The "Whatever Happened To...?" Thread.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

The "Whatever Happened To...?" Thread....

texasPHINSfan

Pro Bowl
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where dolfans can ask "whatever happened to so-and-so", and maybe the old dolfans can tell us what happened to those players - whether they retired, were injured and just retired early, traded, free agents, sucked so bad we wouldn't resign them, victim of the salary cap, etc....

I have a couple i've wanted to know about.

*Scott Schwedes
*Brett Perriman (i remember he used to make sick catches)
*OJ McDuffie (he used to be so awesome, what happened?)
*Kareem Abdul Jabbar
*Bernie Parmalee
*Irving Spikes
*Nate Jacquet
*Troy Drayton (this guy was bad-a$$ in his day i remember - what happened?)
*Lamar Thomas
*Irving Fryar

and on an interesting note i remember people saying Jaws sucks b/c he bad mouths miami.... but i found out he played for the fins in '88 as a backup to Marino. His stats weren't bad either for a backup - 65% comp. with 1 TD and 0 picks.

-tex

Nate jacquet played for the vikings for a while b4 he fell off
I never like mcduffie much, celled him mcdummie for all of the passes he dropped

OJ lost use of his big toe thanks to all of the Medical "assitance" the Fins team doctors gave him

You're right, he was a bad *** receiver. Had great hands, got first downs, fought for the ball, scrappy-type that would fight for extra yardage...kind of a less-explosive Clayton. Every team needs one of these.

I'd like to know what happened to one my personal favorites, John Offerdahl, I know he was making bagels for a while, but that damn Adkin's diet must be hurting business:D

Also, what ever happened to Jeff Uhleneke, JJ Johnson and Tony Paige?

spydertl79 said:
Nate jacquet played for the vikings for a while b4 he fell off
I never like mcduffie much, celled him mcdummie for all of the passes he dropped

i know jacquet went to the vikes, just didn't know why.... he was a promising budding receiver for us.

mcduffie was an awesome receiver! what passes did he drop? he was our possesion receiver, made the insane catches, almost always on 3rd down. I guess we can thank the medical staff for him getting out early? or maybe he just couldn't play without marino?

spiral said:
I'd like to know what happened to one my personal favorites, John Offerdahl, I know he was making bagels for a while, but that damn Adkin's diet must be hurting business:D

Offerdahl retired... he did his full tenure i remember that. JJ Johnson was the 2nd running back behind Lamar Smith wasn't he? When we drafted Minor, he became Smith's backup and JJ kinda fell off.... then we got Ricky and Smith was bye bye with Minor staying on and JJ getting waived.... i think 2001 was his last year in football.

spiral said:
OJ lost use of his big toe thanks to all of the Medical "assitance" the Fins team doctors gave him

You're right, he was a bad *** receiver. Had great hands, got first downs, fought for the ball, scrappy-type that would fight for extra yardage...kind of a less-explosive Clayton. Every team needs one of these.

Yea he was great one of my favs he was more of a possesion reciver great goto man.:)

JJ johnson went to the browns for a little bit then i think he got injured

Here is what I know.....

Perriman after Miami went to KC and Detroit then retired.

Irving Fryar found GOD!

Troy Drayton found FOOD and is now a Macy's Thanksgiving Day float.

Lamar Thomas had a spinal cord injury I believe and was forced to leave the game. You can see him on sidelines of various UM home games acting like he still matters!

Scott Schwedes is probably watching a VCR tape of his TD catch from 1984 when Syracuse knocked off #1 Nebraska in the DOME.

Irving Spikes just got out of jail I think. Maybe he and Cecil were roomates?

OJ McDuffie is just bitter and angry at everyone!

My new home is being constructed in OJ's neighborhood in sawgrass and all I can say is wow, His house is spectacular...I noticed his basketball/tennis court is decked out in all Penn State gear and logo's. No sign anywhere he was ever a dolphin. Maybe he is a little bit bitter. Fellow nittany lion Ki-Jana Carter is his neighbor. Anyways, his house is on another level, really nice.

Does anyone know what happened to Mark Higgs? I know he was average at best as a running back but I really liked his attitude. I know he went to the cardinals after us but then...?

Tony Paige was a great FB. He loved to hit people and had good hands.
He retired young to start his own business. I haven't heard a thing about him since.

I miss Keith Jackson and Keith Byars. I never understood why we didn't resign him, and he signed with Green Bay.

Abdul Jabbar left the league in 2001 with severe knee problems, changed his name (yet again) to Abdul-Karim Al-Jabbar, and as of a couple of years ago hoped to return to football. Looks like it didnt work out that way.

McDuffie is still around...he occasionally gives his opinion on current Dolphin issues (he recently gave a quote about the RB situation). As for the guy that didnt like OJ, Were you watching him play? You sure it was McDuffie? OJ was just about the only player that wasnt dropping passes. He was one of the most surehanded receivers in the league.

Parmalee played for the Jests for a while after leaving the Phins but returned to be an assistant RB coach under Collier. When Collier was promoted, Bernie became RB coach. Then, when Collier was demoted/opted out of the OC job, and Foerster was promoted, Bernie
was moved to TE coach. Musical coaches chairs appears to have been good for Parmalee.

Fryar became religious before he joined the Dolphins. In fact, thats how he was able to turn his life around after all the controversy in NE. When JJ arrived, he let Fryar leave for Philly and after a couple of years there Fryar played a year or two for the 'Skins, then retired. Last I heard he had a ministry going

I heard Higgs on the radio a couple of times doing interviews....

I've seen Lamar Thomas in flag football tournaments at Brian Piccolo park in Broward....he sucked there too...and all he did was brag and drop names all day...the guy is a knucklehead.

Back
Top Bottom