Top 5 DE/OLB for 2013 nfl draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top 5 DE/OLB for 2013 nfl draft

Every day I'm reminded (and humbled by) just how much people can watch the same video tape and see completely different things. Earlier today was a great example when someone (who is, believe it or not, a pretty intelligent football fan) questioned whether Manti Te'o has the physical skills to be good at the next level. I thought I (or he) was taking crazy pills. Manti Te'o has the wheels and cutback agility of an elite tailback (especially when you take size into account)...he just hasn't always been a guy that stays zeroed in on what the offense is doing from snap to whistle, until this year.

Now I see someone compare Bjoern Werner to Jared Odrick and I'm just thinking to myself...well anyway, I don't need to describe it because it's not my intention to come off sounding mean or critical of anyone's opinion. Jared Odrick was a lengthy-bodied defensive tackle in in Penn State's gap shooting penetration scheme, had some good get-off and pad level for the position (emphasis on the position, defensive tackle), played square and behind his shoulder pads, and fell down too much. Bjoern Werner just doesn't resemble him in any way that I can think of, physically, in style, in scheme or role. That's just a tough one, for me.

It's just weird to me when people don't see a guy that gets off the snap in Bjoern Werner because it's probably the greatest asset in his game. He's very aware and that's a huge asset for him, but let's face it you can draft guys with awareness in any round. You can't necessarily draft a guy who consistently gets off the ball faster than anyone else and that's what Werner does. He'll blow by an offensive tackle like he's standing still. There's a ton of quick twitch in Bjoern Werner's game. Florida State has been experimenting more lately with standing Werner up and moving him a little bit pre-snap, letting him some slack in his rush. Scary results.

My biggest gripes with him are thus:

1. He doesn't always bend and come back to the quarterback. Which by the way is the same criticism you can say about pretty much every pass rusher, ever. It's like criticizing a basketball player because he misses some shots. But nonetheless, there it is.

2. There's this really annoying habit of giving up on the pursuit. I've never seen him take a play off, ever. But I sure as hell have seen him quite a few times go into energy conservation mode during a play when he probably could've pursued more.

Anyone questioning Manti Te'o and his athleticism needs to watch him against Michigan where he spied Denard Robinson all game. That entire defense is built around him and what he can do.... and it's the only reason Notre Dame is undefeated and playing for the national title.

He's playing faster than any linebacker I've seen in college since Patrick Willis. He's reading his keys better as a Senior and it's really allowed him to look like there's 3 of him on the field.

yeah but teo hadn't created a turnover in college til his senior season if i recall that correctly...just seems odd to me that this year all the sudden he's become this turnover machine...anyways that kids the heart and soul of that notre dame team...although they got some really good college football players on that squad now...

Anyone questioning Manti Te'o and his athleticism needs to watch him against Michigan where he spied Denard Robinson all game. That entire defense is built around him and what he can do.... and it's the only reason Notre Dame is undefeated and playing for the national title.

He's playing faster than any linebacker I've seen in college since Patrick Willis. He's reading his keys better as a Senior and it's really allowed him to look like there's 3 of him on the field.

That's what has stood out to me this year. The improvement is surprising. A year ago between he, Shayne Skov and Luke Kuechly I had him as clearly the most athletically impressive but also the worst of the three overall because he was slow on the read at times and took a lot of wasted steps. None of that this year. Remarkable turnaround in that particular facet of his game. The athleticism (range) and agility (cutback) have always been freakish. Urlacher-like.

yeah but teo hadn't created a turnover in college til his senior season if i recall that correctly...just seems odd to me that this year all the sudden he's become this turnover machine...anyways that kids the heart and soul of that notre dame team...although they got some really good college football players on that squad now...

He's forced turnovers, just not interceptions. He forced a fumble against Florida St. last year in the Citrus Bowl that Zeke Motta returned for a touchdown. He forced another one against Michigan his sophomore year.

One of the questions I had about Te'o was pass coverage, which he's improved by leaps and bounds as a Senior. The results of it are the 7 interceptions.

Is Quanterus Smith now UDFA material after tearing his ACL? I'd take a flyer on him.

I would be surprised if that made him a UDFA, unless the medical on it looks really ugly. And yes I'd absolutely take a flier on him.

Ezekiel Ansah - I know he is not top 5 DE but if we could get him in the second round tha twould allow us to get a WR or CB in the first which I think we really need. This guy is a beast I have never seen a guy at 275lbs close so fast but then be strong enough to hold up at the point of attack.

Ansah is an intriguing prospect. His measurables are going to raise his draft stock. I see him as a poor man's Chandler Jones whom the patriots took with their 1st round pick last year. Right now he;s fringe early 2nd pick untill latest 40th IMO. So Miami does have a shot at him right now pre-combine. However the combine will showcase his pure athleticism especially short shuttle and 3-cones. Also Mayock is enthused almost gushing over his potential.

BYU had Ansah roaming across the line from hands up in 5 technique to zero across the center. He has a "relentless motor" playing to the whistle. I have only 2 criticisms of his: firstly he relies primarily on bullrush and being stonewall too often. With coaching and tutelage from Wake, his pass rush repertoire will expand. Additionally as Ansah gains access to these techniques, his second criticism will alleviated since he can counter OL and reengage.

IMO his NFL position: Elephant rusher - weakside 6 or 7 technique

Last edited by a moderator:
Ansah is a little more disruptive playing from a 2-point stance than he is with his hand on the ground right now. He's too raw and inexperienced at football and hasn't had the chance to really learn the fundamentals and technique to be a consistent force from a 3-point stance.

His core strength and natural functional football strength are rare for such an inexperienced player.

I like the elephant rusher concept. I think that fits him perfectly. This kid reminds me of Willie McGinnest. I think he has that type of potential after he's received a little seasoning.

I'd rather go the werner route in round one, and address WR with our early 2nd round pick... maybe even back to back 2nd round picks on a corner.

i'm not even against something like werner, WR, WR, than a flyer on carradine in the third... although I have an eye on jonathon cooper in there somewhere depending on how our OL shakes out...

big dogs... any chance carradine makes it to the fourth or fifth round???

Back
Top Bottom