This Dolphins tight end might earn another shot with the team in 2018 | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Dolphins tight end might earn another shot with the team in 2018

A month ago, if you had to guess whether Julius Thomas had a future with the Miami Dolphins beyond this season, the answer would have been quick in coming.

Not likely.

chance with the Dolphins in 2018.

No, Thomas being on the team in 2018 at his scheduled salary cap cost of $6.6 million still seems unlikely — particularly when cutting him would remove every single penny off the Dolphins’ books.

But suddenly the Thomas conversation includes nuance it didn’t before. It’s no longer as simple as he isn’t going to be back. Now it’s about his return possibly making sense if he takes a pay cut. Or maybe he comes back if the Dolphins can’t find other players in free agency or the draft.

And the reason Thomas’ departure no longer seems certain is because he’s sort of playing his way back into the picture.

Thomas caught a touchdown pass against the Denver Broncos on Sunday. He has 12 catches for 102 yards and that score in the past three games. And for the season, Thomas is the team’s third-leading pass catcher with 37 receptions for 362 yards.

What seemed like a disappointing 2017 acquisition for the Dolphins a few weeks ago doesn’t look nearly as bad right now.

“I see it different than it seems everyone else does,” coach Adam Gase said Monday. “He’s done everything I’ve asked him to do. I wish there’s been situations we’ve called plays for him and haven’t been able to get the ball to him either by coverage or the ball didn’t go there for whatever reason. When we’ve asked him to do things in the running game he’s given me max effort.

The final four games of this season will go far in determining Thomas’ fate. It’s fair to believe the Dolphins want Thomas to prove himself worth keeping because that would cross off yet another position on the need list for the 2018 offseason.

But the truth is the team will be hiring tight ends next offseason anyway because Gase likes to have a couple ready to play, and Anthony Fasano is on a one-year contract and might retire anyway.

In that regard, finding one tight end to replace Fasano is easier than having to find two to replace Fasano and Thomas.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/s...-salguero/article187982759.html#storylink=cpy

My HOPE is he's gone, but I see the odds as 50/50 If he takes a pay cut

Dangers of these empty wins is the FO keeping bums around for next year because of one or 2 decent games.
Damn right................he has to go, Dolphins need to move on.

Julius is my most hated fin of all time. I ****ing hate him

Me too. I think what turned be against the guy is Gase defending him and making excuses for him even though he completely sucked. Didn't he catch a TD Sunday? Yay! Let's throw a party! We'll probably give the bum a huge multiyear contract.

He's played better, but I don't give a damn. I want an explosive tight end that will open up this offense. Cut Thomas, keep Derby, and either draft a tight end high or draft one in the mid rounds and sign a vet.

Would have liked to see what Thomas could have done with a real QB in Tannehill, but oh well .. he's gotta go.

anyone with half a brain sees how much slower he is than when he was in Denver...its not even close...with that said, he has been steadily getting better...and who knows how he could have played with Tannehill...but at the end of the day, there is no way in hell that we pay 6 point whatever million a year to keep him...maybe 3 or 4 mil if that....we need to draft a young talented TE early in the draft, no more of these 4th and 5th round projects

I've been hoping we drafted a TE early for years now but we haven't. Yesterday Gase was asked about Thomas and he said something like "I must be watching something different than everyone else" and he also said that "he's done everything that I have asked of him"....if that's the case then I guess he hasn't asked him to do much

Ozzy rules!!

Cut him period.
Miami can get the same receiving production and much better point-of-attack blocking from a Dion Sims type TE whose much cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom