Trading Randy Starks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Randy Starks

Elliott 1

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Things to consider:
Pro Bowl this year, and was a snub last year. His stock is sky high.

He is 27 playing in the final year of his contract. It will take BIG money next year to sign him.

Tony McDaniel is really starting to get it and he graded out really well this past year. He wasn't however, a starter, so his price tag will still be reasonable. It is reasonable to assume if McDaniel isn't promised a legitimate shot at more snaps, he will test free agency, and there are several teams desperate for 3-4 DE's. (Denver,Packers,Patriots,Bills,Browns,etc.)
If that happens, the Dolphins of course, get nothing.

Yes, we would all rather trade Merling, but he has no value.

Odrick will be back healthy, God willing.

I assume Soliai will also be re-signed, and I expect the Dolphins to pursue Shaun Rogers after Cleveland releases him. In fact, if Starks is traded, the Dolphins may even trade for Rogers and pay him the 5.5 mil. He can still collapse a pocket.

Maybe this will be the year Ryan Baker learns to stay on his feet and not fall down. Hey, Tamba Hali overcame the same problem and he was argueably the most effective pass rusher in the NFL last year.

That guy Robert Rose has some great athleticism. I don't know if they are giving him a futures contract or not.

Dolphins could be 5 or 6 deep at DE and have two NT's even without Starks

I think I would look to trade him for a late 1st or early 2nd. He could also be packaged with another player like Sapp,Henne,Crowder,Dobbins,Culver,Hilliard, etc.

I think the Packers would be very interested. Johny Jolly is a problem and he is a free agent. Cullen Jenkins is injury prone and a free agent and other than those two guys they have 0 depth.

Starks was signed to a 5 year deal in 2008 how is he a free agent this year?

You keep as much talent as you can then you work hard to keep that talent while also ADDING to that talent pool. When a player is doing well, you use him, not trade him. Knowing this front office, they will simply use the pick to draft another lineman.

You keep as much talent as you can then you work hard to keep that talent while also ADDING to that talent pool. When a player is doing well, you use him, not trade him. Knowing this front office, they will simply use the pick to draft another lineman.

Agreed, seeing as he still has 2 years left on his contract, and only being 27....you keep him. Maybe after next season and players like Odrick and Merling prove themselves, would you trade Starks. But until you have proven products to replace the proven product in place do you make that decision.

People here like the OP, are so quick to tear down what is being built. No patience, no common sense, no foresight.

McDaniel quietly had a very good year. He was very impressive against the Titans and the Bears when he had significant playing time.
We won't be able to keep all of them (Odrick, Starks, Langford, McDaniel, Merling) so it makes sense to trade one of the guys that has trade value. IMO that would be Starks or Langford. As someone stated earlier, there are several teams that will be desperate for a productive 3-4 DE.
Keeping Soliai should be a priority.

Not to mention, he sounded like Sparano... "McDaniel 'graded out' well."

It might help to actually read the thread.

I read your thread. I agree with your thought process but I was just pointing out a factual error that was used as a main point in your thread

You know it is an interesting concept. I don't like the idea of getting rid of him at all, though.

Like others have said, he is 27, and coming off back to back Pro Bowl caliber campaigns. He is our best DE.

If you are drafting guys like Odrick in the 1st, you want them to grow up and be like Starks or better. So why get rid of him? We never use the franchise tag, and that would be an option if he has a great 2011.

I like McDaniel, but if I had a priority on who to sign now, it would be Solai.

It might help to actually read the thread.

Did read it. Why trade a PB caliber player with 2 years left on his contract? And leave unproven injury prone players to pick the slack?

Why the hell do u guys wanna trade Starks so bad? Who would fill his spot? Odrick? Merling? NO!!! He's the best end we have and can also play nose. He's among the best players on our D and shouldnt be going anywhere anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom