WRs, a team with a consistent pass rush will make average CBs look pretty good. Trouble is, I'm not sure Smith is even average. He just cannot seem to EVER make a play that matters. And someone should take Twitter away from him...

Who is the better CB vontae davis or sean smith? Why let the better one go and keep Smith for 7M a year. Not going to happen at that price.

The Sean Smith situation is an easy one to figure out.

He is an elite CB (top 15) when he plays man/press coverage againt physical WRs.
He is an average CB when asked to play man/press coverage on smaller quicker WRs.
He is below average at play zone coverage agaunst any WR.

The Dolphins like him, but not for anything close to what he is asking for ($8 million per season).

The coaches want a CB with some versatility. They want a CB who plays well in both man and zone.

My guess is someone pays Sean close to what he is asking for. He can thrive in a specific type of defense.

I don't think Sean Smith will be with the Dolphins in 2013 unless Sean is willing to pay for a lot less than what he is asking for.

Back
Top Bottom