TNF Cowboys vs Seahawks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TNF Cowboys vs Seahawks

Maybe by the time they get to us, they will have the 2nd sewn up.. eagles with the first.
If the 49ers beat the Eagles this weekend and the Cowboys beat the Eagles next Sunday night then they will be tied for the division lead and will have split the season series with them. So I doubt the NFC East will be decided by the time the Cowboys play the Dolphins. In other words the Cowboys will most likely have a lot to play for the rest of the season.

Plus a home game.

That's why I've always said, I am fine with a division winner automatically making playoffs.

But seeding should be done by record.

Atlanta should be the 7 seed not 4th seed with a home game
So you wanna render divisions meaningless* like they have been since 2007 in the NBA (because of the Dallas Mavericks rule)? All NBA fans hate it. The only proper solution is contraction. There are too many teams in the league which throws off conference balance. I don't think a losing team won a division before this century. It might've happened once or twice, but its happening on a regular basis now. Expanding internationally will probably make it worse. Here's my obligatory conspiracy nut solution: Expand the talent pool with genetic engineering. More great players=more good teams=less likely that you will have a sub .500 team winning the division.

On the other hand, maybe we don't need divisions? I'm more of a traditionalist so I wanna keep them and fix them instead of get rid of them. MLS gets by without divisions. But then again, soccer is weird. Teams play in like 3 different leagues year round, and the home team is first in line on the scoreboard. Why are MLS team names European/International style? Why don't they use mascots? Apparently InterMiami's mascot is the Heron. Why does MLS call the standings a table? This is America! Tables are for eating on! If you wanna make soccer more popular in the U.S., don't you need to do things American style instead of bringing Europe to America? We only like Europe when we're on vaction there. Ok, I'm rambling.

Edit: One good thing about international soccer is religation. That's weird, but a great idea.

*Winning the division is a tiebreaker for home court in the finals(the Heat, who won their division last season could've had homecourt in the finals as an 8th seed(7th seed if the play-in didn't exist), so its only 99.99% meaningless.

Last edited:
Thats loss drops the Seahawks to 6-6, meaning the Cowboys have not beaten a team with a winning record this year. I seem to recall another team that was in that position and was therefor being discounted as legit.
This whole narrative is stupid. A team that had a winning record earlier that they beat doesn't count anymore? One who had a losing record earlier when they played but now has a winning record does? It's impossible to keep track of this nonsense and no one should be. Just beat the next team.

Dallas' defense is not impressive at all outside of #11 and #26

In terms of playmakers, Parsons and Bland are the only two for Dallas defense.
They have some good players like Lawrence, who lost his double digit sack ability but is a good run stopper.
Have decent edge depth.
Their linebackers are shaky, with the loss of LVE. Bell is extremely undersized but has flashed and struggled over the year. Clark reminds me of Baker. Athletic but lost.
Quinn runs a lot of 3 safety packages. Last year Wilson and Kearse were a lot better, this year both have regressed. Thomas, the main backup is better IMO but is kept as depth due to seniority.

Where their defense shines is when offenses have to go one dimensional and pass. Their line is made for passrushing.
If Miami can threaten both with the air and run game, the Dallas defense will give up yardage.

This whole narrative is stupid. A team that had a winning record earlier that they beat doesn't count anymore? One who had a losing record earlier when they played but now has a winning record does? It's impossible to keep track of this nonsense and no one should be. Just beat the next team.
Yes. That was pretty much my point. No one mentions Dallas because it doesn’t matter, they are clearly a very good football team.

So you wanna render divisions meaningless* like they have been since 2007 in the NBA (because of the Dallas Mavericks rule)? All NBA fans hate it. The only proper solution is contraction. There are too many teams in the league which throws off conference balance. I don't think a losing team won a division before this century. It might've happened once or twice, but its happening on a regular basis now. Expanding internationally will probably make it worse. Here's my obligatory conspiracy nut solution: Expand the talent pool with genetic engineering. More great players=more good teams=less likely that you will have a sub .500 team winning the division.

On the other hand, maybe we don't need divisions? I'm more of a traditionalist so I wanna keep them and fix them instead of get rid of them. MLS gets by without divisions. But then again, soccer is weird. Teams play in like 3 different leagues year round, and the home team is first in line on the scoreboard. Why are MLS team names European/International style? Why don't they use mascots? Apparently InterMiami's mascot is the Heron. Why does MLS call the standings a table? This is America! Tables are for eating on! If you wanna make soccer more popular in the U.S., don't you need to do things American style instead of bringing Europe to America? We only like Europe when we're on vaction there. Ok, I'm rambling.

Edit: One good thing about international soccer is religation. That's weird, but a great idea.

*Winning the division is a tiebreaker for home court in the finals(the Heat, who won their division last season could've had homecourt in the finals as an 8th seed(7th seed if the play-in didn't exist), so its only 99.99% meaningless.

No I am not saying render divisions meaningless. That's exactly why I stated they get a playoff birth.

This is not meant to be disrespectful to you, but I could care less what Basketball fans feel.

What I am saying is there is 0 reason a 5-6 Alanta Falcons team should be getting a home field playoff game against a 9-3 Cowboys team.

If the 49ers beat the Eagles this weekend and the Cowboys beat the Eagles next Sunday night then they will be tied for the division lead and will have split the season series with them. So I doubt the NFC East will be decided by the time the Cowboys play the Dolphins. In other words the Cowboys will most likely have a lot to play for the rest of the season.
By the same token, if the Eagles beat Dallas that division is done even if it isn't clinched. The Cowboys would be at minimum two games down and would lose the tiebreaker.

By the same token, if the Eagles beat Dallas that division is done even if it isn't clinched. The Cowboys would be at minimum two games down and would lose the tiebreaker.
Correct but I honestly believe the Eagles are going to lose their next two games. I don't see them beating the Cowboys in Dallas. That means the Dolphins are probably going to have to play their A game when they face the Cowboys in order to beat them. There will be too much at stake for them to take it easy.

No I am not saying render divisions meaningless. That's exactly why I stated they get a playoff birth.
That sounds like an upside down version of the Dallas Mavericks Rule.
This is not meant to be disrespectful to you, but I could care less what Basketball fans feel.
I only mentioned the NBA as an example of what happens when divisions are meaningless.

They could just determine home field by record instead of seeding.

I'm sure the team that has to go on the road to face a 6-11 team will never complain about getting an unofficial first round bye.

What I am saying is there is 0 reason a 5-6 Alanta Falcons team should be getting a home field playoff game against a 9-3 Cowboys team.

Agree, but, it has happened before.

The Seahawks made history by becoming the first 7–9 team ever to make the playoffs

That sounds like an upside down version of the Dallas Mavericks Rule.

I only mentioned the NBA as an example of what happens when divisions are meaningless.

They could just determine home field by record instead of seeding.

I'm sure the team that has to go on the road to face a 6-11 team will never complain about getting an unofficial first round bye.

So you honestly believe the Dallas Cowboys, in this scenario, would be thankful going to Atlanta in the 1st round, as opposed to Atlanta going to Dallas?

OK. To each their own

Agree, but, it has happened before.

Oh agreed, it has happened a couple times I think.

When I said 0 reason, it was my opinion that it shouldn't happen

Not that I was saying it can't happen.

It's just absurd to me.

Regardless of record, home field is always an advantage. 4 of Atlantas 5 wins are at home.

They do not deserve a home playoff game, IMO. Of course, that could change as the season goes along

Oh agreed, it has happened a couple times I think.

When I said 0 reason, it was my opinion that it shouldn't happen

Not that I was saying it can't happen.

It's just absurd to me.

Regardless of record, home field is always an advantage. 4 of Atlantas 5 wins are at home.

They do not deserve a home playoff game, IMO. Of course, that could change as the season goes along

Agree. It is what it is ... silly

Back
Top Bottom