UFC 61: Bitter Rivals | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

UFC 61: Bitter Rivals

Perfect23 said:
I hope shamrock kicks his *** this time.

I assume you didn't watch any of the Ultimate Fighter 3 shows the last few months, I can't see how anyone that did would be rooting for Shamrock over Ortiz.

MikeO said:
just remember one thing. Ortiz won the first fight. The BIG $$$$$$$$$$ fight for all involved is the 3rd fight.

Which means Shamrock must win this Saturday. And Ortiz with a "knee injury" has a built in excuse if he loses.

Im not saying this stuff is fixed, but the BIG $$$$$$$$$$$ is in the 3rd fight, not the 2nd fight!

Realistically I don't see that happening. Ortiz's knee has been completely checked out okay and it pretty obvious he's in much better shape and just absolutely DOMINATED Shamrock the first time.

Motion said:
I assume you didn't watch any of the Ultimate Fighter 3 shows the last few months, I can't see how anyone that did would be rooting for Shamrock over Ortiz.

I can cause I am.

shipwreck said:
Arlovski vs Silvia
I see Arlovski winning, but you never know when a random shin or punch will come and upset the fight, which Silva's pretty well known for. To me Silvia looks like a clumsy gimp in the ring. His movement seems almost unnatural, he looks bow legged, and all I can think of are chickenwings when the guy throws a punch. That being said He's HUGE and can really do some dammage so who knows. He's too big to be taken to the ground, so we'll see this sat. who's stand up is best.

It's precisely because of this perception many underestimate him. It's also because of that Sylvia decided to use steroids (until he was caught). Either way, physical appearance can be (and in his case is) deceptive.

In stand-up Sylvia is probably better than Arlovski. The one weakness he has (or seems to have) is submission and defending it (it's how Arlovski won the first time). Thing is, he's been training with the Miletich group, so that part of his arsenal should be getting up to par (though not on the same level as Arlovski).

Either way, neither of these guys are in the top 3 worldwide in their weightclass, so this fight is a bit of an anticlimax. I'm just hoping Ortiz shuts up Shamrock (Ortiz will probably win - that's not the point. The question is will Shamrock finally shut up about him being so deserving of respect??!!!).

Tonight should be Shamrocks last night eating solid foods for awhile, Tito's
the next generation! Can't wait to see George St Pierre as next seasons
coach. :canada:

CDNPHIN said:
Tonight should be Shamrocks last night eating solid foods for awhile, Tito's
the next generation! Can't wait to see George St Pierre as next seasons
coach. :canada:

Actually, Tito was last generation. He used to be the light heavyweight champion until Couture and Liddell showed us they were better. It's just that in this fight we are seeing a dinosaur, Shamrock (like Gracie, though more all-rounded), fight a recent former champ.

I also hope St. Pierre is a coach for next season, but it probably won't happen; it's not clear who the other coach would be in his case. More likely is Sylvia and Arlovski (they want rivals remember?), unless they want Hughes as coach again.

By the way, it'll be hard for St. Pierre to beat Hughes in their title match sometime this year (I'm saying this since you're Canadian), but it will be a great match. Hughes's only weakness is getting choked out, and St. Pierre almost did that to him last time, but other than that Hughes's wrestling skills should make him the favorite. Those two are the best welterweights in the world hands down though.

ckb2001 said:
Actually, Tito was last generation. He used to be the light heavyweight champion until Couture and Liddell showed us they were better. It's just that in this fight we are seeing a dinosaur, Shamrock (like Gracie, though more all-rounded), fight a recent former champ.

I also hope St. Pierre is a coach for next season, but it probably won't happen; it's not clear who the other coach would be in his case. More likely is Sylvia and Arlovski (they want rivals remember?), unless they want Hughes as coach again.

Next season isn't like the first 3 seasons. Next season they are doing established UFC guys. It won't be kids or unkowns.

They are changing the show for Season 4

MikeO said:
Next season isn't like the first 3 seasons. Next season they are doing established UFC guys. It won't be kids or unkowns.

They are changing the show for Season 4

You mean the contestants? 'Cuz the coaches in all 3 seasons so far are established guys, namely champs or recent champs except for Shamrock, who was a champ long time ago.

Sylvia and Arlovski are the two most established heavyweights in UFC (though not worldwide), so I'm not sure how what you said changes their selection for the coaches (they still want high ratings, meaning any rivalry is welcome: Sylvia vs Arlovski makes the most sense..)

Would love to have Hughes & St.Pierre, with a title match at the end. I'm a
big fan of George, but love watchin' Hughes fight! Friggin powerhouse!!!
As for Sylvia I can see it, But Arlovski is'nt really T.V material.

ckb2001 said:
You mean the contestants? 'Cuz the coaches in all 3 seasons so far are established guys, namely champs or recent champs except for Shamrock, who was a champ long time ago.

Sylvia and Arlovski are the two most established heavyweights in UFC (though not worldwide), so I'm not sure how what you said changes their selection for the coaches (they still want high ratings, meaning any rivalry is welcome: Sylvia vs Arlovski makes the most sense..)

The coaches are established but the contestants are established guys this time not unkowns.

Randy and St.Piere are the coaches

Don King and Vince McMahon are smiling from ear to ear. UFC just pissed away that consumer PPV dollar!

Ortiz vs Shamrock and the stopage.......that just KILLED UFC's future business on PPV! All the hype and you have the ref stop it 1 min in??? A JOKE!!!! A short match on PPV isn't a problem, a short match a BS ending and a BS ref stopage is a death nail for UFC!

They just burned a ton of first time UFC viewers on PPV. And I highly doubt they will get them back.

MikeO said:
Don King and Vince McMahon are smiling from ear to ear. UFC just pissed away that consumer PPV dollar!

Ortiz vs Shamrock and the stopage.......that just KILLED UFC's future business on PPV! All the hype and you have the ref stop it 1 min in??? A JOKE!!!! A short match on PPV isn't a problem, a short match a BS ending and a BS ref stopage is a death nail for UFC!

They just burned a ton of first time UFC viewers on PPV. And I highly doubt they will get them back.

why did they stop it so soon?

Back
Top Bottom