This Guy Reminds Me of Brady... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

This Guy Reminds Me of Brady...

i have been comparing him to brady for a while. i really hope we get this guy if a miricle doesnt happen and we land newton or gabbert

Nice find I appreciate the video as well. You may be onto something it will be fun watching to see how he does at the next level. I do remember the first time I watched Brady Quinn I thought I was looking at the next great Qb.

But then over time a few college games I began to see the flaws. With this player I haven't seen enough games to know, But it looks like it is hitting the receivers and backs in the sweet spots. Which is something we haven't seen in Miami in sometime now. In all of these plays the receivers could run after the catch and that can't be overstated for its value.

I live in Big Ten country and have seen quite a bit of Stanzi. I've just never understood why he's viewed so highly by some people. I will give him decent mobility and ability to move around in the pocket. But I do not like his arm strength. Those balloon soft lobs that he throws just will not cut it against NFL speed.

If nothing else, we need someone special at qb, not another of these run of the mill guys.

I live in Big Ten country and have seen quite a bit of Stanzi. I've just never understood why he's viewed so highly by some people. I will give him decent mobility and ability to move around in the pocket. But I do not like his arm strength. Those balloon soft lobs that he throws just will not cut it against NFL speed.

If nothing else, we need someone special at qb, not another of these run of the mill guys.

I've seen stanzi make plenty of throws throughout the years that had plenty of zip on them. anywhere, from deep routes, to fireballs into the endzone. What is about him, that showed you his arm strength was questionable.

Yeah. Well, there were many places that considered Jake Locker for shoe-in for top QB status, until they caught up to me. And there were many places that considered Cam Newton a borderline 1st/2nd rounder, until they caught up to me on that one. So what are they going to catch up to me on next?

Listen, if I wasn't comfortable making evaluations on my own that can stand quite apart from the rest of the crowd, I wouldn't do so. I'm pretty comfortable with that. So when someone comes at me on one of my opinions and says yeah but so and so rates the guy this way, I don't know what you expect me to say. You expect me to change my mind? If I change my mind, it's for my reasons, like I recently began changing my mind on Nate Enderle, because I'm tired of the bad decision making which keeps showing up over and over and over again.

Perhaps just your reason of having Yates rated much higher than most.

Let's compare this (Highlights of Tom Brady at the University of Michigan):

[video=youtube;TM7Q4y1trtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7Q4y1trtM[/video]

To this (Highlights of Ricky Stanzi at the University of Iowa):

[video=youtube;4x2UUWgv1NQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ[/video]

Any thoughts???

Their style of play is very similar in my eyes. The only significant difference I can discern is Stanzi's slight size advantage in the thighs/calves, something Brady has obviously improved since going pro.

Obviously neither one was Elway at Stanford or Marino at Pitt. However, I think it is worth spending a third or fourth-rounder on Stanzi to see if he can make the same translation to the pros that Brady did...

They're very similar in stature, pocket presence, and arm strength. Both do a good job of going through their progressions, Brady goes through them a little quicker. The differences are very subtle.... Brady sets up just a fraction quicker, and has better overall mechanics from the ground up and more compact delivery.

It's the intangibles that made Tom Brady into what he is... If Stanzi is as hellbent on proving the NFL teams wrong that passed on him as much as Brady, he'll be a starting NFL quarterback sooner than anyone thought.

However, winning 3 superbowl rings, throwing 50 TD's and 8 INT's in a single season, and winning multiple league MVP titles is obviously a pretty tall task..

I agree with your post, Slimmy, especially on the intangibles aspect. Intangibles are often overlooked, especially when it comes to evaluating rookies, hence Tom Brady going in the sixth round, Zach Thomas going in the fifth round, etc. Ignoring intangibles leads to making decisions such as putting Ryan Leaf above Peyton Manning on your draft board, to give an extreme example. Or, for another example, drafting Blair Thomas second overall instead of taking Emmit Smith, who falls to seventeenth (As much as I loved Richmond Webb, imagine if Shula had partnered Marino with Smith for the 1990s???)

I also wanted to complement the video with a statistical comparison of Stanzi's and Brady's junior/senior seasons (Put together quickly via Excel/ImageShack):

statcomparison-1.png

It is hard to envision a tighter correlation...

I really like the comparison between these two. Stanzi is the first rookie I have ever seen who absolutely reminds me of Brady in almost every way. There is no doubt in my mind that rolling the dice on him in the third or fourth-round is a no-brainer even with the plethora of more physically talented and flashy QBs who will go before him in the draft.

he mos def has better accuracy than henne

if we dont draft him i will cry. but i shouldnt set my self up for dissappointment. we will take a olineman or de instead

what is it with the $%#@ing music people put to every draft prospect video? Its either some hardcore rap or kid rock crap....dear god

I like Stanzi as well. The few games I've seen him play, I thought he came across as pretty solid. But I know CK watches a lot more of these guys and watches them closer so maybe he does know something. In either case, for the kids sake, I hope this regime doesn't draft him as we've seen what a marvelous job they do at developing QBs.

Hey CK, have you ever kept record of your hits and misses over the past couple of years???

I'd be curious to see what your success rate has been.. as I really enjoy reading your perspective.

Its not impressive. He was all up about Jerry Houghes last year and we all know how bad he was this year. I would take anything that CK says with a grain of salt. Just because he spends hours of "scouting" players doesnt mean he knows anything. No one really knows how the players will pan out.

As far as TJ yates goes, I have no idea what CK see in Yates. I live in Carolina and I can tell all of you that Yates isnt NFL starter material. He's thin skinned and a little bit of a poon. He's not a vocal leader and he doesnt have great measurables. He plays it safe and doesnt play to win and doesnt like to take chances. He holds the ball too long and he goes to his first read, thus staring down his WR's. I compare him to Brian Brohm from Louiville. similar type throwing motion, both have good football IQ but Brohm wasnt able to keep up with the speed of the NFL and I think Yates will be the same way.

Let's compare this (Highlights of Tom Brady at the University of Michigan):

[video=youtube;TM7Q4y1trtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM7Q4y1trtM[/video]

To this (Highlights of Ricky Stanzi at the University of Iowa):

[video=youtube;4x2UUWgv1NQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x2UUWgv1NQ[/video]

Any thoughts???

Their style of play is very similar in my eyes. The only significant difference I can discern is Stanzi's slight size advantage in the thighs/calves, something Brady has obviously improved since going pro.

Obviously neither one was Elway at Stanford or Marino at Pitt. However, I think it is worth spending a third or fourth-rounder on Stanzi to see if he can make the same translation to the pros that Brady did...
That's a nice comparison to be sure. If Stanzi works as hard as Brady and gets in the right situation I think he will definitely exceed expectations much like Brady did.

Back
Top Bottom