Timmons AWOL?? | Page 41 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Timmons AWOL??

Too bad there's not a way to hurt Timmons without hurting the team.

To be clear I mean hurt him financially, not physically.

btw guys, stop thinking we're going to trade for a LB if Timmons is gone. Who's going to give us anyone worth starting at this point? And if someone is willing to trade a good player, what kind of pick would we have to give up and on top of that we don't have any money cap wise to be spending on yet another high price player. Sorry but we're rolling with what we have which is 3 LB's that can't cover anyone. Unless we get a pass rush going fast, we're going to see every QB dink and dunk us on every drive all year long and I don't believe Burke can be creative enough to make up for the lack of talent.....the only DC we ever had that would make chicken salad out of chicken **** was Bill Arnsparger

Ozzy rules!!

Wouldn't surprise me if during Monday night football tonight the breaking news ticker comes across with Miami releases Lawrence timmons.

We cannot cut him due to the obvious cap ramifications. I do believe there are several options within the CBA we can do. Miami can also lead the league in a lawsuit for guaranteed money on a player not wanting to play which is fraud. Whether physically or mentally he they signed a contract with guaranteed money to perform and if they couldn't that contract is void. If he had played and then a meltdown happened it would be different but here is a story of a player either physically or mentally signing a contract without merit, A contract is valid when good faith is on both parties, he signed we guaranteed and give them good faith money to renege on the contract is his problem.

Humanitarians forget the business and the ramifications of it if he needs help let him get it but you must also understand the legal binding contract that was signed and already paid for In the form of a signing bonus.

Logically speaking you cannot go to a job that gives you a $10,000 moving expense go to training and then on the day you're supposed to perform have a meltdown And not show up without any ramifications.

A trade to Pittsburgh could happen to

Last edited:
We cannot cut him due to the obvious ramifications. I do believe there are several options within the CBA we can do. Miami can also lead the league in a lawsuit for guaranteed money on a player not wanting to play which is fraud. Whether physically or mentally he they signed a contract with guaranteed money to perform and if they couldn't that contract is void. If he had played and then a meltdown happened it would be different but here is a story of a player either physically or mentally signing a contract without merit, A contract is valid when good faith is on both parties.

A trade to Pittsburgh could happen to
I felt it was going to change how teams will approach F/A moving forward. This situation will only hurt the players and agents with regards to guarantee money, in the very near future. Timmons may screw the Dolphins in the short term, but in the long run the owners will come out ahead. And if Miami sets a precedent by suing Timmons for fraud or some other contract related issue, directly related to this incident; the league and owners will be better for it. Owners are $&@&$ themselves worrying if this is going to happen to them.

That's classy. Dude likely had a mental breakdown of some sort and you're worried about financially hurting him.

Nah, I should have been more specific. If the reason he went AWOL is a good one, which would certainly include a mental breakdown, I want the guy to get help. If it isn't a good reason and deemed suspension without pay or even release worthy I'm saying it sucks that has to hurt the team and not just Timmons.

I know in these sensitive times you need to spell everything out for people. My bad.

I felt it was going to change how teams will approach F/A moving forward. This situation will only hurt the players and agents with regards to guarantee money, in the very near future. Timmons may screw the Dolphins in the short term, but in the long run the owners will come out ahead. And if Miami sets a precedent by suing Timmons for fraud or some other contract related issue, directly related to this incident; the league and owners will be better for it. Owners are $&@&$ themselves worrying if this is going to happen to them.

I don't think it will stop the way teams approach free agency at all. Contractually it is all in good faith being guaranteed money and also with the signing bonus Miami performed he did not. That's truly the end of the story.

I expect Miami to get their money back and maybe have to deal with the CBA if there isn't an out possibly federally. If it comes to that.

I hope the guys well and all but if you were paid upfront and guaranteed to contractually perform a task and you do not perform that task within the contract you're out of luck

I don't think it will stop the way teams approach free agency at all. Contractually it is all in good faith being guaranteed money and also with the signing bonus Miami performed he did not. That's truly the end of the story.

I expect Miami to get their money back and maybe have to deal with the CBA if there isn't an out possibly federally. If it comes to that.

I hope the guys well and all but if you were paid upfront and guaranteed to contractually perform a task and you do not perform that task within the contract you're out of luck
I understand and do agree. But, if he's not physically or mentally unstable, it be similar to stealing money. Owners can't be ok with this, I certainly wouldn't be. My point about changing F/A is more about how contracts will be worded in the future, to specifically address this issue, that is currently playing out with Miami. And in future CBA talks, I'd expect owners to specifically address this as well. It be very smart of the owners to protect themselves even further than perhaps the CBA already does?

What would Belichick do? That's got to be eating up Gase inside knowing full well Belichick would cut him in a heartbeat.

I understand and do agree. But, if he's not physically or mentally unstable, it be similar to stealing money. Owners can't be ok with this, I certainly wouldn't be. My point about changing F/A is more about how contracts will be worded in the future, to specifically address this issue, that is currently playing out with Miami. And in future CBA talks, I'd expect owners to specifically address this as well. It be very smart of the owners to protect themselves even further than perhaps the CBA already does?

The CBA does and does not, the problem the CBA has, it could hurt us in the short-term but we would get it back in the long term.

Being a tax exempt organization puts everything on the federal level which is where I believe this should go if Miami cut him.
He should have to return his signing bonus and Miami should not be liable for guaranteed money.
If it is truly a mental problem then the league itself needs to pay not just one team

Here is what I think happened. Saturday night Timmons went out and hooked up with some stripper hoes and got coked up. He missed his curfew and instead of facing the music decideded it would be easier to go home. So don't worry about it! Everything is ok lol he will be back next week! :)

Nah, I should have been more specific. If the reason he went AWOL is a good one, which would certainly include a mental breakdown, I want the guy to get help. If it isn't a good reason and deemed suspension without pay or even release worthy I'm saying it sucks that has to hurt the team and not just Timmons.

I know in these sensitive times you need to spell everything out for people. My bad.

I'd agree with this. If Timmons simply made some mistakes in dealing with an unexpected situation, that's one thing, and it'd be to the team's benefit to try to work through it.

If it appears that Timmons acted in bad faith, though, you have to play hardball to protect yourself.

What would Belichick do? That's got to be eating up Gase inside knowing full well Belichick would cut him in a heartbeat.

If that's what Gase is thinking he's already lost.

Can't cut Timmons - doesn't make sense for the team or financially. Let the details come out and find an appropriate punishment while keeping him on the roster.

Back
Top Bottom