TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED??????????? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

TUSH PUSH TO BE BANNED???????????

They shouldn't be allowed to ban in during this season or postseason. That's BS for the Eagles. Let them have their play, they are amazing at it even if it is cheesy as hell.

HOWEVER......

I agree that the play, as it's currently ruled, gives the offense a huge advantage. I'm surprised a team hasn't trained a def linemen how to run that play, and then line up 2 more D linemen as the RBs..... Im hoping we have this play ready come post season. Put Wilkins under center and have Seiler and Chubb as the RBs. 3rd and short becomes automatic.

They need to nerf it somehow, either make it illegal again or tweak the rule for the defense that makes it more balanced. The Eagles are like 99% successful with the play and that screams "rule imbalance"

bottom line is they aren’t going to be allowing the offense to use a player as a battering ram.

The play was illegal until the last couple of years. Making it legal because ‘it was hard to officiate’ is a stupid way to make something legal. If we legalized every rule that NFL officials have trouble with, there would be no rules.

They shouldn't be allowed to ban in during this season or postseason. That's BS for the Eagles. Let them have their play, they are amazing at it even if it is cheesy as hell.

HOWEVER......

I agree that the play, as it's currently ruled, gives the offense a huge advantage. I'm surprised a team hasn't trained a def linemen how to run that play, and then line up 2 more D linemen as the RBs..... Im hoping we have this play ready come post season. Put Wilkins under center and have Seiler and Chubb as the RBs. 3rd and short becomes automatic.

They need to nerf it somehow, either make it illegal again or tweak the rule for the defense that makes it more balanced. The Eagles are like 99% successful with the play and that screams "rule imbalance"
It won’t be banned in season.

A lot of teams benefit from pushing the ball carrier as much as or more than the Eagles. The Eagles made it popular by using the tush push play at the line of scrimmage, but teams like the Bills push their ball carriers all the time to gain extra yards.

If you ban that, you need to ban any pushing of the ball carrier at all. Make forward progress marked stopped the moment any other player aids the runner.

Leave this in Fins area for 24 hours then moved to General.

Any one have further info on this?
Peoples thoughts, please discuss.

As effective as Philly is with it they could literally run it every play and plod down the field. That’s not football, that’s rugby

I don't have a major problem with the play, except for a few things.
1. The Offense has only recently been allowed to push another player. Make it even. Allow the defense to push a player as well.
2. Most o-linemen are essentially chop blocking at the knees or lower. Call penalties on this please officials.
3. It will eventually lead to alot of injuries. I don't want to hear teams complaining about injuries. Risk of injury is one of the main reasons it hasn't been done alot up until now.
4. No one complain about things like what Jordan Phillips did last week. The offense knows when the snap is coming, so it gives them an advantage. Phillips anticipating when the snap was coming and went early. It gave the olinemen a taste of their own medicine. No complaining that it's dirty. I expect quite a few teams will start doing things that might draw flags just to try to get an upper hand. On the goal line, the risk/reward favors the defense. What is half the distance there from the one yard line to the half yard line?

I don't have a major problem with the play, except for a few things.
1. The Offense has only recently been allowed to push another player. Make it even. Allow the defense to push a player as well.
2. Most o-linemen are essentially chop blocking at the knees or lower. Call penalties on this please officials.
3. It will eventually lead to alot of injuries. I don't want to hear teams complaining about injuries. Risk of injury is one of the main reasons it hasn't been done alot up until now.
4. No one complain about things like what Jordan Phillips did last week. The offense knows when the snap is coming, so it gives them an advantage. Phillips anticipating when the snap was coming and went early. It gave the olinemen a taste of their own medicine. No complaining that it's dirty. I expect quite a few teams will start doing things that might draw flags just to try to get an upper hand. On the goal line, the risk/reward favors the defense. What is half the distance there from the one yard line to the half yard line?
It essentially changes the LOS which cannot happen. There has always been a rule about how many players need to be on the LOS and it should be banned for that reason. Otherwise we are playing rugby.

Was illegal until 2005, so it would be easy to just go back to the older rule. One reason or was changed was because refs said they couldn't really enforce it. And right now refs really don't know anything about what they are looking at.

But nothing will happen this season.

I'll give the Eagles credit for mastering it! No one can stop it. It's an automatic first down or touchdown every time they run it. Having said that, there's no place for that crap in football. Next year get rid of it. While we are on the topic of rules, they also need to do away with the garbage pass interference call. It is NEVER called consistently and it ruins games. It's a stupid rule because you are "assuming" the receiver would have caught the ball. That's a big assumption.

Back
Top Bottom