Top QB Prospects - 2007 Draft | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top QB Prospects - 2007 Draft

Who is the best QB Prospect for Miami in '07?

• Total voters
I don't think Russell is that much like Culpepper, and certainly not like Vick. Russell seems to make much faster decisions, and is very accurrate(not that Culpepper isn't). I didn't notice at all where Russell depended on his legs to make a play, other than the designed QB draw. I saw him rely on his size to avoid a sack, but never did I see him rely on his ability to run. t just so happens that he can run very well.

Still considering the fact that just about anyone can rack up passing yards and scores against that putrid ND defense, I wasn't that impressed with Russell's performance. Also, it is easier to make faster decisions when a guy is always wide open especially in college. And chances are, he may return to LSU.

Before the Saban debacle, I did not feel as if the Dolphins should draft a QB in the 1st round. However, with a new coach coming in, I think it is the perfect time to draft a QB if the right one is available. You've got Daunte coming back - he should be healthy enough to play. If he does great, the 1st round QB sits for a year or two as Rivers did and you trade Culpepper after that time. If Culpepper struggles, let the new QB play a few games into the season as happened with V. Young, Leinart, and Cutler this year. The only thing that goes against this strategy is Huizenga's comment that he wants to win sooner rather than later. But I don't think the Titans, Cards, and Broncos would argue you have to delay winning by 2-3 years by drafting a 1st round QB.

I think there are 3 QBs that would be worthy of the 9th pick - Quinn, Russell, or Brohm. I think Quinn and Russell (assuming he declares) would be gone by the 9th pick. I would hope Brohm (if he declares and based on some comments made after the Orange Bowl, he seems to be considering it) makes it to #9 and is the Dolphins pick. I like his makeup and he seems to have both the physical skills and intangibles to be successful.

In looking at the 8 teams drafting before the Dolphins, obviously the Raiders and Lions will probably be looking at QB. However, an argument could be made that the next 6 teams (Browns, Bucs, Cards, Redskins, Vikings, Texans) will not be looking for a QB in the 1st round.

(1) The Browns could go QB, but they've got 2 young QBs and from what I've seen they may be looking to bring in a veteran.

(2) The Bucs just resigned Chris Simms

(3) Cards - Leinart

(4) Redskins - Campbell

(5) Vikings - Spent a 2nd round pick last year on Tavaris Jackson - they could go QB, but hopefully not. (I realize the Dolphins spent a 2nd round pick on Culpepper, but I think the situations are different.)

(6) Texans - Spent a lot of money on David Carr last year and he did progress some this year with Gary Kubiak

So, it is possible Brohm is there with the 9th pick. Also, the teams picking immediately behind the Dolphins (Falcons, 49ers, Bills, Rams) would not be drafting QB in the 1st round and therefore it is unlikely they would trade up in front of the Dolphins to acquire a QB. Panthers at #14 could possibly be looking at QB, but they would have to give up a lot to go from #14 to #8 or higher.

The Dolphins need to get their own QB that hopefully can be theirs for 10-12 years. It is the most important piece of the football team and once a team gets that position settled, it is much easier to fill in the remaining spots. The Dolphins had very low rated QBs in passer rating the last 2 years (29th in 2006 and 28th in 2005) - need to get that in the top half of the league in order to be competitive. Teams strike gold with later round QBs at times, but the most proven way to get a quality QB is to draft one in the 1st round.

Before the Saban debacle, I did not feel as if the Dolphins should draft a QB in the 1st round. However, with a new coach coming in, I think it is the perfect time to draft a QB if the right one is available. You've got Daunte coming back - he should be healthy enough to play. If he does great, the 1st round QB sits for a year or two as Rivers did and you trade Culpepper after that time. If Culpepper struggles, let the new QB play a few games into the season as happened with V. Young, Leinart, and Cutler this year. The only thing that goes against this strategy is Huizenga's comment that he wants to win sooner rather than later. But I don't think the Titans, Cards, and Broncos would argue you have to delay winning by 2-3 years by drafting a 1st round QB.

I think there are 3 QBs that would be worthy of the 9th pick - Quinn, Russell, or Brohm. I think Quinn and Russell (assuming he declares) would be gone by the 9th pick. I would hope Brohm (if he declares and based on some comments made after the Orange Bowl, he seems to be considering it) makes it to #9 and is the Dolphins pick. I like his makeup and he seems to have both the physical skills and intangibles to be successful.

In looking at the 8 teams drafting before the Dolphins, obviously the Raiders and Lions will probably be looking at QB. However, an argument could be made that the next 6 teams (Browns, Bucs, Cards, Redskins, Vikings, Texans) will not be looking for a QB in the 1st round.

(1) The Browns could go QB, but they've got 2 young QBs and from what I've seen they may be looking to bring in a veteran.

(2) The Bucs just resigned Chris Simms

(3) Cards - Leinart

(4) Redskins - Campbell

(5) Vikings - Spent a 2nd round pick last year on Tavaris Jackson - they could go QB, but hopefully not. (I realize the Dolphins spent a 2nd round pick on Culpepper, but I think the situations are different.)

(6) Texans - Spent a lot of money on David Carr last year and he did progress some this year with Gary Kubiak

So, it is possible Brohm is there with the 9th pick. Also, the teams picking immediately behind the Dolphins (Falcons, 49ers, Bills, Rams) would not be drafting QB in the 1st round and therefore it is unlikely they would trade up in front of the Dolphins to acquire a QB. Panthers at #14 could possibly be looking at QB, but they would have to give up a lot to go from #14 to #8 or higher.

The Dolphins need to get their own QB that hopefully can be theirs for 10-12 years. It is the most important piece of the football team and once a team gets that position settled, it is much easier to fill in the remaining spots. The Dolphins had very low rated QBs in passer rating the last 2 years (29th in 2006 and 28th in 2005) - need to get that in the top half of the league in order to be competitive. Teams strike gold with later round QBs at times, but the most proven way to get a quality QB is to draft one in the 1st round.

Completelly agree!!!

I have to say that the more I look at that eight teams ahead of us, the more concerned I get. Anywhere from four to six of them could go QB if they find one of these potential greats falling into their lap.

The only reassurance I would have is if all three highly-regarded juniors declared. Adding Brohm, Russell and Brennan turns this into a stellar QB draft and all but insures that one will fall to us.

Another interesting scenario I've heard recently floated is that Detroit could trade spots with Atlanta for Matt Schaub. The Falcons would then use the #2 spot to draft LT Joe Thomas.

This makes things even more interesting should both Brohm and Brennan declare. If Russell and Quinn go in the Top 5 and Detroit nabs Schaub by trade, it greatly improves the chances Brian Brohm falls to us at #9.

None of them are overly impressive IMO. Brohm and Beck are the two I would be most interested in.

Back
Top Bottom