Tuesday May 18th QB Camp Report | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tuesday May 18th QB Camp Report

Finsflurry

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Practice starts off with a big meeting by the TC doors which seemed to last forever...couldn't hear who was talking but I saw Wanny's arms flying around. Finally they split up up for drills, same ones they always do. Timbo was back out there, and it looks like he shed at least 10-15 pounds, he almost looks back to 2003 form which is a huge relief. He is the cog of our run defense and hopefully the weight stays off this time. Larry Chester is just a block of muscle, I believe he'll be the suprise of the line this year, just watching him on passing downs he's getting a real nice push, just imagine Taylor-Williams-Chester-Wale rushing the qb...wow. Remember when we first signed him his first TC he looked like the new Warren Sapp but his weight really limited him..he won't have that problem this year. With Wale discussing a long-term deal I'm feeling much better about the d-line than I did a couple of weeks ago. Anyways, the de's and lb's did some stripping the ballcarrier drills, I noticed that Seau has really good form at those, he was ripping them out with ease. Then Mare drilled FG's with Turk holding through the narrow goalposts. Will Poole was coming off the edge with a great burst on these drills, was he a kick-blocker at USC? Hopefully he'll pan out and we can have the next Ed Reed, he almost blocked a couple.

Then they switched to some coverage drills with the lbs and dbs, I think Greenwood and Jenkins are our best coverage linebackers, they were all over their guys. Then some wr's got back in coverage, boy Sam Simmons wouldn't be half bad back there! He's lightning quick and was jamming the people off the line. The QB's were off throwing to each other, no one doing much. The cb's did over the top catching drills, highlights included Korey Banks nice jumping catch, Reggie Howard's drop, Chris Akins have no clue where the ball is, fingertip drop by Madison, another nice grab by Banks and smooth Pat Surtain gliding to balls with ease, he's so much better than our other CB's IMO. QBs did handoff drills and quick passes, all 3 QBs were on the money and sharp with good velocity. Recievers ran some routes, good to see Boston back out there, did all the drills really well with no discomfort. I'm still trying to figure out how a man that big runs that fast. Then they threw longer routes, great pass by Feeley dropped by Lee followed by a drop by John Jones on a underthrown pass from Sage. Jay threw a couple of nice bullets on the slant to Boston, followed by Chambers making his signature toe-drag catch on the sidelines (I could watch him do that forever) on a throw slightly overthrown by AJ. QBs continue to look great today, Kendall Newson made a terrific catch on a wobbler from Jay, and Jay concentrated on the quick slant while AJ threw more deep outs and Sage mixed it up (Sage had the worst pass of the day a really simple throw to Tolver that was about 5 yards wide). Sullivan was taking a really hands-on approach with Boston, talking to him and pointing out somethig after almost every catch he caught, which I see as a good thing that will keep him focused. O-line and d-line didn't do much, only thing I noticed is Pape and Hadnot lost some weight, maybe about 5-10 pounds but they struggled with the heat and fatigue less than in the prior camp.

Finally they did a scrimmage, here's the PBP:
Jay quick out to Ricky, would've got crushed by Seau
Ricky run to the left, nice blocking by James and Smith
Ricky small gain up the middle stopped by Chester/Zach
False start by St Clair
Jay over the middle to Boston, nice run after catch by David
Jay deep out to Chambers, beautiful shoe-string catch (bad throw by Jay, still struggling with those deep outs)
Handoff to Marley errr Williams
Smith gets turnstiled by JT, looked like that Indy game (shudders), sack
AJ gets sacked again as David Bowens and JT smoke St Clair and Smith
Feeley fumbles the snap, he's really looking rattled right now
Minor gets hit in backfield by Bua, nice up the middle rush by the rookie
Feeley great pass to Newson with the rush in his face
Minor gets stopped at the line by Romero and Bua, Bua starting to impress coaches and drawing praise
Jay in, nice drawplay to Ricky
Bowens sacks Jay as he beats St. Clair again
Jay nice quick out to R-Mac
Jay short swing pass to Minor solid coverage by Bua
False start right side
Jay nice scramble to avoid pressure
Ricky breaks one and takes it to the house
Aj threads one to Chambers
Mionor to the right
Feeley to sideline R-Mac with jumping catch

They finished with some light throwing excercises, overall Jay continued to impress while Feeley showed marked improvement from his last camp but still struggled with the rush, while Sage looked like Sage. I was most impressed on defense with David Bowens and Bua, you can't teach instincts and this kid has plenty of it. On offense Boston and Ricky looked real good, hopefully they turn this adversity into postive energy for themselves. Sorry if the report was long.

Thanks for the update, camp reports can never be to long, when all you get to read is negativity in the sentinel and herald.....

Fin Fan...stuck in Seattle

itsmyk said:
Thanks for the update, camp reports can never be to long, when all you get to read is negativity in the sentinel and herald.....

Fin Fan...stuck in Seattle

True...True. Keep them coming.

As I stated in another thread Eddie Moore isn't doing anything to stand out so I didn't bother to make a report on him...he does seem to healing well and does all the drills, it's just gonna take him some time to get his timing and everything up to speed.

Thanks man! Your doing a great job. Everyone that's going to the camps thank you from NC.

Alrighty guys, here's my report from Dolphins camp today, fresh off the bat. I will first start by saying, I study the Dolphins, they are like life to me, I live by them, they rule my life, so I want what is best for this team, and I am always looking for the positives. With that being said.
Let's start with the QB's. Well, I have to say, sickly is the feeling at least I got watching them. Today the best QB was Jay, but Sage didn't get a rep with the first or second team, so hard to judge him. The reason Jay get's the nod, he can scramble better. The Offensive line was dreadful, as the QB's barely had any time. Jay hit one deep ball to Newson, and the crowd cheered for the pass. A football fan would have seen, and known, that was Jay Fiedler's typical deep pass, Newson came back for the ball, and went over the DB, but it looked good if you don't study football. Jay also hit the new TE Jones with a nice deeper pass, best throw of the day. AJ Feeley to me, looks worse the Griese footwork wise. The guy was sacked every time he dropped back. Ask JT, D-Bow, that Brown guy from Carolina, and even Jay Williams. Feeley hit one out to Boston, and a few others. He still, did not create anytime to throw, and for all the people that say he has a gun, he has a better arm then Fiedler, but no gun. His passes wobble sometimes, and to me, I just don't feel comfortable with him. But hey, a 3 million dollar signing Bonus, a average of 3 million per year, and a 2nd round pick. I'd say he's perfect for the back up role (Sad, very sad). I say, bring in another QB. We can't get worse. There was one play, where Boston and Chambers, both got open down field, I mean, 30 yard play by air, and Jay had time, and threw a pass way short of Chambers. That is what we are expecting, and well, we are wasting two great recievers with that type of play. And, if you say Collins, or Warner, or Gannon can't move, why don't you look at Feeley. I would rather have Drew Bledsoe with our O-line, and that doesn't say much, as we know he is a sitting duck.

WR's

All you Haters of David Boston, and those negative media type people, go to camp, and study his play. He didn't do anything that made your jaw drop, but he played much better, and brings a different dimension to this offense. He caught most of the balls thrown to him, did a nice job on blocking plays, and knocked down an AJ INT. He got open, ran back to after a rep, and listened to coach Sullivan when he did something wrong, he corrected it. Chambers is Chambers, when a ball is thrown well, he caught it. There was talk in the stands about how Chambers is going to be a possession reciever for this team, and play over the middle. To those fans that know it all, The guy is going to line up wide, and with a QB to throw a damn ball, he can be our Fly pattern guy. For anyone to classify him as just a Possession reciever, it's funny. The thing with the rest of our recievers is, I think we have 6 beyond our top 2, worthy of a roster spot. Minnis, Newson, Tolver, Wilkins, Thompson, Simmons, plus the guys in NFLE are playing well. Here's the problem, they all look good in practice, but with this team, you want a good reciever to replace the top 2 if one goes down, and none of those guys make me feel comfortable. I would like a Vet to come in, no matter how many recievers we have. Now, what I say about the rest of our guys. They all seem pretty much even to me, give or take. I say instead of cutting them after the 4th preseason game, why don't we trade a couple if we can, pick up a few extra picks. We have too many decent recievers. We do not have a QB that makes recievers, ala Marino, Farve, etc. We have 2 recievers that can make a QB, but after that, they don't mix. ALA last year all over again.

Randy Mc looked good, so did Jones, and Lee didn't get many passes today.

Ricky was the star of practice of course, Travis and Sammy Morris also looked good. The Quarterback's were dumping the ball over the middle to them on just about every play, because they barely had time.

The Defense was the Defense, Pass rush was definately not a problem. I watch JT, he is a very conceited off the field person, but on the field, he is becoming the leader he should be, you hear and see him messing our with the younger guys, pushing guys like Bowens and Brown and Grigsby. And for the Dolphins to give Ogun a bigger deal then JT, is crazy. And according to what I read and hear, OGUN wants a massive SB, like 12 million. Why waste the money, when we have good enough players to work with JT, and why not spend it on top of extending the core Offensive players, on another recievers, or another hole. If anyone things DE is a priority, it's one of the strongest positions we have in my opinion. We'll be in cap trouble because of Ogun. He hs not worth the big bucks. Leading the AFC in Sacks or not, to want more money then JT is crazy. Just my take on everything, and practice.

Thanks for the reports! I'm still encouraged as this time of year the defense is usually ahead of the offense. I expect Feeley to still be rusty and the OL to still not be in-sinc. Hopefully, we'll be okay come training camp. Thanks again for keeping us up to date!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom