Top QB Prospects - 2007 Draft | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Top QB Prospects - 2007 Draft

Who is the best QB Prospect for Miami in '07?

• Total voters
jlfin said:
The object of the game is to build a winning football team. You don't bypass a talented QB prospect just because you have money invested in veteran QB's who are clearly over rated and who can't produce.
That is ridiculous. If the Phins make a stupid mistake like that they deserve to remain an NFL also ran.

YES!! I really hope that Saban understands this. And while its nice to draft guys in the later rounds, at this point we need a top notch prospect, meaning first round. Unless we are just totally out of position to draft one, we NEED to take a guy in the first.

Quinn is likely going top 3, depending on who eventually falls where. Troy Smith and Brohm would fight for the second QB slot, going anywhere from 5-15 likely. Russell would go from 15-25, possibly sliding up if Brohm doesnt declare, while Brennen goes in the later round.

At this point, I think our best shot is Smith. Even it looks like he is going before us, we SHOULD be able to move up and grab him. Im really hoping the stupid height thing will push him down-it has the potential. As for his off field thing-he took some money from a booster. Its not like hes beating his girl or assaulting cops, driving drunk or stabbing people :)

But yeah, Joey has proved he is not a starter now. He can be good, but he is not consistent enough, and not enough of a playmaker to make up for the inconsistency.
And DC just gives off the smell of being washed up. Big injuries, mental issues, bla bla, all has been said before. I for one dont want to pin our future on his shoulders without insurance that a young gun would give us.

Build the team around the QB, not the other way.

Brennan is intriguing; one would hope he declares, along with Brohm. The more quality prospects are in the draft, the greater our ability to nab one where we'll be selecting (8-14).

At this point, I'd even demand we give up a package of picks to move up another six spots or so, if it meant we got Brian Brohm.

Moving up 6 spots when we will already be around 10th will cost to much. But 2-3 spot is realistic I think. We need a QB in the worst way, but we dont need anyone so badly that we pull a Ditka and trade the whole draft away :)

Well, we picked what, 15, last year? At 9-7 we were midround. Obviously we'll be finishing with a worse record this year. With two more tough games against motivated playoff contenders (Jets and Colts), the Fins could be picking in the Top 10, after all.

As much as I like a lot of these candidates, seems there are enough quality prospects that we shouldn't have to use our first round pick on QB. Rather we draft a LT in round 1.

Boomer said:
There are 5 potential 1st round QB's Brady Quinn, Brian Brohm, JaMarcus Russell, Colt Brennan and Troy Smith. Brohm will almost certainly stay in school, Russell had a great year but has issues over intelligence, Brennan is on the fence over coming out but is ridiculously accurate with a gun, Smith has a cannon, is accurate, but has height and off field issues.
Hey Boomer,
As I posted earlier I think Stanton could be a really good QB, but I wanted to see if there is anything going around your circle of whether he's considered damaged goods right now????

He had a disappointing year D, but he has moxie and he's probably a 2nd rounder, but he needs to answer some questions between now and April.

Boomer said:
He had a disappointing year D, but he has moxie and he's probably a 2nd rounder, but he needs to answer some questions between now and April.
Thanks for the update. The one thing that I really like about him is that "moxie". I've stated this a few different times, but any qb who was willing to be a gunner on kick coverages just to be on the field has a demeanor of a "player". he definately had a rough senior outing, but he definately has the tools to work with.

of course Im going to say my boy Brian Brohm....he did tell local media that he is planning on staying for his senior year but he also said that he will keep his NFL options open, he says he wont make a desicion until after the Orange Bowl, so I think if he has a good bowl he will likely come out. But Im scared the Panthers might grab him before we will in the draft.

As for Colt Brennan....I wouldnt take him in the 1st round....although he put up huge numbers, he plays in the WAC a VERY VERY weak conference. Im not taking nothing away from him but he was in a very easy high powered offence system, throw the ball 10 yards and let the WR do the rest

Chris Leak lacks ideal height for the NFL...and he makes way too many mistakes...his mechanics will need a lot of work as well.

Drew Stanton has definatly had a disapointing season, In some games he looks like a sure 1st rounder but in other games he looks like a undrafted free agent...wildley inconsistant. but he has great mobilty and can throw on the run better than most QB's.....hes also very injury prone.

Jordan Palmer throws way too many INT's....he forces a lot of passes that shouldnt be thrown

Tyler Palko is a guy I wouldnt mind drafting in a later round...he makes good desicions with the ball, a smart QB

fins2354 said:
of course Im going to say my boy Brian Brohm....he did tell local media that he is planning on staying for his senior year but he also said that he will keep his NFL options open, he says he wont make a desicion until after the Orange Bowl, so I think if he has a good bowl he will likely come out. But Im scared the Panthers might grab him before we will in the draft.

As for Colt Brennan....I wouldnt take him in the 1st round....although he put up huge numbers, he plays in the WAC a VERY VERY weak conference. Im not taking nothing away from him but he was in a very easy high powered offence system, throw the ball 10 yards and let the WR do the rest

Chris Leak lacks ideal height for the NFL...and he makes way too many mistakes...his mechanics will need a lot of work as well.

Drew Stanton has definatly had a disapointing season, In some games he looks like a sure 1st rounder but in other games he looks like a undrafted free agent...wildley inconsistant. but he has great mobilty and can throw on the run better than most QB's.....hes also very injury prone.

Jordan Palmer throws way too many INT's....he forces a lot of passes that shouldnt be thrown

Tyler Palko is a guy I wouldnt mind drafting in a later round...he makes good desicions with the ball, a smart QB
:lol:

And you are taking plenty of "things" away from brennan with both of these comments:
although he put up huge numbers, he plays in the WAC a VERY VERY weak conference
he was in a very easy high powered offence system, throw the ball 10 yards and let the WR do the rest
By the way I saw you say he was 6'1" in another thread. He is 6'3" 190lbs. That's certainly on the light side, but not the short side.
And I like how you don't mention his unbelievable accuracy. Even Timmy Chang, who you were referencing by saying you could plug any QB in that offense and do well, never came close to sniffing 60% completions. Brennan may be in a system offense, but he has gone above and beyond what you would expect from even some of the best system QBs.

i believe palmer could be there in the third which i could see us going for him but my favorite is Brohm as the most realistic option but i doubt miami goes first round QB.

hopefully we can find a Kellen Clemens on draft day

in a PBP article this dude was called this year's Cutler(hopefully we could get him in the 2nd)

Trent Edwards

Position:QB
Number:05
School:Stanford
Height:6'4
Weight:210
  • He is a player at the quarterback position that i have very high hopes for
  • He has everything you look for in a quarterback, the size and athletic ability jump out at you, his toughness and willingness to stand tall in the pocket when it is apparent he has to take the hit to complete the pass, he looks to pass first and scramble second, and when he does scramble he is very effective at it in that he makes a quick decision and goes
  • He also has the mobility to do both run and throw on the move, he is as adaptable passing on the run or in the pocket, but I and I believe he prefers to throw from the pocket first, and with his mobility he keeps plays alive moving around extending plays keeping his eyes down field for the completion, and at the same time keeping a defense honest with his running ability
  • I am also impressed with his poise and quick decision making he shows in the pocket, he has a quick release, with a strong and accurate arm, he also has the variety of touches and arm strength needed to make a defense have to defend the entire field, he reminds me of former NFL quarterback "Troy Aikman" in all of the above characteristics except that he is a more mobile and athletic player than Aikman
  • He has all the physical skills you look for in a quarterback, but will he progress mentally as a young quarterback with few snaps in his career?
if he is a mobile Aikman, I would take him in any round

Back
Top Bottom