Tour De France winner Landis tests positive for drugs according to his team. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tour De France winner Landis tests positive for drugs according to his team.

djfresh47 said:
Isn't their a boatload of evidence against Lance Armstrong for taking roids also? It's funny how the media's coverage of certain atheletes changes our perception of them. Barry Bonds is crucified and Lance Armstrong is a national hero, for doing the same thing, allegedly. Didn't Jan Ulrich get suspended for doping before the tour de france also?

As for the arguement about football players taking HGH or roids, I think more football players than baeball players are using them. The NFL just has an amazing public relations department and is better run than MLB. The NFL doesn't test for HGH nor does NHL or the NBA, but because Bud Selig refused to do anything about roids when Sosa and McGwire were hitting homeruns with balloon heads we automatically incriminate baseball players who have a career year. Yet if a NFL player suddenly has a great season after dwelling in mediocrity they've worked hard all offseason and have finally developed? If a baseball player had the kind of jump in production that Thomas Jones had fans would be suspicious yet nobody even questions NFL players. The Carolina Panthers roid scandal just blew over as if nothing happened, Jason Grimsley was the center of the sports world.
and no one does anything about it because hes a media darling. I dont like BArry as a person at all but leave the guy alone if hes the only one your going to persecute. You have to go after lance if your going after barry the way you are. Go after McGwire to.

23Ronnie23 said:
Let me gues the- their just big guys theory, right. Look at basketball players ,who workout everyday too, and compare them to football players. You cant, football players are twice as big as basketball players are. Considering that basketball players are taller and are supposed to be bigger guys than football players yet they still look half the size. If anyone ever blows the lid on the NFL and performance enhancing drugs the NFl will be waist deep in it.

Working out to be in basketball shape and football shape are completely different. One is building bulk the other is to be cut. Them being big proves nothing.

23Ronnie23 said:
i know a kid who took steroids and ballooned up and looked like a mini NFL player. His head got bigger and so did he. He became twice the size of what he wasss in like 4 months

pffft...EYE know a guy that does that every time a fire ant bites him ..BIG deal

23Ronnie23 said:
If Floyd Landis and Jason Grimsley have tested positive for performance enhancing drugs why shouldnt i believe that over half of the NFL does it. The NFL guys are three times the size of these guys. Theyre actually barry bonds and Mark McGwire big.

Landis is a shrimp compared to Bonds and McGwire?!

I hope its wrong but most you people have no, and I repeat no idea how tough it is to do what they do.

I'm a mountainbike rider and I can tell you, I'm in good shape and race, I would not last a day with what they do on the tour.

I hope its a false test and the French after the USA again, but don't let it take away from what the clean riders do!

SMH at this whole situation. And I went on ESPN and seen this big front page about "Shockingly Stunning" and "A sad day in cycling" . . all these bold quotes w/o any solid proof that Landis did anything wrong. And guess who was it blowing the story wayyyy out of proportion . . our good friend Mr. Pat Forde, the same person who tried to tarnish the Miami Hurricanes for a rap song done on personal time recorded over 2 years ago . . this guy tries to earn his stripes by giving "shock value" to a story.

And to you guys who believe he cheated . . please, these cases are extremely common in cycling . . and Europeans who have dominated the race for years are really pissed off at the streak of the Americans. Everyone believes Armstrong cheated and now Landis is the next victim. Mark my words, this whole case will be dismissed and nothing will happen. If anything he took something, whether its like a cortisone shot for his hip or I have heard he has a thyroid disorder and he takes medicine for that, these medicines caused his levels to raise, I would be extremely shocked if he took any kind of performance enchancing supplements knowingly.

They said a "sex hormone", hell his wife was looking pretty good, maybe Floyd took something to handle that after that performance in the time trial lol. They tried throwing Lance under the bus, but they were missing one thing . . proof, plenty of allegations and raised testorone levels, but thats not illegal . . Landis will be ok.

NJFINSFAN1 said:
Landis is a shrimp compared to Bonds and McGwire?!

I hope its wrong but most you people have no, and I repeat no idea how tough it is to do what they do.

I'm a mountainbike rider and I can tell you, I'm in good shape and race, I would not last a day with what they do on the tour.

I hope its a false test and the French after the USA again, but don't let it take away from what the clean riders do!

One day?? LOL people don't understand that these guys race all year, and when u get up in them Alps, driver after driver quits the race . . its way to much for them . . which makes it more amazing to see what Lance did. You have to be in tip top shape to even think about riding in this race. Its more physical than any soccer, football, or basketball game will ever be . . its literally the ultimate test in endurance in physical ability.

djfresh47 said:
Isn't their a boatload of evidence against Lance Armstrong for taking roids also? It's funny how the media's coverage of certain atheletes changes our perception of them. Barry Bonds is crucified and Lance Armstrong is a national hero, for doing the same thing, allegedly. Didn't Jan Ulrich get suspended for doping before the tour de france also?

Actually, there isn't any evidence of Lance Armstrong taking steroids during any of his Tour victories, and nothing similar to what just happened to Landis happened to Armstrong. As far as Armstrong's case is concerned, there were many who were willing to testify he did, but no evidence ever came up, neither during his Tour victories or afterwards.

Here's a summary of how the latest attempt to link him to doping fell through by Dutch investigators:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/31/D8HUPHU00.html

As far as Ullrich is concerned, for someone who attests he is innocent, he sure doesn't want anyone to do any further tests on him. And yes, he and the potential winner Ivan Basso (as well as last year's 4th and 5th placed riders - so 2nd through 5th in total) were found to be linked to doping before the Tour.

Kdawg954 said:
SMH at this whole situation. And I went on ESPN and seen this big front page about "Shockingly Stunning" and "A sad day in cycling" . . all these bold quotes w/o any solid proof that Landis did anything wrong. And guess who was it blowing the story wayyyy out of proportion . . our good friend Mr. Pat Forde, the same person who tried to tarnish the Miami Hurricanes for a rap song done on personal time recorded over 2 years ago . . this guy tries to earn his stripes by giving "shock value" to a story.

And to you guys who believe he cheated . . please, these cases are extremely common in cycling . . and Europeans who have dominated the race for years are really pissed off at the streak of the Americans. Everyone believes Armstrong cheated and now Landis is the next victim. Mark my words, this whole case will be dismissed and nothing will happen. If anything he took something, whether its like a cortisone shot for his hip or I have heard he has a thyroid disorder and he takes medicine for that, these medicines caused his levels to raise, I would be extremely shocked if he took any kind of performance enchancing supplements knowingly.

They said a "sex hormone", hell his wife was looking pretty good, maybe Floyd took something to handle that after that performance in the time trial lol. They tried throwing Lance under the bus, but they were missing one thing . . proof, plenty of allegations and raised testorone levels, but thats not illegal . . Landis will be ok.

I hope, for Floyd Landis' sake, you are right

As far as NFL and steroid use, 2005 saw the US congress hold hearings on this, and the NFL, while told they need to get tougher, was generally seen as having implemented a much tougher anti-steroid policy than the other pro leagues.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/28/MNGK2CGNGS1.DTL

So, saying steroid use is rampant in the NFL (or that at least half use it) might be based more on perception than fact. In any case, don't forget that though the average size of the football player in general has continued to increase, much of that increase in the average comes from an increase in the size of linemen, not necessarily the other players:

http://www.statenews.com/article.phtml?pk=32211

Apparently, (at least in that article) much of the change is due to "the advent of year-round weight training programs and nutritional planning. And more often than not, the bigger the player, the more he's in demand."

ckb2001 said:
Actually, there isn't any evidence of Lance Armstrong taking steroids during any of his Tour victories, and nothing similar to what just happened to Landis happened to Armstrong. As far as Armstrong's case is concerned, there were many who were willing to testify he did, but no evidence ever came up, neither during his Tour victories or afterwards.

Here's a summary of how the latest attempt to link him to doping fell through by Dutch investigators:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/05/31/D8HUPHU00.html

As far as Ullrich is concerned, for someone who attests he is innocent, he sure doesn't want anyone to do any further tests on him. And yes, he and the potential winner Ivan Basso (as well as last year's 4th and 5th placed riders - so 2nd through 5th in total) were found to be linked to doping before the Tour.

So all the allegations against Lance are merely coincidence? Congress loved the NFL steroid policy, because they actually had one and MLB didn't. I think the hearing were absolutely pathetic and a joke considering other things that are going on. The NFL does not test for HGH and as fans are we not going to believe that the atheletes are one step ahead of the testers? Or is it only true for baseball players not football guys? The NFL is just better run and Bud Selig is the biggest joke in professional sports; which is why we concentrate on MLB players that get busted yet forget that I believe Romo admitted to juicing. The biggest 'roid news from the NFL that I can remember was Lyle Alzodo which really was just him guessing that 'roids lead to brain cancer. Why do we give the NFL a free pass because congress said they've got a good testing program? Really do they test for HGH? Why do people kill MLB for not testing yet give the NHL, Nba, NFL a free pass?

djfresh47 said:
So all the allegations against Lance are merely coincidence?

No one knows what the truth is (including us) except Lance I guess, but this is really a case of innocent until proven guilty. So far, Lance has won that part of the battle (the evidence part).

LeMond urges Landis to be honest about charges

Three-time Tour de France champion Greg LeMond says the doping charges against fellow American Floyd Landis could be "what cycling has needed for many years" in order to discourage cheating.

"If he is confirmed positive, I hope he has the courage to tell the truth," LeMond said in an interview with French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche released on Saturday. "He alone can change the face of the sport today. His example could be a symbol of change."

In a veiled reference to seven-time winner Lance Armstrong, long dogged by doping allegations, LeMond added: "I hope that [Landis] won't do what another American did: Deny, deny, deny."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/more/specials/tour_de_france/2006/07/29/bc.cyc.landis.lemond.ap/index.html

Here's some news from Germany that I haven't seen printed in the US. Apparently, Landis' testosterone ratio (according to FAZ) was 11:1 !! Remember, the acceptable level is 4:1, which is reduced from 6:1 a few years back, and people were saying if Landis' ratio is around 4:1 maybe he didn't do it.

The headline of FAZ's article reads "Experten einig: „Landis war gedopt” ", or "Experts agree: 'Landis doped' ":
http://www.faz.net/s/Rub7AA053985DF...C59C78BF4C225874EE~ATpl~Ecommon~Sspezial.html

Well, anyway, we still have to wait till the other tests are done, but it's interesting how much attention this is getting in a German newspaper (notice the entire page contains more than 10 articles on this and related stuff). I can't remember this happening with Armstrong, ever.

ckb2001 said:
Here's some news from Germany that I haven't seen printed in the US. Apparently, Landis' testosterone ratio (according to FAZ) was 11:1 !! Remember, the acceptable level is 4:1, which is reduced from 6:1 a few years back, and people were saying if Landis' ratio is around 4:1 maybe he didn't do it.

The headline of FAZ's article reads "Experten einig: „Landis war gedopt†", or "Experts agree: 'Landis doped' ":
http://www.faz.net/s/Rub7AA053985DFF48EF8FC90134F1C3C48C/Doc~E01D419E8818E46C59C78BF4C225874EE~ATpl~Ecommon~Sspezial.html

Well, anyway, we still have to wait till the other tests are done, but it's interesting how much attention this is getting in a German newspaper (notice the entire page contains more than 10 articles on this and related stuff). I can't remember this happening with Armstrong, ever.

I'm telling you man, its like another world when it comes to sports over in Germany. All you hear about is Ulrich, Ullrich, Ullrich . . and everytime Lance beats him, they think Lance is on drugs, they have thought it for the longest. Trust me, I was over there and thats what the majority thinks. Hell most of the people believe he retired because he knew how strict the doping tests were going to be. I mean he may have done something, but as long as there is no proof, he will be fine. I hope for goodness sake Landis did not take anything, and why is Lemond being so down on both of the guys, did he want to be the only American with the glory of winning "Le Tour"?

Back
Top Bottom