Unofficial 2012 Dolphins Depth Chart - UPDATED 09/18/12 At 7:56PM ET | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Unofficial 2012 Dolphins Depth Chart - UPDATED 09/18/12 At 7:56PM ET

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, attached to this thread, you can download a Depth Chart in PDF format for the 2012 Miami Dolphins. This is a way we can follow our team being built.

As players are added/released/numbers changed, etc. this Depth Chart will be updated to reflect those changes. Of course this is NOT an official depth chart for the 2012 season. The only official depth chart will be released by head coach Joe Philbin during training camp. This is a nice way to follow our team and where we stand position wise during free agency and the draft, that just a plain roster list can not. (Current Depth Chart reflects a 3-4 defense)

Since changes to the depth chart can change on a daily basis and from practice to practice, it is possible the depth chart could be updated more than once during the course of any given day. Since that is the case, in addition to giving the date that it was updated, I will also include the time in Eastern Standard Time that it was updated.

Players in BLUE indicate unsigned Restricted Free Agents that the Dolphins have the right to place tenders on. Another team is welcome to try and sign these players, but may be required to give the Dolphins compensation in return. Also, if signed by another team, the Dolphins have the right to match the offer and retain the player.

Players in GREEN indicate unsigned Exclusive-Rights Free Agents. These players will receive a qualifying offer from the Dolphins. If the offer is made, the player has two choices, A) Accept the offer and play for the Dolphins, or B) Refuse the offer and sit out the season. These players can not talk to any other NFL team. As long as the Dolphins make a qualifying offer, the team will hold their rights for the entire 2012 season.

Players in RED indicate unsigned 2012 NFL Draft choices made by the Dolphins.

Don't see one of your favorite players from last year on this list? Most likely it is because those players are unrestricted free agents and free to sign with any team in the league. However, the Dolphins could bring back any of these players by either A) Signing them to a new contract, or B) Giving the player the Franchise or Transition Tag.

Please feel free to offer your input, discuss the roster and point out any mistakes or updates.

Please enjoy!

As of right now, Roberto Wallace should be ahead of Gates who has done basically nothing.

As of right now, Roberto Wallace should be ahead of Gates who has done basically nothing.

It is an unofficial depth chart so things will change. However, what has Wallace really done? He has 6 catches in two seasons. Granted Gates only had 2 catches in his rookie season, but at least he had over 800 return yards. Both haven't done really anything, but I would say right now Gates has done more.

The WR, TE, and RB battles interest me much more than the QB battle. Especially the WRs.

And what's this about Murtha starting? Why would it not be Jonathan Martin? If we resign Long and then draft a guard in the first three rounds next year, this unit could be tops in the NFL no question

I also think Jovorskie Lane will be our starting FB. He's 5'11", 277. He has at least 25 lbs on most linebackers, and at 5'11'', there's no question he'll get lower. I'm excited about the blocking and short yardage potential for this guy. He runs people over. Clay will see more time at TE and in the slot, or motioning out of the backfield. He is very much an H-back (like Chris Cooley) and not a true FB or TE.

I don't think Clemons is cut out for the Strong. I think he is a more natural Free, and I think Wilson is a more natural Strong. The safety battle is really the only defensive battle

Last edited by a moderator:
The WR, TE, and RB battles interest me much more than the QB battle. Especially the WRs.

And what's this about Murtha starting? Why would it not be Jonathan Martin? If we resign Long and then draft a guard in the first three rounds next year, this unit could be tops in the NFL no question

I also think Jovorskie Lane will be our starting FB. He's 5'11", 277. He has at least 25 lbs on most linebackers, and at 5'11'', there's no question he'll get lower. I'm excited about the blocking and short yardage potential for this guy. He runs people over. Clay will see more time at TE and in the slot, or motioning out of the backfield. He is very much an H-back (like Chris Cooley) and not a true FB or TE.

I don't think Clemons is cut out for the Strong. I think he is a more natural Free, and I think Wilson is a more natural Strong. The safety battle is really the only defensive battle

I know how you feel. Their style of play would dictate that, but when you look at their size (Wilson 5'11" 185lbs; and Clemons 6'1" 210 lbs) it might explain why they are in their current positions. If you could match Clemons' size with Wilson's style of play, then we would have the ideal strong saftety; and if you matched Wilson's size with Clemons' style of play, that would be more suitable for the FS spot. Based on Wilson's size alone, I don't think he can handle the SS spot on a regular basis, he has the heart and tenacity for it but his body would not stand the constant banging he would have to do in the box. But we have a new D-coord. and I hear alot about how his secondary personnel will be interchangeable, so we'll see how it works out.

The person whose size and style of play that appears (to me) as a perfect fit for the SS position is Reshad Jones. Move Jones to SS and they should let Clemons and Wilson battle it out for the FS spot.

Also, I would like to see more from Jonathan Wade (he has been impressive early on), Richard Marshall, and Tyrell Johnson. If these three step up, our secondary will be very deep and more versatile than we ever had in the past.

The "Unofficial 2012 Dolphins Depth Chart" should also include KR and PR.

Crazy seeing Vontae on the 2nd team

The quarterback order will change before the beginning of the season.

Been looking everywhere on the web for this, and of course, here it is, yet I can't open it..lol

Back
Top Bottom