Todd McShay has us taking N. Dame OG Quenton Nelson | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Todd McShay has us taking N. Dame OG Quenton Nelson

CK, do you think Miami would consider Christian Wilkins in round #1? He seems like a player too good to pass up at #14 - #16. He’s also versatile, playing both DT and DE.

It's possible. I have a tough time with it because the feeling in the building is that they did really well with the Davon Godchaux/Vincent Taylor picks late in this year's draft, and when you combine them with Ndamukong Suh and Jordan Phillips, their cup runneth over, so to speak.

But you nailed the exact reason they COULD ultimately take a look at Wilkins, that being his ability to be used as a defensive end until they eventually part ways with Suh and/or Phillips.

Miami's system is not especially compatible with the idea of a Christian Wilkins at defensive end, and they will probably feel like they don't need to pay a lot for what Wilkins would bring to the table as a DE. They will ask William Hayes or Terrence Fede, or both, to come back on a cheap contract(s) to fill that role.

But it was also true that Miami drafted Laremy Tunsil to play LG immediately, knowing full well that they don't value LG enough to justify the pick. They did it with the future in mind, as they knew they would have Albert here only one more year. So they could do the same with a Christian Wilkins, figuring him to take over for Suh.

But does Wilkins have the pass rush to make it attractive, and are they really preparing to let Suh go to another team by 2019 at the latest? Tough call.

Lazy mock drafting. If he knew anything about Tannenbaum, Grier, and Gase, he'd not mock Quenton Nelson to Miami.

That's fine though. Miami can use this narrative to keep people confused as to their true intentions. Unfortunately, that sort of obfuscation tends to backfire with a fixated fan base.

Who are some mid-round offensive lineman who you like, that could be steals maybe and fit Miami's scheme?

I'd love for the Dolphins to get one legitimate offensive line starter in free agency and then really concentrate on the defensive side. Get that complete linebacker early (R. Smith, Jefferson, Edmonds), maybe a pass rushing end and then look for offensive reinforcements.

I know you're also a big fan of Andrews at tight end. I wouldn't be upset with that kind of addition early.

The guard in this draft that I think is right up there with Quenton Nelson is Will Hernandez of UTEP. He's currently rated a 2nd day player and that would be a great pickup for Miami.

Another guy that I really like is Timon Parris of Stony Brook. He's a very nice FCS sleeper pick who will participate in the Senior Bowl.

I think Slimm has spoken about him a few times, and I agree that Georgia's Isaiah Wynn is being overlooked. Good player, and has tape at LG in 2016.

I am not sure what to do about Center if they get rid of Mike Pouncey but honestly we should consider that first crack at the position should perhaps go to the winner of a competition between Ted Larsen and Jake Brendel. I think both could be good at the job.

I am unclear on whether Larry Allen Jr is forced to enter the draft or if he has another year of eligibility. If the former, I like him a lot and would think about training him as a Center.

Also keep in mind I fully believe Jesse Davis should be starting at RG or LG. He's earned that. He's huge, strong, and VERY nimble for that size. He's a fairly recent convert to OL and he's the kind of player you invest in to let his decision-making and experience level catch up to his physical abilities.

If he weren't already a Miami Dolphin, people would look at Jesse Davis's game tape against the Buffalo Bills last week going up against real NFL players with real NFL size, strength, and speed, real NFL defensive schemes and misdirection, and they'd say this guy should be in the 1st round. They would be awe struck by his size, his frame and arm length, how nimble he is at that size, the sheer amount of movement he can get on big bodied, strong NFL defensive tackles, his anchor, and the way he is able to anticipate and get out to threats to his zone protection.

That's not what the mob wants to hear right now, though. They're out for blood, and they want it in the form of a Quenton Nelson in the first round.

Right now my two favorites for Miami, given their 10-15 draft position are Roquan Smith and this guy:

I like it. I mentioned Vander Esch in the main Dolphins forum yesterday. I wasn't aware he was rated first round but I follow that conference very closely since for whatever reason my betting systems work great in the Mountain West. San Diego State is my favorite team in the country right now, based on style of play. They beat Stanford...were unbeaten and ranked..until running into Boise State. Now there was too much of an adjustment. Boise State had only been an underdog one time since joining the Mountain West. Now they were getting +6.5 at San Diego State.

I never expected it to be that lopsided. Boise State was smarter and more physical throughout, and Vander Esch was a huge part of it. The Aztecs had only 83 yards rushing. While watching that game I remember thinking that this is the way the '70s Dolphins used to methodically dismantle everything the opponent wanted to do.

The current Dolphins could use smarts for a change.

Vander Esch is a bit narrow but I think he could fill out, unlike Alonso.

I wasn't familiar with Vander Esch until watching the Boise State/Washington State game early in the season. He was all over the place. I was sick that Boise State blew that 21 point lead in the middle of the 4th quarter. Who am I kidding? I'm still sick about it, especially the bizarre way it happened. Mike Leach did cooperate by his team becoming extremely overrated a month later but I wanted an early ding.

He does look like another kiko. more suited inside than outside. more lateral quickness and fluidness than true speed or agility. IMO the problem with kiko was moving him from ilb where he used to play mostly spy and zone to the outside where he has to play more man.

i dont think vander esch is suited to play man either.

i rather edmunds.

Never take a tight end, running back, or guard in the 1st round. I could really see us going DE again to replace Wake.

Cellin Ferrell is the pick for me. Replaces Wake saves 8 mill

There's nothing wrong with taking a stud player at a need position in the first round. Amazing how many years we've heard that interior OL isn't worthy of premium picks but yet we've had multiple seasons partially sunk by poor interior OL play. Mike Pouncey was the highest Center drafted in about a half of a century- besides that, and his injuries aside, how are we doing at drafting interior OL? Drafting. Coaching. Developing.

Some people also yapped away about a decade ago as to why Right Tackles were never worth premium picks- well apparently now that, too, is considered an important position. With Jesse Davis slated to play OG at not OT I would still have no problem drafting Quenton Nelson, Billy Price or Will Hernandez- and then players like Braden Smith and Frank Ragnow later on, and Tackles like Chukumawa Okafor and and Timon Parris.

The draft goal is to fix the problem areas on the team- blathering dialogue and yada yada yada comments about the inappropriateness of high interior OL draft picks are of little concern. We need OL, LB's and TE's- whatever formula we've been using for years to fix these problem areas isn't working. Get the right scouts, draft the right players and carry on with it. We should be able to draft good players at all of those positions, and which round they individually are taken at isn't of much importance, as long as they contribute to fixing the problems. Maybe drafting interior OL in the first round is exactly what we should do this year, and in my opinion the Dolphins should absolutely look to hire scouts that specialize in drafting players at our need positions like OL, LB and TE. If a lack of talent at interior OL can be a big enough problem to hinder the success of the team year after year, then how can it not be a big enough problem to warrant fixing through high draft picks? Food for thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom