Tyson v. McBride | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Tyson v. McBride

Amidst all the inane smack talk is an interesting debate: is Tyson one of the top 10 heavyweights of all time? Frankly, I think it's a good question. I seriously doubt he makes top 5. Other things being equal, does Tyson in his prime beat Ali, Louis, Frazier, Foreman, Johnson or Marciano in their primes? Maybe he beats Marciano, if only because Marciano was a very undersized champion. But then, if we're making things equal, we give Rocky 6 months of modern training and bulking up, and then it's a very tough call. I'm not sure he would have beaten Larry Holmes in his prime, either; the version he beat was a worn-out old man.

Tyson probably belongs in the next tier with Lewis, Dempsey, Liston, Patterson and Holyfield. Even his biggest detractors can't deny that the pre-Douglas Tyson was an absolute force of nature. No, the quality of his competition wasn't the greatest, but you could say that for a lot of great champions. Marciano beat some undersized heavyweights and a way-past-his prime Joe Louis. Holmes beat a way-past-his-prime Muhammad Ali. Lewis was heavyweight champion at a time when the heavyweight division was maybe the worst it's ever been. Tyson beat the guys he beat in such a dominating fashion that it doesn't seem fair to deride him for his opponents; a man can only fight the guys out there.

I'm still really shocked Tyson just quit. I'm not a big boxing fan but it always drew my attention whenever Tyson boxed, and I just find it disrespectful to the sport how he would just quit and obviously prove that he was doing it just for the money to pay his bills and nothing more. I'm really surprised. I'm also praying it isn't going to be the same exact situation for Ricky Williams.

painnotpleasure said:
I'm still really shocked Tyson just quit. I'm not a big boxing fan but it always drew my attention whenever Tyson boxed, and I just find it disrespectful to the sport how he would just quit and obviously prove that he was doing it just for the money to pay his bills and nothing more. .

He's one of the Top 5 or Top 10 of all time though......:rofl3:

Yeah ok whatever!

Good post I couldn't agree more!

Tyson doesn't have it anymore and it was more evident then ever last night. He hit McBride with some punches that used to send opponents to the canvas and last night those punches did nothing. I actually thought it was one of Mike's better performances in a while and I was actually excited about Mike because he had gotten rounds under his belt and was still throwing which led me to believe he was actually in shape. How wrong I was. It's time to bury Mike Tyson the boxer...he's done!

I watched the Cotto fight instead. I wish I would have seen the fight on the Cotto undercard. That one looked like it was a great fight.

Anyway, the biggest punch in the fight was landed by Abdullaev in the 3rd(?) round. Had Cotto on the ropes and landed a huge straight right dead-center to Cotto's face. Cotto was hurt for about a minute but recovered.

Cotto just outclassed him after that. Abdullaev was a good opponent though. He was tough. He's the kind of fighter that a rising star like Cotto needs to experience on his way up.

Abdullaev swelled up pretty badly in a hurry. Not only did his right eye close, but the entire right side of his head/face swelled up like a balloon. I can't blame him for quitting. It looked like his head was going to pop. Ironically, I turned to ESPN and Hasim Rahman was on there. You may remember Rahman's face growing an alien a few years ago (swelling).

Anyway, much better fight. And it was free. Thanks HBO. Next week we've got Glenn Johnson-Antonio Tarver II on HBO. I will be watching that one.

"Tyson beat the guys he beat in such a dominating fashion that it doesn't seem fair to deride him for his opponents; a man can only fight the guys out there."

Why is it not fair? He didnt fight Holyfield in his prime when he had the chance, Holyfield was the best fighter out there. Tyson didnt fight all the guys out there, he handpicked chumps to get sensational knockouts. Tyson had all the talent in the world, he could have been a top 5 heavyweight, but he chose the easy cash and to follow Don King's orders and it cost him his spot.
I was watching ESPN yesterday and Hasheed Rakmon (sure I spelled that wrong) was saying about how Tyson couldnt even be put in the same league as Larry Holmes. That might be going too far, but it says what most people recognize, Tyson was potentially the best heavyweight out there, maybe ever, but he didnt beat great fighters and he has to be looked down upon by how he embarrassed himself and the sport over the last 10 years.

Pre-rape conviction, Tyson fought all comers. He and Holyfield were set to fight until Tyson went to jail.

But it's true, he didn't beat any great fighters. Larry Holmes was 39 when Tyson KO'd him. Michael Spinks was undefeated, though. And Tyson disposed of him in 91 seconds. That fight was a total mismatch though. There weren't many great fighters for Tyson to fight. Not until he got out of prison.

Off Topic: Did you know that Larry Holmes, at age 53, beat Butterbean, 34, in a 10-rounder??

Tyson is the youngest person to ever win the heavyweight championship. HOMEBOY WON IT AT 20 YEARS OLD. No one will ever come close to that again. People aren't given Tyson his props. In the 80's the dude was a monster. Tyson's reign was one of the greatest of all time even if it was short. I look at his career like I look at Terrell Davis, Grant Hill (even though he's back), and all athletes who dominated there sports but had their reign cut short by one reason or another (obviously Tyson caused his own demise). Tyson was the most excited boxer in the game and the sad part is he even when he wasn't the Tyson of old he was still the most exciting boxer in the game. I watched the fight with my boys last night. We watch every fight every saturday there's a fight on and let me tell you something, there was more excitement in the room for the Tyson fight last night then there was during any fight this year. And there's been some great fights this year. I'm sad to see Mike go but I don't want to see him in the ring again. It's like I told my boy last night, "I want Tyson to win but the sad thing is there's a good chance he could lose tonight." When someone who was once so great is degraded to that. It's time to call it a night!

"He and Holyfield were set to fight until Tyson went to jail"

Yea after he ducked him for a year and setup patsy fights to make cash. Tyson did his own legacy in. He was set. Youngest title winner, exiciting knockouts, everything was there. Yea the rape conviction was iffy at best, but surrounding himself with yesmen for trainers and Don King running his career ruined him. He could have been top 5 or the best ever instead we are arguing whether or not he's top 10. Sad really and no justification for it.

finfansince72 said:
"Tyson beat the guys he beat in such a dominating fashion that it doesn't seem fair to deride him for his opponents; a man can only fight the guys out there."

Why is it not fair? He didnt fight Holyfield in his prime when he had the chance, Holyfield was the best fighter out there. Tyson didnt fight all the guys out there, he handpicked chumps to get sensational knockouts. Tyson had all the talent in the world, he could have been a top 5 heavyweight, but he chose the easy cash and to follow Don King's orders and it cost him his spot.

Holyfield wasn't a big name until Tyson got out of jail. Unless I'm badly mistaken, both Spinks and Carl Williams were higher ranked than Holyfield at the time Tyson fought them. So he wasn't ducking Holyfield; Holyfield wasn't the appropriate challenger.

I was watching ESPN yesterday and Hasheed Rakmon (sure I spelled that wrong) was saying about how Tyson couldnt even be put in the same league as Larry Holmes. That might be going too far, but it says what most people recognize, Tyson was potentially the best heavyweight out there, maybe ever, but he didnt beat great fighters and he has to be looked down upon by how he embarrassed himself and the sport over the last 10 years.

I don't think anyone denies that. They certainly shouldn't, anyway. The best thing that could have happened to Tyson's legacy would have been him coming out of prison and just retiring for good and becoming a Buddhist monk (and yes, he actually discussed that at one point). His failure to beat Holyfield (twice) and Lewis will absolutely tarnish his legacy.

(It's Hasid Rahman, by the way. ;) )

Ya remember when Rahman had that huge swelling above his eye against hollyfield last year i think.

Does anyone think Hollyfiled can still take a good run at the title even though hes older. He looked impressive when he fought Rahman last year

wazzy said:
Ya remember when Rahman had that huge swelling above his eye against hollyfield last year i think.

Does anyone think Hollyfiled can still take a good run at the title even though hes older. He looked impressive when he fought Rahman last year

Holy should never ever be allowed in the ring again, so no, he has no chance at any title. Well maybe the title of "boxer who is nearly incapable of speaking because he fought about 10 fights too many".

That was kinda weak. Somebody else help me out with what his title should be.....

Holyfield is risking serious injury if he is allowed to fight again. He is already punch drunk. Holyfield had a great career, he was smaller than most heavyweights and still fought toe to toe with the best of em. He's fighting because he has like 20 kids with 20 different women and pays millions in childsupport.

Back
Top Bottom