Two teams interested in Ogun | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Two teams interested in Ogun

PhinPhreak

Perennial All-Pro
Reaction score
Two teams seeking to upgrade their pass rush have an interest in trading for Adewale Ogunleye if the Dolphins place the Pro Bowl defensive end on the trading block.

An NFL source said Sunday that Washington is "definitely" curious about acquiring Ogunleye, who is threatening a lengthy holdout if the Dolphins don't sign him to a long-term contract extension. The Florida Times-Union reported last week that Jacksonville also is closely monitoring the situation.

The Dolphins have not actively pursued trying to trade Ogunleye this offseason, but that could change if an impressive offer is made, especially in light of Ogunleye being unsigned and no contract agreement imminent.

Ogunleye couldn't be traded until re-signing with the Dolphins.

He would likely refuse to sign under a trade scenario unless a suitor was willing to offer a multi-year contract with an eight-digit signing bonus.

Two teams interested in Ogunleye

Let the speculation begin. If Snyder becomes convinced that Ogunleye is a superstar (and the stats, team MVP, etc are all likely to convince a guy like Snyder, who once had Spurrier sign Byron Chamberlain because "he'd heard of him") I could see him offering up something big to get him...maybe that elusive 1st and 3rd.

As for Jacksonville they should be so bad this season that if they offer their first rounder we should take it cuz it could be a top 5 pick in the draft!

i totally agree with you parrothead....we need O-gun but he is being a stubborn jackass lol so the hell with him

He's trying to get paid what the league would be willing to pay him, the Dolphins just know better because they've seen up close that Ogunleye has some problems that they aren't willing to pay him ridiculous amounts of money for. One is that I firmly believe he could not come anywhere close to reproducing his sack results without Jason Taylor and a stellar secondary. Overall last year we had a great secondary because T-Buck played the nickel better than Jamar had been playing it, and even though our safeties struggled over the top on long passes some, Surtain was All-Pro material and Madison did pretty well just not as well as usual.

Ogunleye seems to me like he picks up a lot of coverage sacks. And I insist that yes, he benefits from Jason Taylor being opposite him just as Taylor benefits from Ogunleye being opposite him (JT had an off year you could tell, in any other year without Ogun that would have been a single digit sack year for JT).

He goes to another team without our secondary or a rush-end like JT (ehem Washington), he gets 7 sacks at most.

I'm tired of this O-Gun talk already. Trade him for something or somebody we can use. It doesn't pay to be greedy nowadays. Well unless you're on the New York Yankees, nevermind :lol:

Seems like some guys in the NFL disagree about Adewale's talent.

Vic Carucci wrote
(May 17, 2004) -- With almost every encounter that Adewale Ogunleye had with another AFC player at last February's Pro Bowl came another compliment.

Offensive tackles told him how great he had performed in 2003 and that theirs were among the votes that resulted in the first Pro Bowl appearance of his three NFL seasons.

Fellow defensive ends told him how much they admired his playing style and that they even had copied some of his pass-rushing moves.

Pretty heady stuff, to say the least. ...

Don't be misled by the gaudy sack numbers. Ogunleye plays the strong side, which means he must utilize every bit of the muscle on his 6-foot-4, 255-pound frame to handle the run.

"I knew, for me to play with the Dolphins, I was going to have to play the run first," he said. "They already had their pass rusher in Jason. They needed a guy who was at least going to be stable against the run.

"I was able to do that, and have the pass-rushing skills, so it kind of makes me a complete defensive end. I can play with a lot of technique, a lot of power, and then I get to the quarterback. All around, I think my game is getting to where I want it to be."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7337582

That article has some good background information to help explain that even if Jason took all the double teams and the secondary helped tremendously, Wale is a pro bowl caliber DE and will have a great career.

I don't like the talk of holdout either but don't let that confuse you into thinking Ogun is not a premier player. The problems are that he is still a RFA which gives the team leverage and the Dolphins have to fit his contract into the cap for a few years.

Rick Spielman does not always tell the truth in public but remember he has said the Dolphins consider him a core player and will not trade him. We'll see if he gets traded.

Ohiophinphan said:
How about Ogunleye for Ramsey straight up?

That is a thought worth considering espically with Ramseys low cap figure. Then we could dump dumbo next yr.

Ogun for Ramsey sounds good but its not going to happen.This regime needs to trade for a No 1 pick next year or someone who could help them this year.Anyway I dont see the Fins paying starter money to three different QBs unless they cut Jay which is not going to happen as he is the only one who knows the system.

CrunchTime said:
Ogun for Ramsey sounds good but its not going to happen.This regime needs to trade for a No 1 pick next year or someone who could help them this year.Anyway I dont see the Fins paying starter money to three different QBs unless they cut Jay which is not going to happen as he is the only one who knows the system.

I would want washington to give us Ramsey and a second rounder or there first only. I would pull the trigger at this point. But i got the feeling like Rosencamerahogger is just starting up some demand that really isnt there.

ckparrothead said:
He's trying to get paid what the league would be willing to pay him, the Dolphins just know better because they've seen up close that Ogunleye has some problems that they aren't willing to pay him ridiculous amounts of money for. One is that I firmly believe he could not come anywhere close to reproducing his sack results without Jason Taylor and a stellar secondary. Overall last year we had a great secondary because T-Buck played the nickel better than Jamar had been playing it, and even though our safeties struggled over the top on long passes some, Surtain was All-Pro material and Madison did pretty well just not as well as usual.

Ogunleye seems to me like he picks up a lot of coverage sacks. And I insist that yes, he benefits from Jason Taylor being opposite him just as Taylor benefits from Ogunleye being opposite him (JT had an off year you could tell, in any other year without Ogun that would have been a single digit sack year for JT).

He goes to another team without our secondary or a rush-end like JT (ehem Washington), he gets 7 sacks at most.

I still dont buy this. Does he benefit from JT? sure, who wouldnt? But one on one, he beats people continously. He has power. He has moves. He has talent. You cant deny that.

I think the bottom line is that nothing has changed. If a team wants to give us some ridiculous package for Ogun, then we will trade him. If not, we will keep and sign him.

The rest is just filler.

Maybe I have selective memory, however I don't remember Ogun blowing passed the Right Tackle and making the sack. I remember the quarterback going back to pass, waiting, waiting, waiting and then sacked by Ogun. Plus I remember, the "Oh Crap, Jason Taylor" then sacked by Ogun.

I could see Jacksonville coming into the picture and offering up there 1st rounder but I think it is highly more likely that Washington will come in and pull off a deal. I mean lets face it, "Black Hole" Snyder has to suck in every avaliable player that he thinks will help his team. Given his reputation it won't take much for ol' Danny to think O-gun is a superstar and he'll make a play for him. Like someone said before, I'd like to see either Washington offer up Ramsey and 2nd rd. or their first rounder. Now that being said if Washington and Jacksonville both offer up their first rounder, I'd have to go with Jacksonville's pick thinking that Washington is going to finish well ahead of the Jags.

The dilemma then comes up: If Jacksonville offers us their first rounder and Washington offers up the Ramsey/2nd rd. Which to take. To me Ramsey has all the makings of a nice starting QB with plenty of room to develop. But on the other hand, Jacksonville's 1st is probably going to be a top 10 pick. Thought I doubt Washington is going to trade Ramsey, given Brunell's injury history.

Something else we might need to take in to perspective. How much does O-gun like it in Florida? Would he rather play in Jacksonville and make a deal with Washington impossible? I'd say no, he seems like a guy that is all about the money. And for that reason, I want him out of Miami...

Back
Top Bottom