Trading Randy Starks | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Trading Randy Starks

Starks is tough but i wouldn't dismiss the trading option. If you look at what NE did with Seymour when is the right time to trade someone. When their stock is falling? Or when it is at a peak? NE missed Seymour BUT they got a 1st rd pick for him! DE is a position of depth for us. I think Starks gets you that 2nd rd pick back without having to trade down in the 1st. Maybe that gets us a legit QB or certainly increases the odds on getting a starter somewhere. Would he be missed - absolutley - but we have DE's that can step in and replace him. It would also give TMcD a reason to stay and resign since he wants to be a starter and no way would he with Starks here.

If you could get a decent 2nd rd pick for him i would move him. Keep the youth movement going. Odrick stepping in or bringing back TMcD with Langsford on the other side and seeing if Merling will finally wake up.

This is all irrelevant anyways since there will be no trading until there is a new CBA which won't happen until way after the draft the way it looks.

Things to consider:
Pro Bowl this year, and was a snub last year. His stock is sky high.

He is 27 playing in the final year of his contract. It will take BIG money next year to sign him.

Langford is in his last year of his contract coming up. He has value too.

1) starter since he was drafted 2) stays healthy 3) 2010 was his best season 4) still has upside as he is progressing every year and it's a good possibility that he will see a pro bowl 5) at 25 he is younger than Starks.

If Tyson Jackson can go 3rd overall then either starks or langford can garner a 2nd.

opposing teams may want Langford ahead of Starks. He's younger, upside still left, and the team will get Langford for one year on the cheap.

With all the money invested in the D-line now may be the best time to trade Langford for fiscal reasons. i would take a 2nd and trade it for a 1st in 2012.. I've talked about this scenario of trading starks or langford for a 2nd for two months now. DE is our deepest position on the team, especially if we resign McDaniel... so if we want a 2nd rounder, you go with the position you are deepest in.

If somehow we can trade either of those two and turn it into a 1st in 2012 by trading the pick received, it would be a good move.

Need a new CBA first though before any players can be moved.

If Starks can bring you a 1st and 3rd, do it. The Phins have a glut of 3-4 DE's in a time where 3-4 DE's are needed and people over pay.

If Ireland/Sparono can continue to sign a former 5th rounder; develop and flip for 1st and 3rd. Then the Phins can wash the stench of bad drafting off.

NO! Odrick is unproven so far and has bust potential

Only if his career is derailed by recurring injuries. I don't think his broken fibula is a sign that he is injury prone. His leg was rolled over in the Buffalo game. He injured his foot while coming back from the fracture
In TC he earned the starting job and in the Buffalo game he was getting penetration in their backfield regularly. He was even giving Jake Long fits in TC.
He is the most physically gifted of our DE's and has a high ceiling. He has a large frame, has good leverage, uses his hands well to shed blocks and has a high motor. There is nothing from a physical or football IQ standpoint that would suggest he will be a bust. In fact, quite the opposite.
I'm glad we drafted him. In the days leading up to the draft I was afraid the Pats or Jets would take him and he would be thorn in our side for the next 10 yrs or so.

I think I would look to trade him for a late 1st or early 2nd. He could also be packaged with another player like Sapp,Henne,Crowder,Dobbins,Culver,Hilliard, etc.

While Starks is good, he's not going to net you a 1st day pick. Package him with Sapp... who played so badly in nickle for you that he'll be cut... or Henne, who, is ummm... yea... or Crowder, who is probably the worst LB still on a team or a backup RB who didn't get a single carry all season or two backups that can be found on the street.

The most you can get for Starks is probably a 4th rounder. He's a good DE/DL but he's not a game changer... and he does have one year remaining on his contract which means that not only is someone giving up a draft pick, they'll also be resigning him. THat's a tall order.

Langford is our best DE.

Starks is our most versatile DE.

You keep the talent. Don't trade talent. if anything cut or trade Merling, not Starks.

If Starks can bring you a 1st and 3rd, do it. The Phins have a glut of 3-4 DE's in a time where 3-4 DE's are needed and people over pay.

If Ireland/Sparono can continue to sign a former 5th rounder; develop and flip for 1st and 3rd. Then the Phins can wash the stench of bad drafting off.

A first and a third? Pass the dutch.

Langford is our best DE.

Starks is our most versatile DE.

You keep the talent. Don't trade talent. if anything cut or trade Merling, not Starks.

Problem is that Merling has no value right now. At least not 2nd round value. Personally, I'm against trading Langford or Starks.

Can't trade crap until a new CBA is in place. If it's not in place before the draft then what's the purpose.

IMO Cleveland will transition to the 4-3 defense. It's what Tom Hackert (GM) and Mike Holmgren (VP of Operations) know and you stick with what you know. However, Houston could transition to the 3-4 with Wade Phillips now their DC. I've been thinking a lot about this and wondering where Mario Williams would fit but they might not make the transition whole heartedly next year, it may be more of a hybrid 4-3/3-4.

Can't trade crap until a new CBA is in place. If it's not in place before the draft then what's the purpose.

IMO Cleveland will transition to the 4-3 defense. It's what Tom Hackert (GM) and Mike Holmgren (VP of Operations) know and you stick with what you know. However, Houston could transition to the 3-4 with Wade Phillips now their DC. I've been thinking a lot about this and wondering where Mario Williams would fit but they might not make the transition whole heartedly next year, it may be more of a hybrid 4-3/3-4.

Houston is a definte possibility. Williams will probably play OLB for them although he has 3-4 DE size. Amobi Okoye could probably be a pretty good 3-4 DE. Outside of that, their DL isn't that good.

Trading Starks, keeping Soliai and McDaniels is a solid idea. Patriots have made this kind of move an art form. Trade a veteran that still has value with an expiring contract, have multiple picks in the process, therefore solidifying the future of your team. Starks, although a solid contributor to the defense, is not a game changer. A better investment can be made with other talented FAs.

Back
Top Bottom